advertisement

After tackling Miles Davis, what next?

redmedicine

pfm Member
So...

I've been digesting the Perfect Miles box set. I've filled in the gaps with this and that, got very attached to both the Second Quintet and the dark seventies live albums (Dark Magus, Pangaea, Agharta). I tried and struggled with the Mahavishnu (because I like the Miles fusion stuff), tried Don Cherry's Symphony for Improvisers and definitely liked it...

WHERE NEXT?

So...

I've been digesting the Perfect Miles box set. I've filled in the gaps with this and that, got very attached to both the Second Quintet and the dark seventies live albums (Dark Magus, Pangaea, Agharta). I tried and struggled with the Mahavishnu (because I like the Miles fusion stuff), tried Don Cherry's Symphony for Improvisers and definitely liked it...

WHERE NEXT?

Funkedelic, the whole George Clinton one nation under a groove thing. I say this because was Looking for that funk sound in the early 70s.

I struggle with Dark Magus, but love Mahavishnu. Can you describe what you don't like about the Mahavishnu stuff?

Thank you both! I quite liked Inner Rising flame when I returned to it (first time in 32 years!) recently but too much of the music seemed to be in the service of the solos rather than the other way around. Whereas when I hear John MacGaughlin on Jack Johnson or as part of the Escalator Over The Hill ensemble, it feels like a much purer expression.

Admittedly, Dark Magus is the one I like least of that trinity of live sets whereas even my jazz-hating wife can listen to Pangaea.

Mahavishnu are ace. You should stick with them.

Do you know At the Mountains of Madness by the Electric Masada?

Mahavishnu are ace. You should stick with them.

Do you know At the Mountains of Madness by the Electric Masada?

John Zorn's output would be worth investigating, a lot of material there which is very diverse and takes a bit of patience (a bit like Miles Davis himself) and I found (and am still finding) very rewarding.

Cheers Anex and Monkfish - Zorn! I've got a few Tzaddik recordings but have never really tackled Zorn. I'll check it out.
Time Audio - Art Pepper. Hmm. Starting with what? Would that be in relation to Miles' Second Quintet stuff?

At the Mountains of Madness, any of the Herbie Hancock Mwandishi albums and almost any Art Pepper album would be a damn near perfect evening of music.

Re Art Pepper: His very, very best stuff is probably any of his live recordings made between 1977 and 1981.

If you like Escalator over the Hill you might enjoy Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra recordings - big band w. Carla Bley arrangements, Don Cherry, Gato Barbieri (on the original form the 60's at least).

Cheers Anex and Monkfish - Zorn! I've got a few Tzaddik recordings but have never really tackled Zorn. I'll check it out.
Time Audio - Art Pepper. Hmm. Starting with what? Would that be in relation to Miles' Second Quintet stuff?

Yeah meets the rhythm section and some other stuff is good too...just look him up :) Smack up is good :)

advertisement

Back