advertisement

Air Fryers?

unusually I agree with you. Our Combi micro makes brilliant jacket potatoes.
Aha! That's what I mostly use the convection bit for (after a few minutes of micro to soften large potato). Astonishingly fast. 10-12 minutes of that is probably not so expensive energy-wise?

I had an Actifry for a few years, used it about 5 times and then stuffed it in the cupboard. The good thing about an Actifry is they're always in demand so I chucked mine on Ebay and almost got my money back on it so no great loss. Not sure that can be said for any of these no-name Chinese specials.

Aha! That's what I mostly use the convection bit for (after a few minutes of micro to soften large potato). Astonishingly fast. 10-12 minutes of that is probably not so expensive energy-wise?
Dirt cheap. Even if it's 2kW that's less than 0.5 units. Bugger all.

Dirt cheap. Even if it's 2kW that's less than 0.5 units. Bugger all.
That's reassuring. I was using it to bake bread a few years ago and the electricity bill was noticeably higher as a result. Put me off using the convection oven.

That's reassuring. I was using it to bake bread a few years ago and the electricity bill was noticeably higher as a result. Put me off using the convection oven.
Really? I'd like to know why, unless you were baking twice a day. The small convection ovens are 1-2 kW flat out, even now 1kW for 1 hour only costs, what, 40-50p? It was half that a year ago, so I'm unsure how you managed to get a noticeably bigger bill unless you normally have very low consumption.

Really? I'd like to know why, unless you were baking twice a day. The small convection ovens are 1-2 kW flat out, even now 1kW for 1 hour only costs, what, 40-50p? It was half that a year ago, so I'm unsure how you managed to get a noticeably bigger bill unless you normally have very low consumption.
Yes I do normally have low consumption. Usually because I'm out early and even when I get back I don't use much energy. I also never use the heating unless it's extremely cold. However the bread baking knocked the bill up quite considerably by a couple of hundred euros. Could be the oven was old and inefficient? I was baking much more than once a week. When that oven conked out and I waited a little while before replacing it the electricity use dropped.

I have had two air fryers. The first was an original Tefal Actifry and after that, a Phillips HD9220. They were both used mainly for chips and both gave pretty much the same results.
The Actifry has a plastic stirring paddle that became brittle with the heat and had to be replaced as well as a plastic heat deflector around the bowl that began to break up. I was concerned about plastic contamination so I disposed of it at the recycling centre. I'm not sure if later Actifry models have the same problems.
The Phillips appears simpler in design, there is no stirring paddle and the food contact parts are all metal so there is no plastic in contact with the food.

Yes I do normally have low consumption. Usually because I'm out early and even when I get back I don't use much energy. I also never use the heating unless it's extremely cold. However the bread baking knocked the bill up quite considerably by a couple of hundred euros. Could be the oven was old and inefficient? I was baking much more than once a week. When that oven conked out and I waited a little while before replacing it the electricity use dropped.

That's a vast amount of baking!

I do one batch every three weeks, slice it and freeze.

Most of the air fryers seem 2kW plus so can't be a lot quicker than a standard fan oven unless they change the laws of physics.

It's quite a tight space so the benefit might be from a reduced surface area?

The only person i know who succumbed to the hype is now remorseful.

Good time of year now for oven chips, nice low sugar levels.

I've done tandoori pieces and it worked well, max temp is 200C.

My partner is using the air fryer, single drawer early model, and is getting great results. I cooked chicken shawarma yesterday. marinated them 24 hours before, cooked in about 30 mins, juicy meat and lovely charred edges. waiting for a crop of spuds to finish and cannot wait to have a crack at them. we are amazed at the amount of oil/fat residue, no going back now

advertisement

Back