advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

My old 3x9 26" MTB is like that. The only stuff that gets done to it is putting a rack or child seat on. My bike OCD is limited to measuring chains and changing them between 0.5% and 0 75% wear.

Ah actually said...",saved sooo much cleaning time in the winter"...and ah did...and ye do. :D

45 miles around San Diego bay this morning (well actually 43 since two miles were on the ferry to make the round trip. Nice weather an no headwind heading north on the Coronado side of the bay for a change!

45 miles around San Diego bay this morning (well actually 43 since two miles were on the ferry to make the round trip. Nice weather an no headwind heading north on the Coronado side of the bay for a change!
Sounds nice. Will look that up on google map.

32.7 miles in 5hrs 14mins yesterday. 5652ft of climbing. According to the satnav we were only actually moving for 3.5 hours, that must be due to the 1.5 hours spent in 5 ft deep bracken :mad:.
I don't recommend the BW down Coverdale!!

No, but I do have an Alfine that I want to put in a frame soon for commuting duties. I think the principal objection to hub gears, other than the cost, is restricted gear range. Gravel bikes generally have a huge range.

Do any cyclists on PFM have experience of the Rohloff Speedhub? I am really attracted to the idea of a gravel bike running a Rohloff and belt drive but there seems to be very little choice in the market. I am not sure why, could it be cost or the complete dominance of derailler-based systems? The Rohloff seems like an ideal solution for me.
See above.

I often find myself browsing the Shand website looking at their Rohloff models, especially after cleaning my drivetrain (which incidentally I’ve just been doing now). A Rohloff Stooshie, for example, looks like a very versatile bike and there’s something very elegant about the way it looks without derailleurs etc. See: https://www.shandcycles.com/shop/bikes/stooshie-rohloff/

Also, I’ve been looking at replacing the Sram cassette on my bike, and the best price I’ve seen is £260(!) for the same one, which makes me think that a hub gear might not be comparatively expensive in the long term…

Decent wide range Rohloff hubs ain't cheap. £1000+ for a 526% 14 speed. That's a lot of cassette swaps. Worth it on a bike for life, but not if you only keep em a few years.

I do keep them for a very long time and reckon a Roloff equipped bike would last me at least 15 years and that is partly why I am so intrigued. The 14-speed has a broad range of gears and should be more than sufficient for a commuter hack like me. The Stooshie does look good but its so expensive. Thorn makes cheaper Rohloff bikes but they are likely heavier and designed for touring.

Different beast, in my case, I'm running a Tern HSD S8i as my utility/shopping bike. I spent the extra on the belt drive and geared hub because of the low maintenance cleanliness. I intend keeping this bike for as long as I'm able to cycle. Done 700 miles in the first year would have been nearer 1000 but for my accident earlier this year.

I have had a rear view mirror on my bikes for many years now.
Very useful to see what is going on behind and rarely I can take evasive action

Novel one this week, got run off the road by a bunch of lampers and beaten up whilst cycling back from the pub on Thursday night. It was pretty scary. Stomped my bike, but only appear to have bent my discs and put a small wind in the front wheel. My new glasses are toast, though.

Novel one this week, got run off the road by a bunch of lampers and beaten up whilst cycling back from the pub on Thursday night. It was pretty scary. Stomped my bike, but only appear to have bent my discs and put a small wind in the front wheel. My new glasses are toast, though.
Hope you're ok. Scary indeed.

Driving back from Marlow via M4 this eve......Warning signs all saying ' 'Cyclist reported on motorway' WTAF!

Kinky link detected! Big gears had been skipping when under load. Checked chain with wear tool, still good. Stated to check for stiff links only to see that a link was bending out. Seems like the last time it in the LBS they took off the chain and joined it with a quick link. It was the quick link that had buckled!

4 hour slow ride on Saturday around the 120 max bpm range with no carbs onboard, can one say depleted...

Just heading out for the usual 40 mile chain masher, Hathersage winnats, chapel and back through stoney back of chatsworth.

4 hour slow ride on Saturday around the 120 max bpm range with no carbs onboard, can one say depleted...

Just heading out for the usual 40 mile chain masher, Hathersage winnats, chapel and back through stoney back of chatsworth.
Really dislike Winnats & Mam Nick is barely any better.

Had a very near miss this afternoon. Left hand turn onto Damflask from Loxley Road; oncoming car on my side didn’t slow or give any room, just managed to squeeze through. Bradfield really needs to have a look at parking restrictions here, so dangerous.

advertisement

Back