advertisement

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana, or something else?

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana or something else?

• Total voters
I don't mind the $400 expense for a component but I cant help the nagging feeling that paying for a lifetime in a product category where improvements are happening almost daily is fundamentally wrong. I would be uncomfortable about shutting myself off from the next new cool software forever.

I don't mind the $400 expense for a component but I cant help the nagging feeling that paying for a lifetime in a product category where improvements are happening almost daily is fundamentally wrong. I would be uncomfortable about shutting myself off from the next new cool software forever.
So rent it. Less than £2 a week. Another £4 or so for Qobuz or Tidal. Don’t worry about shutting yourself off from some hypothetical future, worry about what you are missing right now.

I wish that Spotify had Hi Res albums.. I wouldn’t mind paying more.. there are some albums on Qobuz I miss..

One thing to clarify re Roon integration of Tidal and Qobuz is that the integration is seamless, appearing the same way local albums do. From a search perspective you’re not limited to tidal or qobuz metadata - Roon does a great job integrating their metadata with Roon’s own and they’re doing a lot of work on the cloud side to ensure quality metadata in the UI.

Whilst I no longer stream as I’ve got a huge local library collected over decades and still being added to, Roon still provides a very compelling value proposition in terms of ease of use, it’s UI and most importantly (for me) the ability to explore my collection in ways that just aren’t possible on any other platform I’ve come across. That capability alone means I explore an artist’s work and discover collaborations etc. I wasn’t necessarily aware of, giving me a new appreciation of the music I’ve collected. Add to that Roon Radio’s ability to pick music based on an artist, album, track or genre I’ve played and perpetually keep exploring the corners of my library and it’s a winner for active and passive listening.

That I get to run the server on Linux was the deal clincher for me - if it was win or mac only I’d still be on LMS.

$499 for a lifetime license (whilst still available) is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
As evand said above the exploring is quite fun and sometimes surprising (no Tidal or Qobuz as yet).

I let "Roon Radio" take over at the end of an album and it often has me going over to the screen to see what is playing.
It sometimes comes up with some quite surprising associations e.g. from Norwegian pagan folk artist Runahild to Korean girls' band Momoland to Finnish pop singer Aurora...

As evand said above the exploring is quite fun and sometimes surprising (no Tidal or Qobuz as yet).

I let "Roon Radio" take over at the end of an album and it often has me going over to the screen to see what is playing.
It sometimes comes up with some quite surprising associations e.g. from Norwegian pagan folk artist Runahild to Korean girls' band Momoland to Finnish pop singer Aurora...

Yes there’s no radio or such on Amarra...

advertisement

Back