advertisement

Advice on speakers for naim

I have a Nac72/Nap140/HiCap and some Mission speakers (773). My CD player is a Rotel 991 with Burson V6 vivid opamps upgrade. More often than not though I’m streaming QoBuz via raspberry Pi into Burson Audio Swing (vivid ops amps again). I feel I could do with some better speakers and happy to spend up to up to about £1000. Any suggestions really appreciated

PMC DB1i or their larger brothers the TB2i both work brilliantly with your amplifier.
How do we know? Because we have the DB1i on the end of our NAP140 and the brother in law has the larger TB2i on the end of his NAP140.
I suspect that neither is current production at PMC, so they will be well within your budget.
Hope this helps, FT

Every pair of Neats I’ve heard on the end of Naim amps have sounded great. Obviously depends on your room but Creative Audio have got new SX2’s for £995 (RRP £1,595). Brilliant speakers.

PMC DB1i or their larger brothers the TB2i both work brilliantly with your amplifier.
How do we know? Because we have the DB1i on the end of our NAP140 and the brother in law has the larger TB2i on the end of his NAP140.
I suspect that neither is current production at PMC, so they will be well within your budget.
Hope this helps, FT
Thanks so much - will have a look for these now

Every pair of Neats I’ve heard on the end of Naim amps have sounded great. Obviously depends on your room but Creative Audio have got new SX2’s for £995 (RRP £1,595). Brilliant speakers.

Second that. Been using Neat speakers with Naim for ages. Perfect match but do demo them first in your room with the rest of your kit if at all possible.

I had Living Voice Auditorium at the end of the same Naim set up, 72/HC/140. These were the entry level of the range. Mine had custom granite bases when I got them (used).

I'm still looking to replace an old pair of Wharfedale 505.2s (£50 on ebay) in my Naim 72/250 system.

They sound fast and extended. Hard not to enjoy.

But I'm beginning to doubt my sanity! Are they not too inexpensive!?

You don't mention the size of the room. Echo the Neat idea. But Regas are a very safe option; be it old (I think there's a pair of ELA Mk2s in the classifieds here for £80, which is insanely good vfm), or more modern (RS/RX 3/5/7s).

If it's a small and/or well damped room, older ProAc standmounts (Tabeltte/Response 1SC) are fantastic with a 140.

You don't mention the size of the room. Echo the Neat idea. But Regas are a very safe option; be it old (I think there's a pair of ELA Mk2s in the classifieds here for £80, which is insanely good vfm), or more modern (RS/RX 3/5/7s).

If it's a small and/or well damped room, older ProAc standmounts (Tabeltte/Response 1SC) are fantastic with a 140.
I use the Mk2 Elas with my 72/140 amps and they are pretty well matched IMO.
...and then my mate only goes and lends me a pair of 12" Tannoys...
...an act of extreme cruelty as they sound absolutely wonderful and I want them but I can't have them 'cos he ain't selling them.

Bastard...:)

Agree about SBLs - (see post #7).
And with advice on diy gaskets, plus Garyi's excellent set up guide, in the "Reference" forum they are great value now.

I also used Rega ELAs to good effect on 180 & 250, Mk1 & Mk2, the Mk1s were better.

Rega ELAs make a lovely noise with your amps. However they are old and finding a mint pair would be hard.
Russell k Red100 if you are after something newer.

advertisement

Back