advertisement

Advice on designing your own mains filter

Do you still use it? I have one that I've loaned to a friend. I may have to get it back.

Are all the outputs rated the same?
Are there any pics of the inside available?

Thanks

Yes, mine is in use every day.

I have one that I've loaned to a friend. I may have to get it back. You have a James Audio? Id get it back and take the lid off, when you do you will be surprised at the size of the isolation transformer 2.2kVA IIRC which is lifted off the case work by 'Paxolin' spacers, it also protected by thermistors attached via s/s straps and in series with the filtered mains.

Each outlet has a large CRC network which reduce in size from outlet 1 - 6. or 6 - 1 cant remember now.

_uWcDpn7z3l9IVYvoWh_2gw06YuQ8aGuhk5Aofpvown913FZmnK6mS8IH7aqQBaO7qAJvurzXEirrb3wiPrFOauEM-9Viw2Qq5eG2EM-UggEEOJIDXihrbKWMdQT6HkG_ScQXqs6x7ayl_5ettzjSKqSJpNT3TRAC2o_PDh5gT0h7IRYXzFJwJb-hOFG56ASzYXrSJmtaLHYTreDLDR5qqkVYHQ3ZFU6eu11CAwLeajZlHcQP6fwJQIYUmRIiMx1pshKs_G5wdwn9XO1clP33T2vuRFMtY1UqyrwcNiAld2--k_M9wazgoNoR0UCbfJg3lTS1NweRYt_Q97MYH4ZldQKo6rj5CTG28CF6jTKG0e_4Bk2PmXyMFfKXKgQlqHg7P4r1-9T_x3jIAUGInyN0NbgPqn91AhHzqMYMrMQmCq245NM3NRwrCrcEAR1EIrBifW9ra8FDRbUhTzNJUq_TfOdyBlFgLxDdbn-xfd1RQxlebtKhYtxv2aHZ42WgLtzcRTHwRY2965oH6vFW5gLMVWaGrPrVtbgmOhYm3qUWa4hKC1LaUum0LtJG5GfOAmhMal1vT-kK4ju3HdYrHRhmXqjnaSzyj0d13_sLWmXi5X_MvGGxSm5F1B13_Xd7aH14MumWCXHBi7hnHq8zJpEvZq_UfOiht-2EjY_8QFFVmfE8dwZQEsO-o46k-K0-SAXfsNbG2JeQiVQ-9551VIe4TgONEmAYR151xW9wqKtWs--5HhFOqHjvmHNibMUfmAXDhkbboHmNKSf-hhSZniaDK3XSpLHO7tg1Y6KNQ2oKz-EVkfewIl_ggkSm_cQxursXX_NiirEpTTIKc3qmMgHqsJK92ADyyM2rbVs226Ft6YrXutVMkRKVrSIEwLY5T_wl0NtwPmij_E3Ykl3FU5CbsKC0IMQFMBuUBJWxEwbcgFb=w668-h890-no

Total output should not exceed 600watts & no more than 250watts with Class A amplifiers. I can confirm the Class A max... as it in my case it popped the output fuse 6.15A(T) 250v when driving two 100watt Class A Pass Lab amps.

NB. Some years ago I did audition a ISOTEK conditioner (cant remember the model) thinking that 'tech' had made good advances, it hadn't and glad I didn't need to shell out for a new 'modern mains conditioner'.

phoca_thumb_l_evo3-aquarius-isotek-2.jpg

I'm amazed at what's in a modern conditioner...for the money.

Are all the outputs rated the same? No.
Are there any pics of the inside available?

@laverda - That's an Isotek product?

Classic 'hifi' type of mug's-eyeful; a great deal of very basic stuff, and not implemented well. But looks great in the mags, with the lid-off I'm sure.

(small cap, small CM choke, small cap - on each outlet: but no thought to managing resonance issues that arise;

Also, so many small Y caps effectively in parallel. potential different sort of mess there - wither they all add up to a compliant value (under 4.7nF) hence nr useless on any of six outlets - or the whole add a massive amount of L-E leakage & since that won't be acceptable from a compliance POV, the former must apply)

That one big open, pcb will defeat the object of the game. And are the PCB traces fully the same CSA as those impressive thick wires to each socket? Those of the CM chokes are not.

Also - a flood of potting resin incorporating no less than a Rifa paper-based X2 cap, that will die badly - and also a bunch of VDRs, sprinkled about: that WILL fail, and will scrap the whole unit given .. given the flood of resin; even if they don't set-fire to it

..on which point, better hope there's a really well considered input fuse...)

Crikey, I can be cynical.

Some more basic errors in that photo:
Very crudely wound chokes - neat and tight windings make a big difference at higher frequencies
Potting reduces current rating of PCB tracks
Wires to the sockets should be twisted together to keep them isolated
What is that tiny electrolytic in the foreground, another early wear out item?

Interesting thread I have just been experimenting with this and have built two differential mode versions with 3 pin plugs as an experiment. They do make a difference, cap choice makes. difference as well as value, I'm still experimenting so not concluded or stopped.

Another valid point is I did blind test three similar units A-B-C with the help of my brother and not only could I clearly here differences, I was able to tell which was which with 100% accuracy which surprised me. They do need time to settle run in as well

advertisement

Back