advertisement

All purpose Championship football thread

They'll need to sell before they can buy so prices will be held down. I think Leeds will find it harder next season, I can't see where that consistency is going to come from. They think they're getting Calum O'Hare on a free but he's not going to another Championship team, I also think that he's not the force he was before doing his ACL...
So 2 premier league clubs come in for Summerville and you think that these 2 PL clubs will lowball? They won't, because they will both be aware of the demand. The lowball offers will be for the players that nobody wants, eg Aaransen. If Summerville goes, it will be for at least 30 million. Gnonto is an unknown, Farke and some people rate him, I saw nothing special in him this season. So for me, his value might have dropped because his talent has not flowered in any way.

£20m for Gyokeres (now one of the leading strikers in Europe) £15m for Hamer. Simms £7m after add-ons. Wright £9m usa full international. Summerville £30m? Really?

Yes, I would say my prices are all asking prices.

I want Gnonto and Summerville to go, Gnonto is not good enough even in the Chanpionship, Summerville scores only by cutting in from the left outside the box and scoring with his right foot. And he doesn't want to pass the ball. Southampton and loads of other teams in the last half of the season shut him down and he has no other tricks. He needs to learn one fast or he is not getting any goals next season..
Is this ‘one trick pony’ Somerville the same one who’s worth £30M?

Cheers BB

Phillips at that point was an established England player, though, and City always have to pay a premium because they are who they are.

And neither is Leeds a PL club.
They never recovered from the Ridsdale fiasco, overspend, crash and burn or whatever title is appropriate. The fall from the Revie period also contributed to their ongoing demise with the exception of Wilco's weird League victory (How he managed it with that squad is beyond me). From vague memory that cuddly ex-Chelsea owner was meant to be buying Leeds but saw sense and picked Chelsea instead. Maybe if we had of got one of those wealthy oligarch types to buy in things might have been different.

It's an oligarch and wealth fund league now, I can't see Leeds ever breaking into it. Especially given their propensity to buy Brolin's and Aaronson's.
How long can Aston Villa survive in the rarified atmosphere of Top4?

Will concentrate on Leinster Rugby as I have done for the last 20years. Better fortunes in that space.

They never recovered from the Ridsdale fiasco, overspend, crash and burn or whatever title is appropriate. The fall from the Revie period also contributed to their ongoing demise with the exception of Wilco's weird League victory (How he managed it with that squad is beyond me). From vague memory that cuddly ex-Chelsea owner was meant to be buying Leeds but saw sense and picked Chelsea instead. Maybe if we had of got one of those wealthy oligarch types to buy in things might have been different.

It's an oligarch and wealth fund league now, I can't see Leeds ever breaking into it. Especially given their propensity to buy Brolin's and Aaronson's.
How long can Aston Villa survive in the rarified atmosphere of Top4?

Will concentrate on Leinster Rugby as I have done for the last 20years. Better fortunes in that space.
Leeds were a top 5 club for nearly every season under Wilko, Graham and O Leary. I think top 5 clubs are always in with a shout at winning the league. It's Leicester that raised the eyebrows when they won the league, not Leeds.

I'm talking about how much PL teams pay for a player, to then find out he was not much use at the club
I know, but they simply don't pay big money generally for championship players. For the same reason that Southgate won't pick championship players, yet nearly every other country in the world would be happy to. I do appreciate that Summerville is young and has scored a handful of PL goals so he has a lot of plusses and he will surely develop.

Leeds were a top 5 club for nearly every season under Wilko, Graham and O Leary. I think top 5 clubs are always in with a shout at winning the league. It's Leicester that raised the eyebrows when they won the league, not Leeds.
Wilko is 30yrs ago and I think its reasonable to point out how weird that league win was. They collapsed the next season. It consisted of a lot of journey men and a great midfield. I support Leeds but I see the reality. They have spent the best part of the last 30 years in the wilderness. Even now we have golfers as part owners. In this new world you need someone with 5-15B to try and compete. I don't see Leeds getting that and tbh that whole situation with the new type of owners puts me off football completely.

The Leeds thing for me is just from my childhood hence I can't let it go completely.

Wilko is 30yrs ago and I think its reasonable to point out how weird that league win was.
Strachan and McAllister legends. Gary Speed too - not sure about Nora! You'll know better than me but Leeds had finished high up the season before I think but it was all very soon after promotion and again, unsustainable.

Wilko is 30yrs ago and I think its reasonable to point out how weird that league win was. They collapsed the next season. It consisted of a lot of journey men and a great midfield. I support Leeds but I see the reality. They have spent the best part of the last 30 years in the wilderness. Even now we have golfers as part owners. In this new world you need someone with 5-15B to try and compete. I don't see Leeds getting that and tbh that whole situation with the new type of owners puts me off football completely.

The Leeds thing for me is just from my childhood hence I can't let it go completely.
My favourite ever Boro game was against Leeds, first home game of the season, Leeds were Champions, we played them off the park and won 3-1, the Leeds goal was late in the game from one Eric Cantona.

Cheers BB

Bayern Munich are targeting Aaron Banks from Boro’s coaching team, I didn’t know he was at Anderlecht with Kompany before he left them to join Villa.

Cheers BB

My favourite ever Boro game was against Leeds, first home game of the season, Leeds were Champions, we played them off the park and won 3-1, the Leeds goal was late in the game from one Eric Cantona.

Cheers BB
I have two favourites:

Boro 7 Chelski 2 from the late 70s, Micky Burns got 5, I was a ball boy

Boro 8 Man C 1 from 2008, Svens last game in charge for them

Last edited:
I have two favourites:

Boro 7 Chelski 2 from the late 70s, Micky Burns got 5, I was a ball boy

Boto 8 Man C 1 from 2008, Svens last game in charge for them
Late 70's was too early for me. The City game lives long in the memory, especially Rochembacks freekick, one of the best ever in the Premier League. We also beat City 4-1 in the first season at The Riverside, Georgi Kinkladze was head and shoulders better than anyone on the pitch.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back