advertisement

Active speakers or not?

how many passive speakers you have had? how many amps? and how many active speakers?

just want to know your past experience.

Not sure why it’s relevant but here goes!

9 different passive speakers in my main system

Around five different amps.

4 sets of active speakers

Plus I used to help out at a friends shop so have heard many more in the shop and in customers/friends houses.

Are there any alternatives to ATC in big actives? I've often wondered about the active route but always have big speakers. My ProAc Response Fours (passive) had a few ATC speaker units in them and were exc. as well as being bombproof.

Only caveat I can see is that should any amplication servicing be required, it's not a simple job of getting a power amp or whatever shipped off. My large ESL needs to go back to Quad and simply collecting all that packaging from various parts of the estate and working out how the speaker goes in is taking me quite some time.

Are there any alternatives to ATC in big actives? I've often wondered about the active route but always have big speakers. My ProAc Response Fours (passive) had a few ATC speaker units in them and were exc. as well as being bombproof.

Only caveat I can see is that should any amplication servicing be required, it's not a simple job of getting a power amp or whatever shipped off. My large ESL needs to go back to Quad and simply collecting all that packaging from various parts of the estate and working out how the speaker goes in is taking me quite some time.
I think ATC are probably the best in terms of quality drivers but D&D get rave reviews also.

The amp packs on the speakers are removable so can be serviced but their working life is very long as they are not overly stressed.

It all depends as to what dealers you have nearby, home dem is essential.

Not really about the physical size any more but the speakers’ measurements and specification, actives can be relatively compact yet still full-range in terms of FR.
Keith

Although you should have bought the passive versions as they are way better…
I have had the passive original AE1 in the past and they were great. They were replaced in my office with PMC Twenty.23s which I prefer for that little bit more bass.

However this second setup is more about appearances! So, just Auralic Altair G1 to stream to the active AE1s works well as a compromise!

Quick final question; XLR or RCA for the speaker connections?
I would estimate the distance to be about 5m - never used XLR before

I've used Sommer and Mogami from Designable in the past. They do a vintage Sommer one which is quite slim and looks decent too.

I have had the passive original AE1 in the past and they were great. They were replaced in my office with PMC Twenty.23s which I prefer for that little bit more bass.

However this second setup is more about appearances! So, just Auralic Altair G1 to stream to the active AE1s works well as a compromise!

Did you not pick up on my tongue in cheek comment Paul??

The floorstanding Buchardt A700s are a possible alternative to ATC SCM19As or '40As, along with the Dynaudio Focus 30s and 50s.

Dynaudio Focus spring to mind. I believe they digitise their analogue input, which might mean that if you are heavily invested in digital sources you may want to consider whether you want to keep an expensive DAC etc. So a bit different to the ATCs with only power amps in them.

The original AE1s were very nice with classic 32.5/HC/250. Outdone by Shahinian Super Elves/Dynavector HX 1.2 in my case.

If the Genelec small actives are anything to go by, the big ones should definitely compete with ATC.

D&D [/QUOTE
?
The amp packs on the speakers are removable so can be serviced

It all depends as to what dealers you have nearby, home dem. is essential.

That's useful. Can't say that I've ever bought speakers on any dem., let alone home dem. That's a lot of speakers in 55 years, and I've never been dissatisfied. Is there sth about ATC (or just big ATC) which makes a home dem. mandatory?

Is there sth about ATC (or just big ATC) which makes a home dem. mandatory?

I would describe the active ATCs that I have heard (50s and a couple of others but I cannot recall the model numbers) as "shockingly revealing", as they should be for studio monitoring.

My preference is for the more relaxed presentation of Meridian DSPs.

The ATCs are probably far more accurate but I can listen to the Meridians all day.

IMHO one should audition the ATCs for an extended period to be sure you can handle the truth.

Not sure why it’s relevant but here goes!

9 different passive speakers in my main system

Around five different amps.

4 sets of active speakers

Plus I used to help out at a friends shop so have heard many more in the shop and in customers/friends houses.
And in your opinion, the active are always better?

i have had 3 different active speakers. They were completely outclassed by passive speakers every time.

my opinion is not that active are worst though, just that they are always overpriced and that you can find similar performance in passives at every price braket vs active.

many new commers have been brainwashed about active vs passive, just wanted to make sure

advertisement

Back