advertisement

Active speakers or not?

Just to add to the chorus stating that having gone active a few years ago, I could never return to passives.
Fewer boxes yes, but the primary reason is far, far better music reproduction.
Haven't thought about upgrading for >5 years.

I've a pair of meridian M33s in my shed directly connected to a gustard dac via balanced leads, they sound bloody marvellous and makes up 90% of my music listening now by virtue of the fact its where I work. This set up makes so much sense to me in this space.
However in the living room my set up is integrated into a theatre set up, and I have not found a solution to that which is not super super expensive. The gustard and speakers were sub 700 squids.

Thanks everyone. I will keep looking for some actives on the second hand market to try.
I can see some M2s on ebay but I fear they are too large.
I have had passive AE1s before and I think a pair of active AE1s would be my first preference - hard to find secondhand it seems.
I will see what comes up

Thanks everyone. I will keep looking for some actives on the second hand market to try.
I can see some M2s on ebay but I fear they are too large.
I have had passive AE1s before and I think a pair of active AE1s would be my first preference - hard to find secondhand it seems.
I will see what comes up

There is a pair in classifieds Paul?

I had and enjoyed the original AE1s for about 20 years. To be honest, they were bettered by just about every stand mount I’ve had since. The Genelecs are probably the best of those. I’d be astonished if AE1 actives were better.

Am interesting comment and would you care to elaborate? As active speakers are almost always better value than power amp + speakers. There are also great cheap options out there too as well as costly ones, used too of course.

how many passive speakers you have had? how many amps? and how many active speakers?

just want to know your past experience.

Reflector Audio Bespoke P18 4x18inch OB 2500Wpc
Single men only WAV factor zero

2016-08-19-TST-Reflector-Audio-Bespoke-B18-20.JPG

2016-08-19-TST-Reflector-Audio-Bespoke-B18-16.JPG

advertisement

Back