Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

alternative to Naim Nac A5

Discussion in 'audio' started by Conan, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Conan

Conan Loop digger

My main system compromises:
    Sonos Connect
    Audiolab M Dac
    Naim Nait 2 CB
    Usher S520 speakers

Im currently using Rega quartet speaker cable.
    I have tried naim speaker cable in the past and enjoyed the sound but they are very tough and not flexible.

What alternatives are there on the market?

2. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Mogami 2972.

3. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

Van Damme Toure Black 2.5mm.

Regards,

Martin

4. Cyreg

Cyreg pfm Member

Nait 2 CB needs low capacitance cable (= NOT Rega) for powerstability
    NAC A5 is a very good (for older and new Naim amps) but very inflexible cable and also very expensive nowadays!

So I would suggest Linn K20 cable at much lower cost and OK for Nait2 use

5. BlueYeti

BlueYeti pfm Member

6. Stemcor

Stemcor I should be listening to music

Other manufacturers to consider are Avondale black link (I replaced A5 with black link because of problems with the stiffness of A5) but not sure if it is still available, Teddy Pardo cable would work well. I use it with my TP amps and I'm very happy. If you want to be adventurous then consider NVA. Their cables are low capacitance and they have offerings to suit all budgets.

7. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

That N2 cable is very expensive.
    Surely you have to try it first before forking out that sort of money.

8. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Avondale Black Link.

9. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Another Black Link user here. Very very flexible, a sensible price, and I'm sure it was better with high frequencies than NACA5 was for me.

10. fay spook

fay spook pfm Member

And I am sure they will have a loaner pair to try.

Chord company. But they start getting expensive.

11. syep2001

syep2001 pfm Member

Use K20 with my Nait 2. Plenty flexible and the correct spec for the Nait.

12. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

As well as the K20, Exposure and Cable Talk 3 are very similar alternatives.

13. dubblebubble

dubblebubble pfm Member

I think Witch Hat offer a 30 day return on cables...

14. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

wow didnt know you could still get cabletalk. I ve had mine v2 I think since early 80's

15. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

The older NAC A4 is more flexible than A5, matches Naim well (obviously) and can be picked up at a reasonable price.

16. mjw

mjw pfm Member

"very expensive nowadays" - there are pairs available right now on this forum for not much money and it isn't as if it can wear out or anything. Try to live with a pair and if you really can't accommodate them, move them on in the classifieds for little or no loss.

17. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

18. Klyde

Klyde pfm Member

N2 (terminated) is about the same price as Black Link. With both you are supposed to be able to use shorter lengths than the Naim minimum 3.5m.

19. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Really?
    I thought that you had to use a minimum of 3.5m of speaker cable with a Nait 2?

20. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

No, you ideally need the 3.5m length for older (big) Naim amps. Having said that I have never, ever, seen a Nait2 killed by short speaker lengths and even have one myself with stupidly short lengths on it. So don't worry - just don't short out the leads, that will kill it.

And yes, we do money back after 30 days, even on custom speaker cable lengths.