advertisement

Adventures with LP12s . . .

I can't work out your background! What is it, if you don't mine my asking?
It’s a leather rug.
kZQGtsY.jpg

I thought Goldring did make the Klyde. They didn't make the Troika though - that was Supex.

Oh yeah, you're right! Got it the wrong way round have I?

That's a lovely plinth btw.

That's actually almost identical to the one I've just bought except mine doesn't have the black lip. It's a 2018 limited edition one as Linn don't make fluted plinths as standard any more. Frankly, I don't know why. I prefer non-fluted myself but a lot of people like them.

I much prefer the fluted plinth. Classic and classy. Without the flutes the plinth looks blocky to my eye.

One person's 'classic' is another's dated. To me the flutes scream 'seventies'. They were a popular feature on many things wooden. We had TVs with fluted wooden cabinets, sideboards, you saw it on loads of things. Today, never see it.

It also breaks up the pattern on nicely figured wood. Some of the highly figured plinths look great, why cut big lines through them?

I've thought about selling this plinth any buying a non-fluted one but..I can't be bothered ;0)

If anyone has a fluted, corner braced mint plinth, I'd happily swap it for my mint Linn Maple plinth.

If anyone has a fluted, corner braced mint plinth, I'd happily swap it for my mint Linn Maple plinth.

I like the highly figured ones. I sold a friend my first LP12 which has a non-fluted Rosewood plinth. I saw it the other day, forty years old and it still looks great.

The fluted plinth is essential part of the design aesthetic and the most obvious visual clue that separates it from a TD-160! Whilst some others do look nice enough, I’d only ever consider a nice fluted natural wood finish plinth myself.

Whilst some others do look nice enough, I’d only ever consider a nice fluted natural wood finish plinth myself.

As opposed to all those unnatural wood ones? ;0)

It's a totally personal thing. Neither is right or wrong, it's just taste. Like I said, I don't understand why Linn stopped the fluted plinths as there is clearly a demand for them. The one I have was a limited edition, was expensive and could only be ordered along side other expensive parts. So typical Linn, they know fine well people want the flutes so why not just offer it as standard again? Where is the harm in that?

My plinth is black fluted. At the time my wife had a thing about getting all hifi items in black so that they "matched". When I got an Ittok that had to be black too. As you can see from my avatar, the shadows obscure the detail. Were I able to go back in time I'd risk asserting my independence.

It's a totally personal thing. Neither is right or wrong, it's just taste.

Except when discussing putting an Audio Technica MC on a Linn which is just wrong.

The AT-95 is the most musical cartridge they make.

I was thinking of the black ash, which makes it look like a mid-80s TD-160 IMHO!

I was never a fan of the black. I used to think the piano black looked great but I've gone off it. The paint always crack at the corners too. Wood just looks warmer and more natural.

advertisement

Back