advertisement

All purpose Championship football thread

So we know Leicester face a points deduction. I believe Ipswich will be close too when their accounts are released next year - they lost in excess of £12m getting promotion from L1 last season! Are Leeds and Southampton clean?
I have no knowledge re. the financial side of things but reading various snippets I don’t think we’ll be anywhere near. Most of our squad is the same as last season.

Would much prefer to see Farke managing in the PL.

The problem for Leeds, and the other promotion hopefuls, possibly with the exception of Leicester is that the ability to compete and remain in the Premier is becoming more difficult. I think the Revie era, or even the Wilkinson period will never be repeated, as the gap is too big to breach, no matter the manager. I fully expected a Leeds implosion, (predicted it to a friend a couple of months ago) and they only have themselves to blame. The last 5-6 matches have seen so many dropped points, when even one win would have been enough to stay in the race. Got to hand it to Ipswich and their manager, that is some feat to get promoted in successive seasons.

It will be a tough slog next season, if they as I expect fail in the playoffs. Meslier is butter fingered and cannot command his area. The two centre halves (1 who is a midfielder) are irreplaceable. Despite an abundance of riches in the forward line the midfield is also very thin. I hope they go up but it will be a PITA next season if they make the premiership.

Last edited:
The problem for Leeds, and the other promotion hopefuls, possibly with the exception of Leicester is that the ability to compete and remain in the Premier is becoming more difficult. I think the Revie era, or even the Wilkinson period will never be repeated, as the gap is too big to breach, no matter the manager. I fully expected a Leeds implosion, (predicted it to a friend a couple of months ago) and they only have themselves to blame. The last 5-6 matches have seen so many dropped points, when even one win would have been enough to stay in the race. Got to hand it to Ipswich and their manager, that is some feat to get promoted in successive seasons.

It will be a tough slog next season, if they as I expect fail in the playoffs. Meslier is butter fingered and cannot command his area. The two centre halves (1 who is a midfielder) are irreplaceable. Despite an abundance of riches in the forward line the midfield is also very thin. I hope they go up but it will be a PITA next season if they make the premiership.
Can't disagree. I think a proper centre forward, a creative midfielder and a keeper are required. Rutter is creative but he seems to be getting bogged down recently.

Sheffield Utd were certainly a step up from Luton last season and everyone else. Burnley too. It's a very big jump. It's hard to see with FFP how anyone can compete. That's why clubs are deciding to risk the points deductions, I think but they're risking the mortgage at the same time. Then the parachute payments make a mockery of a level playing field in the Championship, even monies in years two and three after relegation. Our entire wage bill for the whole club was £23.602m in 2022 (just published accounts,) around half of the parachute payment in year one. We desperately need proper regulation.

12.30 kick off for my team (Birminham City)on saturday. Every chance we'll be relegated, after spending the best part of 30 yrs in the championship.

For the first time, in too many years, (1960) I dont care. Football has lost its magic for me, and you cant live in the past.:(

I believe Ipswich have some money behind them, they’re probably better equipped than Leeds? Leicester will fall foul of some financial rule or other.

The game has been ruined by TV & Money which has begat VAR.

Huddersfield were a very dominant team in the 20s, huge crowds & plenty of success. We lost one manager to Arsenal & another to Liverpool who went on to do very well.

Over the years we’ve lost countless players to ‘bigger clubs’, it’s very hard to be a fan at times.

Ipswich recently received a £105M investment from a US Private Equity Company. McKenna will continue to be linked with jobs, he's been very successful in a short space of time. I would imagine he'd want to give it a go in the Premier League with Ipswich, if they make it, which seems likely now.

Cheers BB

12.30 kick off for my team (Birminham City)on saturday. Every chance we'll be relegated, after spending the best part of 30 yrs in the championship.

For the first time, in too many years, (1960) I dont care. Football has lost its magic for me, and you cant live in the past.:(
You and I will be enjoying the pleasure of it all going down to the last day, as I'm an Argyle supporter. I'm not going to wish you luck for obvious reasons, but will say that a club like Birmingham should be in the Championship - sadly and with regret I hope you aren't come Saturday at 3.

You and I will be enjoying the pleasure of it all going down to the last day, as I'm an Argyle supporter. I'm not going to wish you luck for obvious reasons, but will say that a club like Birmingham should be in the Championship - sadly and with regret I hope you aren't come Saturday at 3.
If there is a truth in football, we dont deserve to stay up.
Best of luck tomorrow, just not too much:)

If there is a truth in football, we dont deserve to stay up.
Best of luck tomorrow, just not too much:)
From an onlooker of a certain age I still have a romantic view of other clubs that I regard as 'big'. The obvious ones are obvious, but Villa (even before they started their latest push), Boro (Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson), Forest (a young Keane, Pearce, Francis, Johnny Metgod and his hammer boot!) etc etc. Brum are in that group in my rose tinted view.

As an objectivist you are probably right.

From an onlooker of a certain age I still have a romantic view of other clubs that I regard as 'big'. The obvious ones are obvious, but Villa (even before they started their latest push), Boro (Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson), Forest (a young Keane, Pearce, Francis, Johnny Metgod and his hammer boot!) etc etc. Brum are in that group in my rose tinted view.

As an objectivist you are probably right.
Good choices, but for childish , immature reasons, your first choice sticks in the throat a little.:rolleyes:

Can't disagree. I think a proper centre forward, a creative midfielder and a keeper are required. Rutter is creative but he seems to be getting bogged down recently.
Think positive Richard. FFS I do not want Saints to go up - they are nowhere near ready. But I suppose we have to “go through the motions”. Starting tomorrow with a quiet draw -“don’t get injured, don’t get booked, and we’ll meet again at Wembley“. :D :D :D :D

It’s all about the money - it used to be said that the Champ Playoff final was the richest single game in in the world, worth £150Mil.

Football for the fans in this country died when the governing body, the Football Association, lost control and allowed the sheer greed of half a dozen clubs to dictate terms, and form the Premier League.

richest single game in in the world, worth £150Mil.
Only if you can stay up, otherwise it's about £40m or so (net) in the first season and it's all gone up in smoke. The tv money will be around £100m for the bottom clubs, wage bill around £40m and whatever is spent on transfer fees and running the club. Then comes the fire sale with all the assests flogged off below market value.

iu

advertisement

Back