advertisement

Amazon launch HiRes streaming.

Looks like I've received a similar message, but offering me a free 1 months trial followed by the "Studio Premier" @ £14.99 p.c.m.

P.S. The offer is available until 31/05/20......great news!

I'm a month into a three month free trial of Amazon HD. I'm finding everything sounds fantastic, I'll be renewing for sure and ditching Spotify premium. I'm streaming through Chord Mojo into hifi.

I'm a month into a three month free trial of Amazon HD. I'm finding everything sounds fantastic, I'll be renewing for sure and ditching Spotify premium. I'm streaming through Chord Mojo into hifi.
What do you play Amazon HD with? A Windows laptop, a Mac, a streamer, an Amazon device?

Last edited:
I'd like to know that too! I'm wondering how to feed it through my Melco/Dave.
I tried it out using Amazon’s own app and a laptop vis USB. You could do the same straight into your DAVE. It’s OK, but the search is grim, there’s no obvious way of organising your favourites, and you have to manually change the sample rate etc. to match whatever you are playing otherwise Windows will override it. They also say they can change the sample rate dynamically to cope with internet speed issues, which is something I’d prefer to control myself. You could probably also try it from a Mac, or an iPad or iPhone using the little lightning to USB adaptor thingy. But, especially now that Qobuz has got to be very nearly the same price, I don’t think it’s particularly worth having. Amazon show no signs of collaborating with people like Roon, Linn, J River etc. so the chances of Melco getting a solution aren’t that high I suspect. Possibly Amazon want to sell you their little Echo thingies that you can talk to. Why anyone would need hi res for one of those is beyond me.

What do you play Amazon HD with? A Windows laptop, a Mac, a streamer, an Amazon device?
An iPod touch (fed to Mojo via camera connection cable). What an incredible bargain way to get such a sound. It's 24bit 192khz capable. Gen 6 iPod (what I use) can be had for £65 on eBay. Or latest Gen £185 new. It's seeing off my Naim CDI player which I thought was superb. You can force app to use HD only.

....could also use iPad if you need bigger display. The camera connection cable to Mojo also has connection for usb power so no battery worries on the iPad/ iPod. Only thing missing from app is remote control like Spotify has. I hope they'll sort that soon, it's very useful.

An iPod touch (fed to Mojo via camera connection cable). What an incredible bargain way to get such a sound. It's 24bit 192khz capable. Gen 6 iPod (what I use) can be had for £65 on eBay. Or latest Gen £185 new. It's seeing off my Naim CDI player which I thought was superb. You can force app to use HD only.

Be careful! Last time I dared to suggest an inherently low-powered or even battery-powered simple device could see off fancy streamers with their disc drives and high powered CPUs and CD readers and servers and USB conditioners I got blocked from the thread!

advertisement

Back