advertisement

Advice on speakers for naim

I also used Rega ELAs to good effect on 180 & 250, Mk1 & Mk2, the Mk1s were better.
I’ve had a pair of Royd Apex for many years, and they still sound very good today. The Mk1 ELA was based on the Apex, and is virtually identical. If you can find a good pair of either, they would be a good option for very little money.

Just been listening to some very nice naim kit at sevenoaks sound and vision in Solihull , what a lovely bunch of guys there , so enthusiastic about their product . I only went to Solihull to raid the coffers and somehow ended up there .....:)

They had some massive sopra 3 in the demo room ! which i listened to

If you like naim and focal then rick has a bargain priced pair of sopra 1 [ musicraft ]

Sopra on a Nap 140 seriously !

Get source improved and listen to affordable Rega, Royd or SBL advice given

I would say that this is the wrong way round.

First find suitable speakers for your taste and room. Then find the optimal amplification and sources for your taste and space.

It may well be that the suitable solution is Naim SBLs for your amplification, and if your room is suitable for the SBLs, then you are set, provided the effect is what fits your taste!

I have had SBLs on the end of Naim, and this fitted my taste quite well [very well in fact], but not just as well as an ESL on the end of a Quad valve amp!

Best wishes from George

I’ve had a pair of Royd Apex for many years, and they still sound very good today. The Mk1 ELA was based on the Apex, and is virtually identical. If you can find a good pair of either, they would be a good option for very little money.

If you want to sell your Apexes (Apices?) for "very little money" please do let me know!

If you want to sell your Apexes (Apices?) for "very little money" please do let me know!
Hi, my daughter has them at the moment, she may decide that she wants something smaller at some stage, in which case I’ll let you know. They are black ash, and not in perfect nick, but they do have both of the mid/bass drivers intact (and I have a spare in the loft) which have been out of production for a long time.

Strangely no mention of SBL's so far.

Quite a good option I'd have thought.

Also Ruark tallismans & crusaders

Ruark Talismans may be a good match. The Crusader 2 is the best of the various versions but they need good amplification with real control to give of their best. It wasn't until I hooked them up to a Pioneer A27 that they really started to sing and that is a very serious integrated. They are superb speakers though and great value. Previous JVC and Sony integrateds and an Exposure 17/18 didn't really hit the spot. Good but not great.

advertisement

Back