advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

When Villarreal somehow missed that chance to go 2 up, kill the game & then you levelling, that should’ve been the point where you go on and win it. There was plenty of time left but it sounds like you ran out of ideas and that’s a coaching problem, not ‘need more players’ problem. Utd have more than enough talent to see off most teams and this was match I thought you’d win comfortably because of that. Has Ole taken you as far as he can go?

I think it is a mixture of issues.

The wide players not staying wide is an issue, both Rashford and Greenwood naturally want to come inside, great when you have space, on the counter but when up against a packed defence, you just run into bodies. Its happened a lot this season when Fernandes & Pogba have been marked out of the game, they both needed to do better to make some space, both just walking around expecting something to happen.
A Right Winger would be great, we have not had once really since Valencia was shifted to a Right Back/ Diallo is promising but I think a bit too soon to thrust into that position as a full-time role.
Having to use the double pivot to provide a shield from the defence limits our creativity, a proper defensive midfielder would allow Pogba or VDB to move further up and get involved more, rather than trying to cover defensive frailties. Neither Pogba or VDB work in a midfield two, when Matic came it worked with Pogba but his legs have gone, needs a move to probably Italy. Garner on loan at Forest had a great season, in a more early Carrick kind of role looks ideal but really needs a year at a premier league club I think.

Last night, there were no real options off the bench to really shake it up, Mata could come on as a 10, move Fernandes back (played better than Pogba) but you are still reliant on McTominay or Fred who came on to provide the sole defensive cover on the counter. James is not effective against a low block and other than some kids, no other attacking options.

The issue has been throwing money at the problem, rather than the right money on the right player. Signing Fred & Sanchez so that City did not, Di-Maria & Falcao were obviously not right for the club, Matic was a short term sticking plaster for Jose, rinsed for Maguire as we left it late and no real options, we were desperate. Then there is giving new contracts to Jones and Bailly, both spent more time injured than available, its just a scatter gun approach to recruitment, that hopefully (really) may have just changed with the new recruitment structure, and Woodward leaving/loosing some control.

Onto Ole, I think he is the right man for the job at the moment, the tactical issues above can be ironed out, and we have made progress this year.
One thing I can't explain is the late subs, well into added time we were flagging, Villarreal had made all 5 subs and looking a lot sharper, quicker to the ball. Rashford clearly had taken a knock and not being effective should have come off, the subs for penalties worked well although if it was me, I'd have swapped Henderson for DeGea, he has a shocking record against penalties and I think it would have shaken it up a little.

Yes, that was bad but my worst moment in football was the semi final in 2009 when we lost to Barcelona. My anger at the refereeing of that match was such that I vowed to change the way I watch football and the emotional investment I put into it.

So I won’t be inconsolable if we lose on Saturday.

But I do promise to be insufferable if when we win

Fixed that for you. ;)

Interesting to hear Spurs are talking to Poch about returning.
I reckon if he does Kane will stay.

Interesting to hear Spurs are talking to Poch about returning.
I reckon if he does Kane will stay.
Can Kane afford to gamble on Spurs becoming a regular champions league team? He’s hung on in hope for some years and developed his craft to what is likely its peak, he needs certain CL football starting this year, if he waits he’ll be 30 before he knows it and on the wrong side of the curve

He needs to go to a team where he can grow into a leader and main man at a higher level, but not too high as he’ll be one amongst many. Which means he should come to Chelsea rather than joining the northern divers.

Lol!
1. Levi won’t sell him to Chelsea.
2. Kane has made it clear which team he wants to join, quite understandably, the best team and champions by a country mile.

Lol!
1. Levi won’t sell him to Chelsea.
2. Kane has made it clear which team he wants to join, quite understandably, the best team and champions by a country mile.

You’re right, his nose is too big for Roman’s Stamford Bridge anyway.

You can have Kane.

We’ll have Haaland instead...

Haaland loves City. So yeah, he'll end up going to Chelsea because that's how football really works! :D
On a serious note, you can’t have Haaland and Kane. Both would demand to be the No. 1 choice.

So, as Bob has already baggsied Kane, we’ll baggie Haaland!

I think it's more likely that we'll end up with Lukaku who has unfinished business at Chelsea.
I'd certainly prefer him to Kane - obviously.;)

On a serious note, you can’t have Haaland and Kane. Both would demand to be the No. 1 choice.

So, as Bob has already baggsied Kane, we’ll baggie Haaland!
Personally I don’t want Kane at City.
He is too old, injury prone and it would take a while to get the cheating out of him that has been well coached by previous Spurs managers.

I think it is a mixture of issues.

The wide players not staying wide is an issue, both Rashford and Greenwood naturally want to come inside, great when you have space, on the counter but when up against a packed defence, you just run into bodies. Its happened a lot this season when Fernandes & Pogba have been marked out of the game, they both needed to do better to make some space, both just walking around expecting something to happen.
A Right Winger would be great, we have not had once really since Valencia was shifted to a Right Back/ Diallo is promising but I think a bit too soon to thrust into that position as a full-time role.
Having to use the double pivot to provide a shield from the defence limits our creativity, a proper defensive midfielder would allow Pogba or VDB to move further up and get involved more, rather than trying to cover defensive frailties. Neither Pogba or VDB work in a midfield two, when Matic came it worked with Pogba but his legs have gone, needs a move to probably Italy. Garner on loan at Forest had a great season, in a more early Carrick kind of role looks ideal but really needs a year at a premier league club I think.

Last night, there were no real options off the bench to really shake it up, Mata could come on as a 10, move Fernandes back (played better than Pogba) but you are still reliant on McTominay or Fred who came on to provide the sole defensive cover on the counter. James is not effective against a low block and other than some kids, no other attacking options.

The issue has been throwing money at the problem, rather than the right money on the right player. Signing Fred & Sanchez so that City did not, Di-Maria & Falcao were obviously not right for the club, Matic was a short term sticking plaster for Jose, rinsed for Maguire as we left it late and no real options, we were desperate. Then there is giving new contracts to Jones and Bailly, both spent more time injured than available, its just a scatter gun approach to recruitment, that hopefully (really) may have just changed with the new recruitment structure, and Woodward leaving/loosing some control.

Onto Ole, I think he is the right man for the job at the moment, the tactical issues above can be ironed out, and we have made progress this year.
One thing I can't explain is the late subs, well into added time we were flagging, Villarreal had made all 5 subs and looking a lot sharper, quicker to the ball. Rashford clearly had taken a knock and not being effective should have come off, the subs for penalties worked well although if it was me, I'd have swapped Henderson for DeGea, he has a shocking record against penalties and I think it would have shaken it up a little.

The back 4 are also an issue, as is the 'team's' consistency (and balance). It's also, relatively speaking, a 'thin' 'team'. On their day, United can beat any team, but they can't currently maintain 'high gear,' despite going unbeaten away this season, and losing the same number of Premiership games as the neighbouring nation state/monarchy. No good beating City when we can't beat Sheff Weds (despite the horrific refereeing). Consistency has been a problem for a number of years (as has the back 4 and the overall depth and balance of the squad) so there's an argument to be made the Ole has done a good job of managing a team of "misfits" but you can't help feeling that he needs to up his and the club's standards, and get a little more ruthless (e.g. switching goalies in the final) to get the team performing more consistently. Personnel changes on the pitch (and in management) will help of course.

As for the final, congrats to Emery. He evoked his inner Jose and got away with one, but it wasn't Ole's finest moment (nor the ref's). Not sure why the creche weren't given another run out. They played well against a decent Wolves side and would have tested V's low block. No idea what Ole was thinking re: substitutions either; maybe there was a plan but it wasn't obvious. And 3-4 players woefully underperformed - part of the consistency problem but also a reflection of Ole's blind spots (i.e. Rashford, Pogba in a defensive role). Felt for De Gea though. For a man short on confidence that must have been hard to take. The team did well scoring 10 penalties though, and I was hoping after the equaliser that the handsome man would finish the job and sink the yellow submarine but it wasn't to be.

advertisement

Back