advertisement

All turntables sound the same apparently...

I was always, ahem, somewhat surprised to read the generous Stereophile ratings of the LP12. I didn’t know any better when I was young but when I heard alternatives it popped the bubble of unquestioning love for me. It’s only now after theyve turned it into a different machine that it can compete with references (and they want you to sell an organ for it).

I do very much like the LP12, and my favourites are the unashamedly rose-tinted/analogue sounding early ones! If I ever went back to one it would likely have a red button and something like a Grace G707 or original Mission arm, but I can’t see my TD-124 going anywhere so it is exceptionally unlikely. The LP12 remains one of the turntables I have enjoyed the most though, and it is always a pleasure to hear my old one (Cirkus, Zeta) again whenever I visit the friend who bought it from me! It’s now in a system with a Conrad Johnson pre, MF power amp and either Gale 401s or Vandersteens. The old DL-103 sounds a little blunt though!

I do very much like the LP12, and my favourites are the unashamedly rose-tinted/analogue sounding early ones! If I ever went back to one it would likely have a red button and something like a Grace G707 or original Mission arm, but I can’t see my TD-124 going anywhere so it is exceptionally unlikely. The LP12 remains one of the turntables I have enjoyed the most though, and it is always a pleasure to hear my old one (Cirkus, Zeta) again whenever I visit the friend who bought it from me! It’s now in a system with a Conrad Johnson pre, MF power amp and either Gale 401s or Vandersteens. The old DL-103 sounds a little blunt though!
Shh... he might be reading this.
I truly believe once certain level is reached , meaning stable speed with wow&flutter well below 0.1% , no electro-mechanical disturbance , all turntables sound very much the same and all differences come from cartridge-tonearm interaction and matching or cartridge setup , IMO obviously.

How does the relationship between the mechanical design of the arm and cartridge electrical loading act to affect the sound?

Good question, to which I have no answer.

The new arm is this, https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-197-simon-brown-wand-tonearm

The old arm was this, https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/10CC-Evolution-Tonearm

So 3 less bearings, 2" extra in arm length and Cardas one piece tonearm wire, those are the material differences.
Maybe the devil is in the detail, in the way that some cartridge manufacturers use Boron for cantilevers for reduced weight and increased stiffness.

The cartridge mount on The Wand is a thing, manufactured from laser sintered titanium.

419listenn.close.jpg

Maybe everything makes a difference and all turntables do not sound the same ?

As Ute Lemper once sang the case continues.

Good question, to which I have no answer.

The new arm is this, https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-197-simon-brown-wand-tonearm

The old arm was this, https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/10CC-Evolution-Tonearm

So 3 less bearings, 2" extra in arm length and Cardas one piece tonearm wire, those are the material differences.
Maybe the devil is in the detail, in the way that some cartridge manufacturers use Boron for cantilevers for reduced weight and increased stiffness.

The cartridge mount on The Wand is a thing, manufactured from laser sintered titanium.

419listenn.close.jpg

Maybe everything makes a difference and all turntables do not sound the same ?

As Ute Lemper once sang the case continues.

How would you describe the SQ differences? It’s a cracking looking arm btw

It’s a cracking looking arm btw

Indeed she has a particularly fetching rear view, I may have to place a mirror behind her.

QKhglbF6YvWWNbA4upthbIMMDrm3QPcdZLGve-qzULnsL9wtkcVQ0C_m2T47kKFiDNzn_EFLsCOpE3PxlpmjwEWHY4Ls6I6kDX4frX_r10F6zPRTmZic_brS8_YGa5XNMMYRXf8_OVRyZF9XA3TWC0eiIvHJs1098DR-6p7e4ostVdWL0tkwzR0tBVrpkUs_sv_AfqKyuPTmpUo2udbS4bRJ9PEeYjA-dsKT9lju7sycSj_IrDRLFsfOoqvA-3B0hxDJgqRp1doVpCLd_gWq4MZGYOyxdpCIZucuSRXLs3rfj715w058hpm0Dw5TTP79zwCrkaBNqQYazD6rRNmCA0ZLHcikDDAXeiNXfQW-9An541BC6aMlKfdlzCyuUt6CsxBLqPMdw1oWIjInJReEAy-pZblxBRHYyJfY7jk9UzvKqUPtOVCr5ZJr2jgJp7BtapzqHAUiKqMEpbbm5-HMTQex4fM735zAjQS7eOu9iB_6x5rSKJ1oSIHTW-1iAtXSTnH8b2ckP3DnQoEKQ9-H717x5YdBHAxIHlF6A8kOf32hUMamYXdgQLPMHbPAZ4JUVUIR6OvdFoybMj4pYSyMk7xV5O2BwGXB_Loye6Q4hNzD-SHiRQ1IrNuvDwZIn3-jfmyPYfxXG7CWxHvItPZ1L6Pt7X4T4a0OH7PFzjgcDV2tmdp3BwXQ0YQRXEmhUmBB5XszTca0dxBAvOX5hRhhSZbKKFOdPZkeLkdZd5hHy9kbQJ4=w392-h695-no

The sound is far more open and revealing of inner detail and nuance, with a soundstage greater in all three axes.
In addition to reducing the cartridge loading I have also reduced the VTA so the arm is below the horizontal line.

advertisement

Back