advertisement

All turntables sound the same apparently...

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
This guy is going to tell you “all about turntables”, and you might be surprised what you learn...

I liked him and at that even price range, I agree with him in most respects. Sensible, straightforward testing. Best line in the film? 'I lied to you'. Quite.
Hard to accept for many owners I guess, but this video says much as I'd say. I suspect that if I blind tested the palmer vs any other belt drive platform at that kind of price, with similar measurements that would take the SME/Dynavector as a slot in, I'd be struggling to hear any really significant changes, or any at all. Cartridges are 90% of the change is a song I've been singing here for decades, but some major manufacturers have worked hard to make this a myth, and wanted to sell their own myth as truth. That'll take some undoing but as he said, and worth repeating...I lied to you.

I agree with the Blu-Ray disc comment , I only have 10 from the Pure Audio range ,excellent .

I only need to spend £100 on a turntable then.
Lol
What was tested were 4 decks with a similar low value. Id hazard that at around 3/400 pounds you can find their equal, and if it has low noise etc, as he detailed, then it will be fine yes.
I think the AT he used is 100ish. Cartridge to arm matching is much more critical. I wouldn’t put thousands of pounds worth of cartridge on those arms, but if you want to you could.

Actually I did once attach a DV20x to my Rega P2 , sounded shite , the Rega Bias sounded much better on this deck.

Maybe all tts do not sound the same after all !

boring as in you bought a L*** and now wonder if you were duped?
or boring as in attention span is of the iphone generation...20 secs max?

Cartridges are 90% of the change is a song I've been singing here for decades, but some major manufacturers have worked hard to make this a myth, and wanted to sell their own myth as truth. That'll take some undoing but as he said, and worth repeating...I lied to you.

I like finding things out for myself rather than believing what manufacturers tell me. Side by side comparison of turntables with the same arm and cartridge have shown me that the TT really does make a difference. Easily as much as a cartridge change.

Seems quite interesting to me compared with the usual old shit. Puts me in mind of the time when the late Richard Dunn was a member here and extolled the value of DD Jap decks at the height of 'the LP12 is the best turntable in the world' era. Anyroad out of curiosity I bough a £100 Sony DD on Ebay and stood it on a chair next to my Lingo Circus Ekos Akiva LP12 on Mana Reference.
It was not bad at all! That was the end of that period of madness. Now a WT Amadeus GTA does the duties.

What gets me is how insistent he is that he’s right, even though he’s speaking to thousands of people who have well functioning ears that hear very clear differences between decks, even the surface you put them on makes a difference... they’re sensitive electromechanical devices, and they all have different imperfections which gives them their individual character... I’m a sound engineer (meaning I can reliably perceive differences) who has tried lots of different deck and he still argued with me... he’s determined not to hear differences. If he can’t hear a difference between that crappy Denon (Hanpin special which also comes with a Teac badge of you like) and an SL1200, all hope is lost of convincing him.

advertisement

Back