advertisement

Alexei Navalny dies in prison

I'm also wary of attributing specific national character to an administrative division on a map
Especially when so many of those divisions were drawn up in the c20th by people hundreds of miles away who often had never even stepped foot in the region they were carving up...

Hey Putin

You're a very little man.

You deserve to end your days feet up in Piazzale Loreto like another little, insignificant man like you.

The BBC are reporting that Navalny's team asked to see the body and were told it was in a morgue. The morgue is not open but when contacted by phone they said they do not have it.

Sorry to say this, but the guy was naive or stupid. They poisoned him, he was taken to Germany where he recovered, yet despite believing that Putin had tried to kill him, he returned to Russia. Sorry that's just stupid behaviour in the extreme in my view. Staying alive trumps all other considerations, even your nation being liberated from a dicator.
If only he'd had your insight, sitting there, posting away about how "stupid" he was. Good job you won't make the same mistake so that you can lead millions of Russians to a brighter future.

Sorry to say this, but the guy was naive or stupid. They poisoned him, he was taken to Germany where he recovered, yet despite believing that Putin had tried to kill him, he returned to Russia. Sorry that's just stupid behaviour in the extreme in my view. Staying alive trumps all other considerations, even your nation being liberated from a dicator.
give u another wow again....

Completely agree - I'm also wary of attributing specific national character to an administrative division on a map (it's a bit "chicken and egg"), but, given the long and tragic history of what we now call Russia, what with the original Rurik (a Viking pirate), the Mongols, the Poles and Lithuanians, I start to wonder whether this has left some sort of permanent imprint. Almost a bit like the nature v. nurture argument in bringing up children!
It took "the West" many centuries to develop the democracy and freedoms which we enjoy, and largely take for granted and "normal," today. Magna Charta, Renaissance, parliamentary systems, Enlightenment, French Revolution (what am I forgetting?). Meanwhile, other parts of the world were developing along different lines, like Russia and China and lots of other places. Most of the world, in fact, lives under some form of dictatorship.

“Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s mother and his lawyer were told on Saturday that he had been struck down by “sudden death syndrome”.

Im sure it was- sudden Putin death syndrome.

Britain will take action over the death in prison of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny and it is calling on other countries to do likewise, British foreign minister David Cameron said on Saturday.

The govt announced it would not be giving peerages, favours or under the counter planning permission to Russian donors and spies for the next 6 months.

“Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s mother and his lawyer were told on Saturday that he had been struck down by “sudden death syndrome”.

Im sure it was- sudden Putin death syndrome.

They often used to use the cold in gulag days; bung the prisoner in an unheated cell without a blanket for the night. Sometimes throw a bucket of icy water over them. -20C up there overnight and you need to be well covered to survive.

I believe Navalny knew what he was doing at every juncture, including his pre-death statement from prison. The widespread sympathy has raised yet another thorn in Putin's side. Yes, all this global and home-based condemnation may, like most other things, pass into history but I believe it is, nevertheless, another peg in the potential decline of this inimical dictator and his junta.

The govt announced it would not be giving peerages, favours or under the counter planning permission to Russian donors and spies for the next 6 months.
In other news, Canadian Prime Minister, Justine Trudeau, finally acknowledges that Vladimir Putin is, in the Prime Minister's words "a monster". Claims he will be donning plain black socks for a week, before reverting back to orange, or summat.

On the other hand President Lula of Brazil says Putin is not responsible for Navalny's "natural death."

Yes, I’m sure the method used to murder Navalny might never be established by autopsy. In the other cases like Litvinenko, the intention was to clearly show the hand that wields the knife.

I thought the poison that the Israelis used on Khaled Mashaal in Jordan was intriguing . They put it in his ear apparently but the Jordanian doctors managed to reverse it with naloxone. I think it was an extremely potent fentanyl analogue which would probably be too dangerous for routine medical use. Prince got into a lift after he’d taken vanilla fentanyl and was effectively dead by the time it got to the next floor

Yes, I’m sure the method used to murder Navalny might never be established by autopsy. In the other cases like Litvinenko, the intention was to clearly show the hand that wields the knife.

I thought the poison that the Israelis used on Khaled Mashaal in Jordan was intriguing . They put it in his ear apparently but the Jordanian doctors managed to reverse it with naloxone. I think it was an extremely potent fentanyl analogue which would probably be too dangerous for routine medical use. Prince got into a lift after he’d taken vanilla fentanyl and was effectively dead by the time it got to the next floor

There was an article in the Metro paper yesterday (so maybe of dubious veracity) that suggested that Navalny had been subjected to a couple of hours of the brutal cold of the Siberian winter and then been punched hard in the heart, thus killing him. The article said it was a known KGB method of eliminating adversaries.

One can only hope that his death strengthens the resistance against the murderous tyrant that is Vladimir Putin.

Navalny funeral today - problems with mobile networks - I wonder why.
But there is still a stream.

advertisement

Back