advertisement

Aftermarket Power Cord Recommendation for Naim\Pardo

Normal human expectation, bias, etc. are always amongst the list of possible reasons but usually get ignored or dismissed.

I cottoned on to this as a factor decades ago. Quad published statistics on amplifier tests where listeners under blind test conditions heard and reported a difference between amplifiers in about 35% of the cases where they were hearing exactly the same equipment and recording. There was no technical difference but there was a human one.
Not to mention the commercial incentives of those who benefit from consumers believing that because speakers can sound different, everything can sound different.

Psuedo-science and religious fervour colliding to create 95%+ profit margins.

Gosh, this thread has degenerated rather since I last looked at it - given the utterly irreconcilable positions of the various participants I'm not sure why anyone bothers to contribute.

As with so many things on the internet, one is just left with the extreme ends of any given discussion - in this case, those who rigidly assert that all current scientific models are perfect and if something can't be measured then it cannot exist, and at the other end of the spectrum those who have thrown out the scientific baby with the bathwater (as it were) and are prepared to believe (and buy at significant cost) any old tin-foil-hat nonsense that comes along.

I suggest there is a reasonable middle ground, where one can operate with an open mind, remain highly sceptical of marketing claptrap, and experiment with tweaks such as mains cables at a reasonable price point without having to declare allegiance to any particular side of the argument - personally I find it fascinating that I perceive differences where there "shouldn't" be any (digital cables, for example), and I would also be interested in knowing what produces these differences - possibly when the chaps at Cern have a free moment, they could look into it for us? 😉

People hear differences when none exist, tell them you've changed something when you haven't and they'll believe it. There's no more to it than that.

A fuse cannot possibly change the sound of a hifi component and the only way to 'prove' it does is by statistically valid, rigorous blind testing that removes all bias.

I asked ChatGPT to write advertising copy for some speaker cable based on the technical parameters. This cable costs £1.80 per metre…

Experience audio excellence like never before with our premium speaker cables, meticulously engineered to exceed your expectations. Crafted with fine stranding for unparalleled flexibility, our cables effortlessly adapt to any setup, ensuring convenience without compromise. With a reduced outer diameter of 2 x 2.5mm, they seamlessly integrate with XLR connectors and mono jacks, providing versatility without sacrificing performance.

Indulge in sonic purity with our ultra-pure oxygen-free copper conductors, delivering outstanding sonic integrity and uncompromising sound quality. Whether you're a seasoned audiophile or a professional musician, our cables guarantee pristine audio reproduction, allowing you to hear every nuance and detail with astonishing clarity.

Built to last, our speaker cables boast a robust construction, featuring bare ultra-pure oxygen-free copper conductors, PVC insulation, and a flexible PVC composite jacket in a stunning sapphire blue finish. With a working voltage of 300/500V and a test voltage of 2000V DC for 1 minute, rest assured that our cables are as reliable as they are exceptional.

Elevate your audio experience with our premium speaker cables – where flexibility, purity, and performance converge to create sonic perfection. Unlock the true potential of your sound system and immerse yourself in a world of unparalleled audio fidelity.
Bloody hell, that's good copy. A bit flowery, sure, but as an AI first stab, amazing.

Bloody hell, that's good copy. A bit flowery, sure, but as an AI first stab, amazing.
Bollocks. If a real manufacturer put that in a brochure or web page, you'd hear the hoots of derision on the Moon. It doesn't even make sense.

Still, one bonus point for ChatGPT not mentioning 'your cable journey.'

Bollocks. If a real manufacturer put that in a brochure or web page, you'd hear the hoots of derision on the Moon. It doesn't even make sense.

Still, one bonus point for not mentioning 'your cable journey.'
Bollocks to your opinion too. I've seen far worse than that in the ads in HFW and worse again in the so called reviews back in the day.
I don't have a "cable journey" . I've tried a few, got taken in by some of the nonsense written in the hifi press of the 90s, and now my cables only have a journey from one piece of equipment to the other.

We believe that you experience hearing a difference, but no change has been made to the sound coming out of the speakers.

It's not a binary thing, just because two sounds are measurably identical doesn't mean you don't hear them differently, ie the experience you have is one of total belief that the sound has changed. Because your ears aren't a measuring device and you cannot remove emotional and psychological biases.

To call you a liar would mean that we are claiming that you are knowingly misrepresenting the auditory experience that you had. That's not what we're saying. We believe you experienced hearing a difference, it's just that, measurably speaking there was none.

"I heard a difference" and "there isn't a difference to measure", are not mutually exclusive. Not because measuring gear in falable but because the ear, brain, emotional response is.

This thread just keeps on giving. If something cannot technically make a difference then that’s it, done, nothing more to say. You can paint the fuse whatever colour you want.

Seriously, just get some balance in your life, maybe try another hobby, leave the house every now & then.;)

We believe that you experience hearing a difference, but no change has been made to the sound coming out of the speakers.

It's not a binary thing, just because two sounds are measurably identical doesn't mean you don't hear them differently, ie the experience you have is one of total belief that the sound has changed. Because your ears aren't a measuring device and you cannot remove emotional and psychological biases.

To call you a liar would mean that we are claiming that you are knowingly misrepresenting the auditory experience that you had. That's not what we're saying. We believe you experienced hearing a difference, it's just that, measurably speaking there was none.

"I heard a difference" and "there isn't a difference to measure", are not mutually exclusive. Not because measuring gear in falable but because the ear, brain, emotional response is.
Spot on IMHO

Peter Belt had it all figured out 30 years ago when he wanted audiophiles to paint their fuses ends purple. He said something like, “do it and think about what it means”. Clever chap.

Peter Belt had it all figured out 30 years ago when he wanted audiophiles to paint their fuses ends purple. He said something like, “do it and think about what it means”. Clever chap.
Agreed. The only real difference being that Peter Belt had to rely upon UK hi-fi press shills like Jimmy Hughes to help shift shite. It would appear that Synergistic Research's Ted Denny is America's Peter Belt for the new self-deluded internet audiophile generation. Throw up some videos espousing the supposed merits of shoving an alternative thread of sacrificial wire suppository up the arse of ones gear and the Pavlovian internet punters wet themselves.

PB used to live in Leeds in the 90s, about a mile away from me at the time. I never knew until then that he was from, or lived in, Yorkshire. It doesn't really fit. I never met him, I just remember his bizarre recommendations of the 80s.

At least Belt's 'Quantum Clip' had other 'homeopathic' uses.

Then again, perhaps these purple and orange suppositories do too.

IIRC Mark Tucker of NAIM wrote a fuse tip (circa 2001). He suggested, IIRC, orienting a fuse with the writing, showing to the outside, sounded better. I doubt NAIM would sanction a tip if it didn't work, especially at that time, as they were trying to avoid hi-fi tweaking, this was according to Paul Stevenson when I was on a factory visit to get my NAP250 serviced (those were the days, this was in his cowboy boot era), I asked what he thought about the gold-plated power plugs the "Flat Earth' magazine was selling, he replied that NAIM just wanted the customer or dealer to plug the equipment in and get great sound.

IIRC Mark Tucker of NAIM wrote a fuse tip (circa 2001). He suggested, IIRC, orienting a fuse with the writing, showing to the outside, sounded better. I doubt NAIM would sanction a tip if it didn't work, especially at that time, as they were trying to avoid hi-fi tweaking, this was according to Paul Stevenson when I was on a factory visit to get my NAP250 serviced (those were the days, this was in his cowboy boot era), I asked what he thought about the gold-plated power plugs the "Flat Earth' magazine was selling, he replied that NAIM just wanted the customer or dealer to plug the equipment in and get great sound.
It's madness! Naim Audio suggesting a particular Fuse orientation and directionality?

advertisement

Back