advertisement

After tackling Miles Davis, what next?

Check out The Tony Williams Lifetime. And you really should give Mahavishnu Orchestra a second chance. Try Birds of Fire it possibly having less noodle than most. My personal fav being Visions of the Emerald Beyond.

I'd not write Mahavishnu Orchestra off without at least spending some time with Inner Mounting Flame as that's the darkest and most free of the ones I'm familiar with. I don't feel it's up there with Miles, but it's still a damn good album. Mahavishnu Orchestra is great value via this box, or indeed this one. Weather Report can be obtained in a very similar manner e.g. The Complete Columbia Studio Albums, or via a couple of Original Album Classic boxes which bring some live albums too (first, second). Again I'm preferring the earlier stuff there.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Charles Mingus, late period Coltrane and Ornette Coleman, are up there with Miles Davis in terms of musical development and experimentation.

You could also try Henry Cow and the multiple releases put out by their one-time guitarist, Fred Frith.

Fred is currently a Professor of Composition in the Music Department at Mills College in Oakland, California.

The Step Across The Border documentary, which includes John Zorn, captures Frith brilliantly.

Jack

So...

I've been digesting the Perfect Miles box set. I've filled in the gaps with this and that, got very attached to both the Second Quintet and the dark seventies live albums (Dark Magus, Pangaea, Agharta). I tried and struggled with the Mahavishnu (because I like the Miles fusion stuff), tried Don Cherry's Symphony for Improvisers and definitely liked it...

WHERE NEXT?

Wow redmedicine - what a huge question!

One of the main strengths of Miles was his ability to hire innovative musicians who brought something fresh to the party, many of whom went on to make outstanding music of their own.

You mention a couple of periods of Miles music you like. Perhaps begin by looking back into his 50s period, and then into his 80s period. Both fertile times. Then I would start by following the rich trail of some of his sidemen from all periods. It depends if you have a preference for instrument. From the 50s you could pick Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Red Garland, Cannonball Adderley....all produced a mountain of great stuff themselves.

From the second quintet perhaps a mention of a few records worth investigating. Herbie Hancock must haves are Maiden Voyage and Headhunters. Tony Williams Lifetime has been mentioned. Wayne Shorter of course led to Weather Report - must have records, most any of them.

After that it gets richer still in my view. Bitches Brew period spawned a host of music from his sidemen and launched the fusion thing. Zawinul again went on to Weather Report - any of the first six LPs are awesome, and his solo record Zawinul is brilliant too. A Chick Corea must have is Return to Forever. Keith Jarrett's output is too big to pick one from. John McLaughlin's solo record Extrapolition is brilliant for electric, and his Shakti acoustic project amazing. Jack DeJohnette as a drummer has some solo records but as a further sideman has contributed a staggering quantity of top quality work.

From the 70s and 80s there are fantastic guitarists to try. John Scofield's time on My Hands, and Hand Jive are just two good 'uns. Mike Stern's Time and Place, and Play another two. David Liebmann's catalogue is worth a visit.

It just goes on and on!

You'll need a year or three to find the answer. And it will be fun looking.

Cheers
David

Charles Mingus, late period Coltrane and Ornette Coleman, are up there with Miles Davis in terms of musical development and experimentation.

I feel there's also a distinctly German feel to some of Miles' 70s output - stuff like Get Up With It, Live Evil, Pangaea, Agharta etc fit rather well with things like Can's Tago Mago, the improv sides of Amon Düül II's Phalus Dei, Yeti, some Faust etc, just as they do with the preceding jazz or the 60s-70s funk of Sly & The Family Stone, Isaac Hayes etc. It's amazing and very interesting music for sure. I'd love to know how much (if at all) these genres fed from one another.

I feel there's also a distinctly German feel to some of Miles' 70s output - stuff like Get Up With It, Live Evil, Pangaea, Agharta etc fit rather well with things like Can's Tago Mago, the improv sides of Amon Düül II's Phalus Dei, Yeti, some Faust etc, just as they do with the preceding jazz or the 60s-70s funk of Sly & The Family Stone, Isaac Hayes etc. It's amazing and very interesting music for sure. I'd love to know how much (if at all) these genres fed from one another.

I'd like to know that as well, Tony. I think you are completely right.

Jack

You could also try Henry Cow and the multiple releases put out by their one-time guitarist, Fred Frith.

Fred is currently a Professor of Composition in the Music Department at Mills College in Oakland, California.

The Step Across The Border documentary, which includes John Zorn, captures Frith brilliantly.

Jack

Didn't know about Step across the border, thanks for that Jack.

I'm going to take you in a different direction and suggest you fully investigate Chick Corea. Mahavishnu's Birds Of Fire is one of my top 5 all time albums, so I don't get the 'noodling' charge, but Chick Corea IS Sessions would be a mellow start and another dip into fusion would be with Return To Forever - No Mystery etc. It would be worth trying to catch his Electrik Band and RTF from the Montreaux DVD\Blu-Rays, which you may find on YouTube for a taster, and keep and eye on SKyArt channel.

Other than that, I would suggest you enter the Coltrane arena.

(Lenny White is my favourite drummer in the history of the world)

And from 1974 when the genius wonderful man-god Lenny White was more enthusiasm than maturity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

I'd forgotten about the Cow. The Henry Cow spin off projects like Art Bears are also great but moving into different territory.

Robert Frank is also in Step Across the Border.

Oh no I have just seen the list of Frith CDs on Amazon. I now have to investigate and my wallet will take another hit

Thanks guys :)

I always think To Sail, To Sail is a great place to start. It's Frith playing solo prepared acoustic. Quite easy going, a lovely record. On Tzadik too so easy to get hold of.

Thank you all! I think I'll try and find time to collate these suggestions and put them within my initial question. Clearly I've got a lot of listening to do :)

Another Frith angle is Massacre (Fred Frith, Bill Laswell, Charles Hayward) who are bloody ace. There's all sorts of different styles going on in there. Parts of it even remind me of Fugazi... :) Lonely Heart is a great record, and I see they have a new one out which I'm about to order.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back