advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he'll keep them up but I would back him to bring them straight back after one season and of course the financial implications of relegation are largely irrelevant now.
It's a slightly odd one because I think everyone (myself included) was expecting them to appoint a big name - time will tell.

Eddie Howe was all but paraded as the new Celtic manager in the summer, yet backed out at the last minute. The speculation was that he would only come with all of his old Bournemouth backroom team, but who knows for sure? The received wisdom was that he could follow the Brendan Rogers path of rebuilding his career while experiencing European football for the first time, yet he bailed out at the last minute. What would it say about the guy if he now takes on the sort of relegation fight that floored him at Bournemouth, and the distinct possibility of another failure on his CV? And then there's the Ryan Fraser situation ..... :oops:

I always found Howe nice but a bit dimbas Bournemouth manager so personality wise should suit the Geordies well :).

According to wiki he is an Everton supporter so maybe he could do a swap with Benny when it all goes tits up for Howe at the Sports Direct Arena.

Howe may be nice (though see below) but he's anything but dim. He comes across as an intelligent student of the game to me.

From a NUFC forum:
"Bournemouth fan here. Thought I'd pop on to see what you're all saying about our lord and saviour Eddie Howe.

IMO he has the potential to be a brilliant appointment for you lot. One thing you get with Eddie is hard, hard work. He was always the first in the club and last to leave each day, to the point where by his final season he had really burnt himself out a bit tbh, which definitely contributed to us getting relegation. He is amazing at developing players up to and beyond their potential, and not always the players you necessarily think of as having potential. He took a team of lower league nobodies, and championship/PL rejects, and turned them into absolute star performers who left everything they had on the pitch. Players like Simon Francis, Marc Pugh, Steve Cook owe much of their careers to Eddie. I've never seen a squad with such an insane team spirit as ours that got promoted from the championship, but tbf that may also be as a consequence of our rapid rise through the leagues as much as anything.

On the training ground as well he is an absolute monster. Forget his nice guy image in the media, on the training pitch he suffered no fools and had a hell of a vocabulary on him. He's very meticulous in his approach to tactics which led to us playing some absolutely stunning beautiful football at times, but in his latter days he did show a bit of an unwillingness to change style and personel which held us a back a bit. He takes his time with new signings so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see any January transfers walk straight into the team. He usually took a good 6 months at least to bed a player into the setup before he trusted them in the starting 11.

One thing I'm really interested in is how he deals with your board. At Bournemouth he was known for being a control freak and pretty much directly oversaw all aspects of the club (think SAF at man u or Wenger at Arsenal), and one of the rumoured reasons why he left when we went down was that our board tried to change some of that and he basically walked. I'm not sure how this will translate to your current circumstance and how much Eddie has chnaged in this regard over his long break from football, as his obsessiveness and full effort definitely contributed to his downfall at the end of his time with us.

Either way, Eddie Howe is THE living legend as far as I'm concerned and you should be counting your blessings that he will grace your touchline with his presence.

And the obligatory **ck Ryan Fraser the wee little sh*te will hopefully get what's coming to him now Eddie's on board."

"Hard work" Howe's the bacon 11th choice Steve?
Anyway...time will tell...

Last edited:
I’m happy with Howe coming to Newcastle. Hopefully, he brings in his own backroom staff as we need a clearout of Bruce’s - I have no problem with Jones staying though. Eddie has good experience under his belt and hopefully, that puts him in good stead to change our performances for the better and get us climbing up the table. I’m sure the Board will be working on appointing a Director of Football to identify and recruit new players in January.

Dreading Man Utd remembering how to play against us (like they should’ve done v Liverpool) by sitting in and hitting us on the break with fast counter attacks.

Got a bad feeling about this one.

Dreading Man Utd remembering how to play against us (like they should’ve done v Liverpool) by sitting in and hitting us on the break with fast counter attacks.

Got a bad feeling about this one.
As a Chelsea fan a game like this is a bit of a 'no lose'.
If you play like you did at the Bridge earlier in the season there'll only be one winner.
Hopefully it'll be a draw.;)

If you play like you did at the Bridge earlier in the season there'll only be one winner.
Can’t see you losing again this season so we really need the win to just stay in touch.

Can’t see you losing again this season so we really need the win to just stay in touch.
Chelsea will have a lean spell for sure - very much still a work in progress unlike City & Liverpool.
I'd be very happy with 3rd and retaining the CL.:)

Hopefully a draw with 3 or 4 sendings off and a couple of controversial goals given after blatant offsides and one chalked off for reasons no one can understand!

As dominant a performance as I have ever seen against United by City: it seemed like we could do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted.

Manchester United 0 - 2 Manchester City

City cruised it with 68% possession. They looked like they had a few more gears if needed, they weren't. Beautiful to watch how they played and controlled the game.

Pressure is on OGS now. Conte option gone, so maybe he's safe for this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back