alternative to Naim Nac A5

Conan

Loop digger
My main system compromises:
Sonos Connect
Audiolab M Dac
Naim Nait 2 CB
Usher S520 speakers

Im currently using Rega quartet speaker cable.
I have tried naim speaker cable in the past and enjoyed the sound but they are very tough and not flexible.

What alternatives are there on the market?

My main system compromises:
...Naim Nait 2 CB...

Im currently using Rega quartet speaker cable.
I have tried naim speaker cable in the past and enjoyed the sound but they are very tough and not flexible.

What alternatives are there on the market?

Nait 2 CB needs low capacitance cable (= NOT Rega) for powerstability
NAC A5 is a very good (for older and new Naim amps) but very inflexible cable and also very expensive nowadays!

So I would suggest Linn K20 cable at much lower cost and OK for Nait2 use

Other manufacturers to consider are Avondale black link (I replaced A5 with black link because of problems with the stiffness of A5) but not sure if it is still available, Teddy Pardo cable would work well. I use it with my TP amps and I'm very happy. If you want to be adventurous then consider NVA. Their cables are low capacitance and they have offerings to suit all budgets.

What about Witch Hat N2? In terms of sound quality its supposed to be similar to NACA5, a decent price and more user friendly in that it has flexibility.

http://www.witchhatservicing.co.uk/?page_id=650

An older review here: http://www.topaudiogear.com/index.php/witch-hat-audio-cables/

I keep meaning to pull the trigger on a pair of N2 cables to replace my ancient NACA4 speaker cable, but have just not got around to it yet!

That N2 cable is very expensive.
Surely you have to try it first before forking out that sort of money.

Another Black Link user here. Very very flexible, a sensible price, and I'm sure it was better with high frequencies than NACA5 was for me.

The older NAC A4 is more flexible than A5, matches Naim well (obviously) and can be picked up at a reasonable price.

Nait 2 CB needs low capacitance cable (= NOT Rega) for powerstability
NAC A5 is a very good (for older and new Naim amps) but very inflexible cable and also very expensive nowadays!

So I would suggest Linn K20 cable at much lower cost and OK for Nait2 use

"very expensive nowadays" - there are pairs available right now on this forum for not much money and it isn't as if it can wear out or anything. Try to live with a pair and if you really can't accommodate them, move them on in the classifieds for little or no loss.

That N2 cable is very expensive.
Surely you have to try it first before forking out that sort of money.

N2 (terminated) is about the same price as Black Link. With both you are supposed to be able to use shorter lengths than the Naim minimum 3.5m.

N2 (terminated) is about the same price as Black Link. With both you are supposed to be able to use shorter lengths than the Naim minimum 3.5m.

Really?
I thought that you had to use a minimum of 3.5m of speaker cable with a Nait 2?

No, you ideally need the 3.5m length for older (big) Naim amps. Having said that I have never, ever, seen a Nait2 killed by short speaker lengths and even have one myself with stupidly short lengths on it. So don't worry - just don't short out the leads, that will kill it.

And yes, we do money back after 30 days, even on custom speaker cable lengths.

advertisement

Back