advertisement

Alien film series.

stairpost

Average at best.
Just out of interest, is anyone a fan of the Alien films? I'm in the process of working through them again for the first time in a while. I'd forgotten how good they are, not Aliens though obviously, that's a terrible piece of gung ho dross.

Alien pioneers the quadrilogy so deserves the most credit, but I absolutely loved Alien3 the director's cut...which I think is the best movie in the series. This version is almost a different movie, the monster comes from the buffalo and is revered as a God. The cast are superb including Charles S Dutton and Charles Dance. The script is tight, thrilling and very memorable, the direction is nerve wrenching and imerssive, the sets brilliant with the lead works and the prison keep. The Ripley suicide scene and the death request scene are genius as is the corporation's attempt to rescue the monster with Bishop.

More happens in the opening credits than in some complete movies. It's an absolute tour de force in film making. I could go on for hours about Alien3. Yet most believe it to be the worst, which I think is 4. Even the humour in Alien3 is great.... Ripley sits next to Charles S Sutton who says 'I'm a Rapist and Killer of women' and she replies......

See how memorable that script is.

Alien pioneers the quadrilogy so deserves the most credit, but I absolutely loved Alien3 the director's cut...which I think is the best movie in the series. This version is almost a different movie, the monster comes from the buffalo and is revered as a God. The cast are superb including Charles S Dutton and Charles Dance. The script is tight, thrilling and very memorable, the direction is nerve wrenching and imerssive, the sets brilliant with the lead works and the prison keep. The Ripley suicide scene and the death request scene are genius as is the corporation's attempt to rescue the monster with Bishop.

More happens in the opening credits than in some complete movies. It's an absolute tour de force in film making. I could go on for hours about Alien3. Yet most believe it to be the worst, which I think is 4. Even the humour in Alien3 is great.... Ripley sits next to Charles S Sutton who says I'm a Rapist and Killer of women and she replies......

See how memorable that script is.

nostromo, fabulous!

I watched Alien3 (special edition) last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just dont see how it deserved such bad reviews, the "Britishness" of the characters added a great dimension.

Alien resurrection still to come, I remember very little about it. (I'm not watching them in order for some reason).

Alien 3 is shit.

I actually liked aliens, but i was young an impressionable. Alien is seriously great though and curiously I watched it the other day.

Lets not talk about Prometheus.

Alien 3 is shit.

I actually liked aliens, but i was young an impressionable. Alien is seriously great though and curiously I watched it the other day.

Lets not talk about Prometheus.

That's the sign of a well developed film series, it has elements that appeal to different tastes.

What I love about Alien and indeed The Thing is these things are like 40 years old. Yet they hold up really well. They will hold up really well against modern day parlance of digital digital digital, as 2012 is ground into 0 and 1 dust, alien will still be out there, a great story, great effects, great tension.

Yep love Alien, and don’t dislike Aliens either - it was the first one I saw growing up and it holds a place in my heart still. Bought a couple of props from the movie recently too.

Why the hatred?

I dont know if you are being genuine. But lets not talk about Prometheus.

Did anyone ever do the Alien war interactive tour thingy at the Trocadero in London?

I lost count of how many times I did it, I jumped every damn time too.

The tension is the key IMHO. Effects these days are digitalized and whilst all the Alien films have good (for the time) effects, I don't think that is what makes them so good.
Sh%^&*ing yourself whilst watching them is what makes them good.
Ridley Scott got that down to a fine art - most of my favorite films are his doing - Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Thelma and Louise, Gladiator. He somehow makes you feel right there, rather than watching a story on a screen. That's a great skill.

nostromo, fabulous!

I watched Alien3 (special edition) last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just dont see how it deserved such bad reviews, the "Britishness" of the characters added a great dimension.

Alien resurrection still to come, I remember very little about it. (I'm not watching them in order for some reason).

Most of Alien4 is good, the clones laid out in lab I find repellent and the instant nearness of Earth ridiculous. Also the monster especially in the final scenes is vile.... I suggest you stop watching with 15minutes remaining... Those minutes are too bad to be seen by any real fan of the Alien universe ... Really awful.

The tension is the key IMHO. Effects these days are digitalized and whilst all the Alien films have good (for the time) effects, I don't think that is what makes them so good.
Sh%^&*ing yourself whilst watching them is what makes them good.
Ridley Scott got that down to a fine art - most of my favorite films are his doing - Alien, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Thelma and Louise, Gladiator. He somehow makes you feel right there, rather than watching a story on a screen. That's a great skill.
Ridley and Tony Scott made many of my fave movies, very talented guys.

The special edition of alien 4 makes more sense, it’s a great movie!

Cameron’s Aliens is absolutely the best of the series.

advertisement

Back