advertisement

AI=Extinction...

I never said it was their fault they were low academic achievers did I? There are a lot of reasons why individuals don't do well at school. The results are facts though, and your career prospects with low academic achievement is also factual. Of course plenty of people who don't do well at school go on to careers which are hugely valuable to society. I was talking specifically about office jobs.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post Gez,

I have re-read the post I responded to and cannot see reference to Office Workers; however I was driving past an office the other day and wondered about the potential impact of AI on their occupation. Recruitment incidentally.

The part of your post I was referring to was the (apparently) flippent comment referring to "...shelf stackers..."
As an aside, I believe that every occupation has value in our society.

Anyhoo; watched a very interesting film about AI recently:

Edited as promised with IMDB link to the film referred to above.
😎

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post Gez,

I have re-read the post I responded to and cannot see reference to Office Workers; however I was driving past an office the other day and wondered about the potential impact of AI on their occupation. Recruitment incidentally.

The part of your post I was referring to was the (apparently) flippent comment referring to "...shelf stackers..."
As an aside, I believe that every occupation has value in our society.

Anyhoo; watched a very interesting film about AI recently. Will find the title and edit my post accordingly.
😎
To be fair, I didn't explicitly state office workers, but that's the workforce I was thinking about. I could have worded my post better.

The "shelf stackers" comment wasn't intended to be flippant, definitely wasn't intended to be judgemental of people finding themselves in the unenviable position of only have such jobs as a realistic employment choice (of course there is always the potential for internal advancement in any company). I was just trying to convey that people of that academic achievement level already have limited choices to start with (not blaming them for that fact), and don't fill roles that AI is going to impact. So aren't in my view going to be the ones affected by AI (at least not until AI get's to the point where it's installed in to a robot that can stack shelves), but those people who's work is typical office work definitely will.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say initially.

I think the existential threat is exaggerated. It makes it much more difficult to believe things you read however.

I know that's just a throwaway cynical response, but no. Really, no.

Well, if it’s decisions made by a businesses, they are nobody else’s concern other than shareholders, provided they are lawful. If it’s govt, then we have a vote on that at every GE. Companies change and evolve or go bust. The change for many is going to be pretty fundamental and material. A mate who’s a partner in a mid size law firm said to me he’s glad he’s near the end of his career rather than at the beginning.

Well, if it’s decisions made by a businesses, they are nobody else’s concern other than shareholders, provided they are lawful. If it’s govt, then we have a vote on that at every GE. Companies change and evolve or go bust. The change for many is going to be pretty fundamental and material. A mate who’s a partner in a mid size law firm said to me he’s glad he’s near the end of his career rather than at the beginning.
I have to say, I'm of a similar mind. So glad I'm not just starting my career, or worse 10-15 years in to one. Actually just generally with the way society is going overall, particularly in the work environment. I'll happily spend my retirement having as little do with people more than 20 years younger than me as possible.

The difficulty which you’re overlooking, is that with AI, it may not be possible to determine what is lawful. So, for example, a company replaces part of its recruitment team with AI. Let’s say that the bot just sifts incoming applications and CVs and does the shortlisting. Without access to the algorithm, and the knowledge to interrogate it and interpret the results, you can’t know if the shortlisting was genuinely the best candidates for the role, or if people were excluded on the basis of gender, ethnicity, disability, or other protected characteristics. Similarly any AI process that makes decisions which affect people.

I have to say, I'm of a similar mind. So glad I'm not just starting my career, or worse 10-15 years in to one. Actually just generally with the way society is going overall, particularly in the work environment. I'll happily spend my retirement having as little do with people more than 20 years younger than me as possible.

Yes, I think the mid career, middle management generation will be worst hit. Scores of roles will be superfluous to requirements both in the private and public sectors. The younger generation will just crack on because it’s all they’ll know, those with the right skills and attitude will progress as normal. Competition will be absolutely ferocious mind.

The difficulty which you’re overlooking, is that with AI, it may not be possible to determine what is lawful. So, for example, a company replaces part of its recruitment team with AI. Let’s say that the bot just sifts incoming applications and CVs and does the shortlisting. Without access to the algorithm, and the knowledge to interrogate it and interpret the results, you can’t know if the shortlisting was genuinely the best candidates for the role, or if people were excluded on the basis of gender, ethnicity, disability, or other protected characteristics. Similarly any AI process that makes decisions which affect people.
Surely it is equally difficult to spot discrimination with human based selection? Or putting it another way, you could spot AI discrimination just as easily using a statistical analysis.

I think the existential threat is exaggerated. It makes it much more difficult to believe things you read however.
Not directly, perhaps, but I don't think we have to push the Gini coefficient too much further and the existence of our relatively peaceful democracies will be very precarious. AI has the potential to massively amplify the wealth divide and there must be a tipping point when some %age of the population can't meet their basic needs.

It will also make it much harder to understand what was done, what decisions were made, what the basis for those decisions was, and to challenge them once made.
True indeed. You think we've got blank-faced unresponsive private and public bureaucracies now, just wait. A whole new skill set will be needed to argue with robots, if it can even be done....

Surely it is equally difficult to spot discrimination with human based selection? Or putting it another way, you could spot AI discrimination just as easily using a statistical analysis.
Sometimes the bias is subtle though. Did you know, for example, that facial recognition technology is less reliable with black and brown faces, which may make mis-identification more likely in those communities. That’s generally put down to the training data that was used. With human decisions, you can at least ask the human why they made the decision, and go over the process if you choose to. Not really viable with machine learning AI algorithms, often with millions of lines of code.

True indeed. You think we've got blank-faced unresponsive private and public bureaucracies now, just wait. A whole new skill set will be needed to argue with robots, if it can even be done....
Oh, I dunno. Just remove the batteries. If that doesn't work, sledgehammers are good.

John

advertisement

Back