advertisement

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana, or something else?

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana or something else?

• Total voters
Glad to be of service bud :D

You could always trial this with your laptop by downloading the Windows roonserver version?
PS, Try it on battery only and try both USB inputs.

Put the equalisation facility to one side.

Do you think that given the same input, Roon sounds better than (eg) LMS?

Are there other aspects of Roon which make it special? For example, search. Is the UI so much better than, f.e., Squeezepad?

Depending on how you answer I may give it a trial when I get back to London.

Yes, with no dsp configured, flat etc it sounds better than AV+ to me. A bit less forward/ edgy.
Yes, the UI is wayyyy slicker & better than anything else I’ve tried.
Yes, trial it yourself when you have the time.
I trialled it with a large degree of scepticism & especially wrt the price. After two weeks or so, there was no way back to AV+ for me.

Roon doesn't support Spotify or YouTube, so no. Your own music and Qobuz/Tidal yes, it can be done easily.

That’s a weakness. Spotify is useful not only because it includes a lot of music which Qobuz lacks, but also because its tagging is better than Qobuz, and its search facility is IMO more intuitive, ultimately and ironically this making it sometimes more possible to find music on Qobuz (because you see to search Qobuz via tags you may not have thought of yourself! And you can use the Spotify metadata to find it in Qobuz) So it looks like, for this reason, Roon is not for me.

YouTube I can live without!

Yes, with no dsp configured, flat etc it sounds better than AV+ to me. A bit less forward/ edgy.
Yes, the UI is wayyyy slicker & better than anything else I’ve tried.
Yes, trial it yourself when you have the time.
I trialled it with a large degree of scepticism & especially wrt the price. After two weeks or so, there was no way back to AV+ for me.

Thanks but see my post above.

Glad to be of service bud :D

You could always trial this with your laptop by downloading the Windows roonserver version?
PS, Try it on battery only and try both USB inputs.

Windows? I have to use a PC, thats against my religion.

Just looking at the USB on the QNAP, according to this video, it says its not a direct access port?

Doubt Spotify will ever be integrated into roon, its still lossy isn't it?

It is, and the sound is poor, nevertheless it is for me essential for the reasons above.

The last time I tried Tidal the search engine and tagging was worse than Qobuz, and even the order of tracks in an album was often wrong. since then Qobuz has deteriorated so maybe the difference is not so marked. Still, I’ve not yet come across a case in Qobuz with the tracks out of order.

Other people I know who listen to classical music have reported similar problems with Qobuz and Tidal metadata and search, it may well be less of an issue in other genres.

Windows? I have to use a PC, thats against my religion.

Just looking at the USB on the QNAP, according to this video, it says its not a direct access port?

It is if you have QNAPs mediaserver installed ( i also have dbpoweramp's asset6.2 installed for uPNP duties). Then you can also create a share folder for movies and have them picked up by your smart DLNA/TV. This how i have mine setup.

Thinking there's a MAC OS version too.... see:
https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

It is, and the sound is poor, nevertheless it is for me essential for the reasons above.

The last time I tried Tidal the search engine and tagging was worse than Qobuz, and even the order of tracks in an album was often wrong. since then Qobuz has deteriorated so maybe the difference is not so marked. Still, I’ve not yet come across a case in Qobuz with the tracks out of order.

Other people I know who listen to classical music have reported similar problems with Qobuz and Tidal metadata and search, it may well be less of an issue in other genres.

I mostly listen to classical music, mostly from Qobuz ( though usually through Roon). I’ve not encountered any issues with metadata or search that I couldn't live with or accomodate to. Roon does have acknowledged issues with the speed of search. Given that just about everyone who likes classical music has a perfectly reasonable but completely different idea of how metadata and search should work it’s perhaps not surprising that some folk have problems accomodating. But I can usually find what I am looking for much quicker than I ever could in Tower Records.

This seems to be largely about Roon now, but fwiw I was a fan of JRiver until I updated to jrmc25: now it freezes regularly and won't load any URL, and I'm looking to replace it. The business model was built on relentless development, and to my mind it's now way too big, too complicated and has too many facilities I'll never use.
(I loathe Windows for the same reason - has anyone successfully used that thumb drive loaded with linux(?))

This seems to be largely about Roon now, but fwiw I was a fan of JRiver until I updated to jrmc25: now it freezes regularly and won't load any URL, and I'm looking to replace it. The business model was built on relentless development, and to my mind it's now way too big, too complicated and has too many facilities I'll never use.
(I loathe Windows for the same reason - has anyone successfully used that thumb drive loaded with linux(?))

I was a J River fan too, but I can’t see they have a future since they refuse to embrace streaming. And it certainly is overloaded. Reading between the lines I think the boss wants to throw in the towel.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121777.0.html

That’s a weakness. Spotify is useful not only because it includes a lot of music which Qobuz lacks, but also because its tagging is better than Qobuz, and its search facility is IMO more intuitive, ultimately and ironically this making it sometimes more possible to find music on Qobuz (because you see to search Qobuz via tags you may not have thought of yourself! And you can use the Spotify metadata to find it in Qobuz) So it looks like, for this reason, Roon is not for me.

YouTube I can live without!

Spotify has a variety of selection and great features to never stop listen to the music. But I’m my opinion Qobuz’s sound quality simply can’t be compared to Spotify.

Why I still think Amarra is a no brainer when it comes to sound quality?
In my opinion Roon sound is a bit aggressive compared to Amarra.
When I try same songs back to back from Roon and Amarra, Amarra always win me over.
Although, I agree roon’s functionality is superb with modern features when Amarra simply don’t care about this.
But to me is the quality of sound over easiness of use.

Why I still think Amarra is a no brainer when it comes to sound quality?
In my opinion Roon sound is a bit aggressive compared to Amarra.
When I try same songs back to back from Roon and Amarra, Amarra always win me over.
Although, I agree roon’s functionality is superb with modern features when Amarra simply don’t care about this.
But to me is the quality of sound over easiness of use.
What DAC do you have that is so sensitive to the player?

What DAC do you have that is so sensitive to the player?
Hi Andy,

I have a Teac ud 501 and a Nad s170. Not the most expensive I can say but they do the job.

But I tried the software on a friend who s got a chord Dave.
I could hear the difference..

Neither software should have a sound if setup correctly

This sounds very reasonable, but maybe someone who knows better will explain why it isn’t a priori true and that the people who claim otherwise aren’t just deceiving themselves.

There’s a certain feeling of déjà vu about all of this.

advertisement

Back