advertisement

Amazon basics banana plugs

Really? it seems pretty similar to me. The same cable trolls popping up to chuckle at at anyone who might wish to pay more than £1.50 for cable, the same virtue signalling and snide mention of expensive/thick/ mains cables, the same deification of Amazon Basics cables and accessories.
Nah.... nothing new here. Same people, same sh*t.

You’re probably right...

s-l300.jpg

And colours. And shrinkage (2-1, 3-1). And glued/not glued. And wall thickness. And printed/unprinted. And bifurcated or straight.
:D
Is it directional?

Telling people they should spend their hard-earned money elsewhere or better isn’t trolling at all.
It’s honest advice based on a long experience and theoretical knowledge.

You sir are the very definition of a clown by telling people how to spent their trivial money.

Ah you have a problem with people who actually know what they are talking about then. It's a sign of the times unfortunately. Those who think mains cables make a difference at least give 5G conspiracy believers someone to look down on.

But you do not know what you are talking about. HiFi historically is about pre 1960s and later classical music, classical music is something you do not know anything about, any concerts you have attended?

As for mains cables, cleaning the contacts of mains plugs certainly improves the sound, forget the width of the cable. I have been 50 years playing this game. Your opinions are usually merely concepts...:)

FWIW I always use this type of plug (eBay, though widely available elsewhere). I screw the cable in, then solder it and finally use coloured heat-shrink, which results in a neat joint that will last forever without corrosion or working loose

Ah, er well, you may be surprised...well known failure mechanism with SnPb solder and gold is the formation of intermetallics which are brittle and fail easily. Now you may never see them in the plug and the screw will hold tight but IIRC you should ensure a maximum gold content of 3% by weight.
So in effect, use non gold plated or scrape the gold off the solder joint area or add some solder to the area and then remove to reduce the gold at the interface.

Alternatively, as this isn't a military or medical grade application, keep calm and carry on.....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's a very limited view. If you only include acoustic music, there is also jazz, and even folk music.

Fair enough I was pushing the point. When I used ESL57s I read the spiel about which seat in the audience that the speakers were representing, of course it was volume dependent, and the volume should be altered for the best effect. Electronic music and electronic guitar music is not HiFi, just sound effects. Jazz music I have attended live have nearly always used a PA system. Folk music?

Well I decided to give my qed original speaker cables a treat by actually terminating them with some of these banana plugs.
They are deadbolt types so no soldering needed.
Very good they are as well, £11 for 6 pairs.
Guess what?
The sound is exactly the same as when they were bare wires!
Saves me re-terminating them once a year though.
Also I recently decided to buy a previously enjoyed Marantz 6000 OSE cdp and use it into my Cambridge audio streammagic 6 as a transport.
I have been listening to the same albums either from the analogue outputs of the Marantz, as a transport via its digital out and streamed flac files from a usb plugged directly into the streammagic 6.
Very hard to distinguish any real differences.
Certainly would fail miserably in a blind test.
It all sounds great though so I can’t be deaf.
I also acquired a Khozmo passive pre recently and it is utterly transparent, I love it.

TL Edit: Amazon link.
I have a 6000 ose too..and a special edition one? Both in loft...my ose transformer hummed.. unbearable. I just got a schiit sys passive pre...love it but do you find with the passive it's a lot more in your face?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Really? it seems pretty similar to me. The same cable trolls popping up to chuckle at at anyone who might wish to pay more than £1.50 for cable, the same virtue signalling and snide mention of expensive/thick/ mains cables, the same deification of Amazon Basics cables and accessories.
Nah.... nothing new here. Same people, same sh*t.
I'm using LFD cables..some of us still believe

But you do not know what you are talking about. HiFi historically is about pre 1960s and later classical music, classical music is something you do not know anything about, any concerts you have attended?

As for mains cables, cleaning the contacts of mains plugs certainly improves the sound, forget the width of the cable. I have been 50 years playing this game. Your opinions are usually merely concepts...:)
Before covid, I had three mahler concerts to go to..next year now, hopefully...if anyone has never been to a classical music concert? Try Mahler's 2nd symphony..its awesome...never forgotten!

Fair enough I was pushing the point. When I used ESL57s I read the spiel about which seat in the audience that the speakers were representing, of course it was volume dependent, and the volume should be altered for the best effect. Electronic music and electronic guitar music is not HiFi, just sound effects. Jazz music I have attended live have nearly always used a PA system. Folk music?
I still use ESL57 speakers for acoustic music.
I’ve got bigger speakers with 95 dB sensitivity and 15 inch woofers (not ported) for the rest of my music (not hi-fi then).

advertisement

Back