advertisement

Alexei Navalny dies in prison

A 'heart attack' I presume.

A horrible outcome, if not quite a surprise. If this can mobilize the rest of the world to bring that trumpet-nosed criminal behind bars, then his death will not have been for nothing.

Really took to Navalny on the documentary, almost certainly Putin finished the job after the first botched attempt on the plane.

R.I.P.

Bravery in the extreme given the politics in Russia for the last 10 years+ , no doubt another victim.

Creating a martyr is always ill advised. I do hope that some country is going to rename the street on which the Russian embassy is sited as Navalny Street and perhaps the Ukraine could rename their drones as Navalnys.

I do feel sad for the Russian people, bad as Putin is, what follows is likely to be worse (cf the Shah of Iran). He daren't leave his post because how could he retire peacefully? And he doesn't seem like the sort of person to undertake succession planning so when he does go...

Warning shot to any Russian democrats and a reminder who to vote for.
They fired another shot yesterday:

Russian Warrant Issued For Navalny's Two Lawyers Abroad​

Aleksei Navalny (left) appears with his lawyers Olga Mikhailova (center) and Vadim Kobzev appear via a video link during a court hearing in March 2022.

Aleksei Navalny (left) appears with his lawyers Olga Mikhailova (center) and Vadim Kobzev appear via a video link during a court hearing in March 2022.

The Basmanny district court in Moscow said on February 15 it issued arrest warrants for the self-exiled lawyers of imprisoned Russian opposition politician Aleksei Navalny -- Olga Mikhailova and Aleksandr Fedulov -- on extremism charges over their association with Navalny and his Anti-Corruption Foundation (FBK). In October, Navalny's other lawyers -- Vadim Kobzev, Igor Sergunin, and Aleksei Lipster -- were arrested on the same charge. Mikhailova on Facebook again rejected all charges against her, her colleagues, and Navalny, calling them politically motivated. The FBK and Navalny's other groups were declared extremist and banned in Russia in 2021. To

It is, perhaps, too easy to become inured to this through the usual "accidentally fell out of a hotel window" commentary. But two things.

First, this is a 21st century, thermonuclear-armed power which routinely murders its opposition.

Second, he went back, even after he knew they'd tried to murder him the first time.

I shuddered a little when I heard this morning.

I hope Putin, when he is on his own and reflecting, will feel a cold hand on his heart.
I’d like to be there when he meets his maker and has to account for his life.
Burning in Hell would be too good for him...

One more on the list of the hundreds of thousands of deaths that Putin is responsible for. Putin cannot die too soon.

advertisement

Back