advertisement

Albums no one talks about

+1 Quantum Jump Great BBC in concert and second album Barracuda. There is an early remix of the first album as well.

+1 here as well. Worth having that first album just for 'No American Starship' which has some great guitar playing from Mark Warner.

Anthony Moore’s album. About as good a post-punk album you’ll hear. Great songs and great sound.

R-625854-1409746827-5601.jpeg.jpg

Stephen

I don't see the Golden Palominos get much mention here. I have a soft spot for 'Drunk With Passion' which opens with this:

Anton Fier: drums
Bill Laswell: bass
Nicky Skopelitis: 6 & 12 string electric guitars, dobro
Richard Thompson: lead guitar
Carla Bley: hammond organ
Michael Stipe: vocals

What's not to like?

That really is a young Julian Clary. I never realised how pretty he was and probably still is. I could fancy him, and I'm not even gay.

Somebody needs to tell that bloke at the front how to use an oxy acet torch though. Yellow flame? What's he think he's doing, lighting a barbeque?

Restoration Ruin - Keith Jarrett; a terrible singer songwriter folk album, on which he largely plays nylon strung guitar and tambourine and sings terrible corny lyrics completely flat throughout. I think it’s some kind of piss take, although there’s a couple of good horn solos on it.

Does he ever mention it?

Control - Jackie Leven, 1971. Fabulous one-off acid/prog/Celtic/hard rock debut album from 1971. Suspiciously accomplished. First released under a nom de plume as he was hiding from some drug dealers in Spain when it was recorded. Next heard of in Doll by Doll.

i'm making my way through a few of these today. the Bill Nelson's Red Noise album isn't on Tidal here in the US -- but luckily for me someone had a NOS copy of the original UK LP on Discogs for $11. done.

now, this Lewis Taylor album is really something. i dig it! the Prince comparison is a good one, and indeed i can't help but wonder whether this record would have been commercially successful if Taylor had a band with the chops of the New Power Generation behind him. in particular, i think a powerful, beast-mode drummer could have added to these mainly mid-tempo burners.

anyway, my contribution to the thread: Parade Ground -- "Cut Up".

R-254154-1108224589.jpg.jpg

advertisement

Back