advertisement

Albums no one talks about

I don't see the Golden Palominos get much mention here. I have a soft spot for 'Drunk With Passion' which opens with this:

Anton Fier: drums
Bill Laswell: bass
Nicky Skopelitis: 6 & 12 string electric guitars, dobro
Richard Thompson: lead guitar
Carla Bley: hammond organ
Michael Stipe: vocals

What's not to like?

I also have this lurking somewhere, haven't listened in ages so must give it another airing. I can't even remember what I thought of it...

Restoration Ruin - Keith Jarrett; a terrible singer songwriter folk album, on which he largely plays nylon strung guitar and tambourine and sings terrible corny lyrics completely flat throughout. I think it’s some kind of piss take, although there’s a couple of good horn solos on it.

Does he ever mention it?

Having a listen to it on Qobuz. I think sticking to humming while playing the piano was a good career move.

Ken Elliot is pretty much forgotten nowadays but I'm not sure why. I bought that album on the strength of Hugh Banton of VdGG featuring on one track. I then discovered his earlier bands Chillum and Second Hand also not talked about much. The Chillum album should appeal to fans of Hawkwind, Fairies etc etc

And he was also the man behind this:

Which was probably one of the tracks that got me into synths.

EWCD17_1500.jpg

Micheal Head and the Strands: The Magical World of the Strands - this is a truly magical album. Pretty much everything Mick Head produces is genius, but this is possibly the purest example of his vision.
Met Michael Head through working on the Pale Fountains album "Pacific Street" at London's Nova Studio. The band all had that L'pool humour, what a laugh. Sounds like I should investigate his later stuff ...

Any and every folk music album or CD I own...
Same here and I own hundreds of them.
Although I did come across someone who had the Värttnä (Finland) album - UtU - he works for the French distributor of KEF and an American in the Chord headphone booth at Munich had even heard of Faun (Germany)!!!

advertisement

Back