advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Yes, the pre-match nonsense: I suspect they may recreate a model of the Kop for the hosts to speak from in future weeks. It's like the Class of '92 re-emerging to sicken the nation.
You do realise it's a three horse race don't you? Do you also realise neutrals are watching the games and there's a certain 'entertainment' aspect to the presentation?
Moaning about everything just sucks the joy out of the game.

You do realise it's a three horse race don't you? Do you also realise neutrals are watching the games and there's a certain 'entertainment' aspect to the presentation?
Moaning about everything just sucks the joy out of the game.
Of course. And I suspect that Liverpool fans would have issues if all of the pre-match team were made up of United or City players and fans only - it is not for neutrals if only one team is represented. It's just an observation, an irritant, but only a part of the wonderful game, as that was only a small part of my recent posts.

Of course. And I suspect that Liverpool fans would have issues if all of the pre-match team were made up of United or City players and fans only - it is not for neutrals if only one team is represented. It's just an observation, an irritant, but only a part of the wonderful game, as that was only a small part of my recent posts.
But they weren't 'all made up of Liverpool players' so you are moaning about nothing.
I wanted you to lose or draw last night obviously but Foden...what an amazing lad, I'm with Richard on how he should be able to partner with Bellingham for England.

But they weren't 'all made up of Liverpool players' so you are moaning about nothing.
From memory, Carragher, Melissa Reddy and Terence, all of whom are ex Liverpool players, or fans. My post didn't say only Liverpool players. Anyway, a small part of my recent posts, which you are free to comment on, if you wish. Hopefully, you will be more occupied with your team's game tonight.

Really pleased with the Manchester City performance last night, though admittedly against a below-par, weakened Villa team. Foden is on fire, but he cannot do it without the efforts of others, and many were on their game last night. It is unfortunate that, at the moment, he is the man for the 10 role, as KDB is just not at that level right now. Amazing work, again, from Rodri, as well as Akanji, Gvardiol, Grealish and Doku, who all had good games.

From memory, Carragher, Melissa Reddy and Terence, all of whom are ex Liverpool players, or fans. My post didn't say only Liverpool players. Anyway, a small part of my recent posts, which you are free to comment on, if you wish. Hopefully, you will be more occupied with your team's game tonight.
Yes and rest assured I won't be counting how many of the pundits are ex City or Arsenal- like they even matter. I'd be more than happy if Caragher never uttered another word😀

Yes and rest assured I won't be counting how many of the pundits are ex City or Arsenal- like they even matter. I'd be more than happy if Caragher never uttered another word😀
And so say all of us. Don't worry, you won't get the chance to count - It's like the Red Room in the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Personally I’m really hoping that KdB’s sad end in last year’s Champion’s League Final wasn’t the start of a sad end and decline. Hes been the most amazing player it’s been my privilege to watch. The finest I’ve ever seen playing for our team, and I’ve seen some great ones. Who can forget Kevin Horlock for instance? It is undoubtably a fact though that last night’s team looked much more like a Pep team than we have for much of this season. Haaland is amazing, he is when you see him in the flesh a beast of a man. Centre backs bounce off him. At his best he has an unerring knack of finding the ball and putting it in the onion bag. But, I think the desire to help him score goals has unbalanced the team. In seasons past Arsenal’s deep block would have been stymied by a plethora of skilful ball playing midfielders dancing around them. We seem much more static now. In this situation Haaland doesn’t seem so effective. Physicality doesn’t help, especially when the quality of ball coming in isn’t the finest. Also, this is a desperate plea from both my coaching brain and my football fan brain. Please please please can Jeremy Doku not play in our half please. He is a liability! Wonderful going forwards, and needs empowering to just do what he wants to. More shots please, but defensively, he’s not strong!

Personally I’m really hoping that KdB’s sad end in last year’s Champion’s League Final wasn’t the start of a sad end and decline. Hes been the most amazing player it’s been my privilege to watch. The finest I’ve ever seen playing for our team, and I’ve seen some great ones. Who can forget Kevin Horlock for instance? It is undoubtably a fact though that last night’s team looked much more like a Pep team than we have for much of this season. Haaland is amazing, he is when you see him in the flesh a beast of a man. Centre backs bounce off him. At his best he has an unerring knack of finding the ball and putting it in the onion bag. But, I think the desire to help him score goals has unbalanced the team. In seasons past Arsenal’s deep block would have been stymied by a plethora of skilful ball playing midfielders dancing around them. We seem much more static now. In this situation Haaland doesn’t seem so effective. Physicality doesn’t help, especially when the quality of ball coming in isn’t the finest. Also, this is a desperate plea from both my coaching brain and my football fan brain. Please please please can Jeremy Doku not play in our half please. He is a liability! Wonderful going forwards, and needs empowering to just do what he wants to. More shots please, but defensively, he’s not strong!
KDB has more than proved us wrong before, but he is 33 in June, and has a lot of football in his legs at the very highest levels, and playing at a high intensity. I think this is the beginning of a reduction in playing time and the management of his physical abilities. Luckily, it appears that Foden has been expertly managed to allow that transition. Haaland is the league's top scorer and, I think, joint top scorer in the CL, despite missing 2 months of games. He is definitely below peak, but who could possibly expect the same as last season again? As for Doku, I think he has done very well for a young player in a new league, but he has a lot of development ahead of him, as all 21 year olds do.

Don't watch much football at all, but a work colleague was going to the Chelsea game tonight so I watched it - what a game!
Edge of the seat from start to finish....If all football was like that I'd watch a lot more!

Cole is a real talent and it reflects so well on City that he has gone on to be such a Chelsea success. There is no guarantee that he would have achieved that at City. No guarantee of game time either, which is why he wanted to leave. It has worked out well for everyone and I wish him all the luck in the world.

As for United, they are just not a top side, though they are capable of the odd strong performance. I hope they achieve that in their next game.

advertisement

Back