advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

I have'n't lost much power, cannae sprint like ah used tae though. My gearing is still the same. My single speed (unfixed) has been my everyday bike for nearly 20 years. bought it as a commuter ,saved sooo much cleaning time in the winter (ON-ONE single-speed ... 48-18). Ma mtb is Race Face vintage 26-36-46, and 13-30) , (on its third set of gears) Ma Sunday bike is old skool as well - 39-53 and 12-27 cassette...Ah live in Dundee, known as the "City of Braes" and ah pedalled a message bike , up and doon them for nearly 4 years, as a schoolboy. Maaan, that gave ye calf muscles. Oh, ah celebrated ma 71st. birthday last month...:eek:.
Good work, but as a single speed owner I don't get the "saves cleaning and maintenance in winter" because my old commuter with 3 x 8 has had nothing beyond the occasional hosing and weekly chain oiling since for ever. All still working, though I am religious about an annual cable greasing. That done, it just works. The singly is just fun, I've been on it twice this week.

Good work, but as a single speed owner I don't get the "saves cleaning and maintenance in winter" because my old commuter with 3 x 8 has had nothing beyond the occasional hosing and weekly chain oiling since for ever. All still working, though I am religious about an annual cable greasing. That done, it just works. The singly is just fun, I've been on it twice this week.
My old 3x9 26" MTB is like that. The only stuff that gets done to it is putting a rack or child seat on. My bike OCD is limited to measuring chains and changing them between 0.5% and 0 75% wear.

My old 3x9 26" MTB is like that. The only stuff that gets done to it is putting a rack or child seat on. My bike OCD is limited to measuring chains and changing them between 0.5% and 0 75% wear.
Same goes here. About 25k miles on the thing and I've now worn out the third rear wheel rim. I'm scratching around for a decent 26" wheel with 8 speed, though I'd settle for 7.

Had a spoke to pop last night, a 40 mile ride turned into a 6 mile one. I am having terrible luck with wheels this season, not sure anyone makes decent ones?

Had a spoke to pop last night, a 40 mile ride turned into a 6 mile one. I am having terrible luck with wheels this season, not sure anyone makes decent ones?
Been trying to buy a new Canyon CF SLX 9 disc but they are just unavailable, so have been buying new old stock Mavic Exalith wheels to replace the worn out ones on my bike. Great rim braking.
Hunt wheel stories, mainly good.

Been trying to buy a new Canyon CF SLX 9 disc but they are just unavailable, so have been buying new old stock Mavic Exalith wheels to replace the worn out ones on my bike. Great rim braking.
Hunt wheel stories, mainly good.
I nearly bought some mavics but have had problems with them in the past. The cheaper ones are crap.

I nearly bought some mavics but have had problems with them in the past. The cheaper ones are crap.
Agree. Since going into administration their output has been poor and mainly disc brake based. Such a pity as the Mavic Exalith wheels that cost, circa £1,000 plus were really good.

Agree. Since going into administration their output has been poor and mainly disc brake based. Such a pity as the Mavic Exalith wheels that cost, circa £1,000 plus were really good.
I just don’t know who makes decent wheels anymore. Zipp? Hed? I think I will try some Hunts on my winter bike, hopefully can get something decent for £300-400?

I just don’t know who makes decent wheels anymore. Zipp? Hed? I think I will try some Hunts on my winter bike, hopefully can get something decent for £300-400?
I've got 3 sets of Hunt wheels.
The alloy 4 season gravel disc wheels are very strong and not too heavy (if you are looking for a disc brake set) and about your price range I think.
The carbon gravel 30 disc wheels are strong and light but dearer. I just got new bearings front and back after about 10k miles in all weathers.
The carbon road 35 rim brake wheels are strong enough and light. I'm still on the original bearings after well over 10k miles, probably 12k. They only go out in summer and I don't think I'm hard on wheels anyway.
My main reservation about both the carbon sets is that they are a bastard to get tyres on! I know I have puny cyclist arms but I'm not that weak. The alloy gravel set are OK.

Had a really close pass tonight, pretty terrifying. I was finding with a group, we were single file down A57, I looked over shoulder to check it was clear & then went round the group to get to the front; 3 seconds later a twat in a Volvo overtook at high speed with traffic coming the other way.

Guess what, driver had two mountain bikes strapped to the back thus widening the vehicle further, he missed my arm by inches. WTF was he in such a rush for? Just the kind of tosser who infects social media with “I’m a cyclist too” & “I don’t cycle on the road, too dangerous “.

Thinking of getting a https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12ce/ Don't really want to and don't want to be a 'report to the police warrior" but realistically there's no other way of dealing with the poor driving we experience on the roads. Friends tell me that they perhaps report 1 or 2 drivers a week and that there is quite a high Notice of Prosecution rate.
I had a similar close pass in Richmond Park from a car with bikes on the roof. Eventually overtook them let them know how I felt. They were completely clueless.

Thinking of getting a https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12ce/ Don't really want to and don't want to be a 'report to the police warrior" but realistically there's no other way of dealing with the poor driving we experience on the roads. Friends tell me that they perhaps report 1 or 2 drivers a week and that there is quite a high Notice of Prosecution rate.
I had a similar close pass in Richmond Park from a car with bikes on the roof. Eventually overtook them let them know how I felt. They were completely clueless.
Ha, they often are ( clueless ). Thats one of the good reasons for doing the sheen gate to Ham gate route in the park, few vehicles !. Passes the refreshment hut as well !

Do any cyclists on PFM have experience of the Rohloff Speedhub? I am really attracted to the idea of a gravel bike running a Rohloff and belt drive but there seems to be very little choice in the market. I am not sure why, could it be cost or the complete dominance of derailler-based systems? The Rohloff seems like an ideal solution for me.

advertisement

Back