advertisement

Adventures with LP12s . . .

The audiomods arm looks ace!

Yes, it is a nice looking arm. I think the three prettiest looking arms for the LP12 are the Audiomods Classic, the Linn Ittok LVII & the Naim Aro.

I came to this particular combination as a result of buying a used Kore (pfm) so that I could use the LP12 in the second system with an RB250 that was going spare. Then I swapped the Audiomods for a Zeta on the Lenco 88 that I use in the main system & luck would have it the the Adiomods is Rega fit, so bingo! I currently use the Norton AirPower, though I have a Lingo 1 too.

The logical next step would be a Karousel, if I can justify the expenditure on the office system!

It would be interesting to hear if my preference for the Norton over the Lingo would be reversed if I had a Karousel fitted.

If anyone has a fluted, corner braced mint plinth, I'd happily swap it for my mint Linn Maple plinth.

I can offer you a grotty old (1981 vintage, I think, but I'd need to check the receipt), fluted, no corner braces, yada, yada, yada, for your very nice maple........

OK, so it was worth a try.....:D:D:D:D:D

The prices of used LP12 parts is ridiculous. A tidy plinth will cost you around £400. I sold an entire LP12 with corner-braced plinth for not much more than that a couple of years ago!

Add me into the fluted plinth gang.

I think it is a classic piece of design, the flutes break up the flat sides perfectly IMO and the shade of wood is spot on- not too dark as to look like an ancient piece of furniture but not light enough to pretend it's trying to be anything modern. Mine.

I have a grado sonata. It's the worst cartridge I've owned. . .

What did (do?) you dislike about it?

The LP12 landed, and I've only plugged it in and listened to a few tracks. I feel like I'm hearing the Grado more than the LP12 - a bit leaden and over-warm.

I feel like I'm hearing the Grado more than the LP12 - a bit leaden and over-warm.

I don't think the Grado will suit the sound of the LP12 for the exact reason you suggest. It has a full, warm sound itself so Grados, a lot of Ortofons etc are too much of a warm thing. The Grado is an oddball cart that will be really nice in a limited number of contexts. The LP12 you have is the other end of the scale and will make huge variety of carts sound good.

If you look at the kind of carts other people are running you'll get the idea. Pretty much anything by Audio Technica, especially the moving magnets. Most Linn MM carts have been Audio Technicas. If you want slightly warmer Nagaokas are good. It really just depends on your taste but if you want to get away from the lush, soft sound of the Grado I'd try an Audio Technica first.

What did (do?) you dislike about it?

The LP12 landed, and I've only plugged it in and listened to a few tracks. I feel like I'm hearing the Grado more than the LP12 - a bit leaden and over-warm.
I thought it sounded flat Bob, flat, undynamic, stodgy and it didnt track very well

I thought it sounded flat Bob, flat, undynamic, stodgy and it didn't track very well

That mirrors my thoughts on the Green I have, I imagine there is a family sound. It paired well with the lean but dynamic RP10 but it still fell short on dynamics and had issues at the frequency extremes. It's a one-trick pony. If you like that liquid midrange, listen only to female vocals on a limited resolution system, then it might make you happy but a well rounded cartridge it isn't.

Although not a Linnet, I much prefer the fluted plinth. Classic and classy. Without the flutes the plinth looks blocky to my eye.

(The appearance is about the only thing about the LP12 that I have an opinion on!)

Same situation here only the opposite opinion, for me the fluted plinth is a dated look from the 70's the decade where taste and style took a long holiday and we ended up wearing flares, floral shirts with ridiculous collars, matching ties and driving Allegros.
Put an Lp12 in a plain wooden surround and you have a classic aesthetic, all imho of course.

Put an Lp12 in a plain wooden surround and you have a classic aesthetic, all imho of course.

I agree. I'm about to build a fluted plinth LP12 but only because that's what I got in the kit and it's an immaculate plinth. I can live with it happily enough but I prefer the smooth ones.

I thought I’d join this thread as I recently had my LP12 serviced.

( I started a thread on it under ‘Classic’ on July the 6th )

Bought in ‘81 ( from Westwood’s in Oxford ) I had the Mission 774 arm from my previous turntable fitted.
An Entre MC was fitted at the same time.

The Linn had the red on/off switch when I purchased it.
A Valhalla board was installed some time later.

Apart from a belt ( or two ) and lubrication it hadn’t been touched until the recent service.
I did buy some new lid hinges at some point.

The only cartridge change was to a rebuilt Denon 103.
( The Entre had new styli over the years and was sold on )

The LP12/774/Moving coil cartridge has suited my speakers perfectly.
Spendor BC1s can be a little ‘bass heavy’ and the above combination has worked well.

By the way, I prefer the fluted plinth...

I thought it sounded flat Bob, flat, undynamic, stodgy and it didnt track very well

Yep, I agree with that! It sounds strangely compressed dynamically, and like it throws a wool blanket over everything. I checked alignment, etc., and it's mounted correctly. And no amount of fiddling with VTF or anti-skate has helped.

I grew up in NJ, where Grado was based, and actually toured their facility, which was great. But I've never gotten the appeal of the cartridges - maybe because I've never had a table that they're suited for. Then again, I'm not sure what tables might suit them. Obviously plenty of people enjoy them, which is great, but they're just not for me. Or others!

And subject change - if anyone has a fluted afromosia plinth they want to move on, let me know. Yep, count me a fan of the fluted. Although I think the modern walnut looks amazing.

If anyone has a fluted afromosia plinth they want to move on, let me know. Yep, count me a fan of the fluted. Although I think the modern walnut looks amazing.

My last LP12 was fluted Afro but I was never all that ford of it. The plinth I have here for the one I'm about to build is fluted Walnut.

advertisement

Back