advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Take nothing away from City for a well deserved victory in a very one-sided match but do we really want VAR getting involved in the penalty decision for the first goal?
As soon as VAR brings it to the refs attention he has no choice than to give a pen as it's a clear foul.
Is VAR going to adjudicate over all the pushing & pulling at set pieces?
Classic example imo where VAR should just let the on field ref get on with his job - far too much interference to the detriment of the game as a spectacle and of course no consistency whatsoever.
If that was a pen then there should be 6 each game - pathetic

Quite so.
I think I'm right in saying it was Michael Oliver who was on VAR and effectively ruled on the penalty - the same referee who somehow allowed Kovacic to stay on the pitch the other week against Arsenal.
Of course it wouldn't have changed the outcome yesterday as United were rubbish but even so.

Michael Oliver is the best referee and VAR official...in the world!
It's just a shame that, as a NUFC fan, he can't ref any of Newcastle's games. Mind that doesn't stop Wythenshawe-born Anthony Taylor, the fervent Man Utd, I mean Altrincham fan doing the Manchester derbies.

The Times are reporting that the owners have uncovered secret transfer related payments from 2013. Could these be related to the financial payments between 2012 to 2019 to secret offshore companies?

The issue about VAR is correct. In a recent game, Haaland scored but it was stopped because he was deemed to have pushed someone. Based on yesterday, it should have been a goal. VAR is an absolute mess and we really need to decide what it is used for, and strip it away from everything else. Players make mistakes and referees make mistakes. Once you are reviewing the action multiple times, and from different angles, and are still making mistakes, then corruption or incompetence are the only possible allegations to be levelled.

It's not often I agree with @tqineil , but I do here. Grabbing of opponents in the box is routinely ignored, and it shouldn't be. There is no place for arms completely around players and it should always be a penalty, or never; there is no in-between here. Maguire on Haaland - no penalty. Hojlund on Rodri - penalty. I think there should have been two...obviously!

Then so be it. Maybe it would deter?
I do find it amusing nowadays that players still try to foul on the ref's blind side; have they not yet realised that VAR can see them? Mind you, VAR mess it up anyway.

Oh how times have changed.. and he only got booked. :oops:
Remarkable reaction from Keegan - I imagine if that had happened to Drogba or Ronaldo, they would have been pronounced dead at the scene whereas for KK it’s almost like it happened to him every game and he seems to be defending Giles to the ref. He must have been saving his ire for Billy Bremner with whom I think he had …erm…an altercation later in the game. I am sure Giles later went on the record as admitting deliberately breaking a players leg in I think a European game. Leeds under Revie were orrible.

Last edited:
England were well beaten last night Women's Nations League, leaving them little chance of earning a place in next year's Olympics.
Two glaring errors cost us. Chloe Kelly doing her "dive" hoping for a free kick, ably demonstrated in the Euros against Germany. It's OK doing it when you get the faintest pressure from behind, if you are near the opposition's corner flag, not when you're just in front of your own 18yrd line,
Referees are wise to it, you silly woman.
Millie Bright. What was she doing so far up-field when she lacks the pace to get back if the opposition makes a break?
She had enough warnings.
This is not the team that won the Euros, too slow, too much indecision with few wanting to take responsibility.

Zebra pants, Norwich scarves and futile demonstrations will be out at the next home game.

advertisement

Back