advertisement

Accidentally bought some HMV speakers by Goodmans!!!

Just looked up my thread from 2013 'Mid 70's speaker identification' if it's of any interest
Thanks. Ive seriously read any thread or article that has any mention of vintage goodmans speakers! Which isn’t hard since there is surprisingly very little. Which is a good thing for us who know. I picked up a pair of magnum k2s for 25 quid!!

I enjoyed Mezzo 3 for some years until i had a room rejig and they didn't fit in, too nice and big to store unfortunately.. a chap from Italy begged me to ship them to him!

Thanks for that! That’s very useful to know. It would appear that we perhaps have a similar taste in sonics. Relaxed and natural is definitely something that seems to seduce me to the extent of being able to deal with other deficiencies as in these goodmans hmvs I’ve found. I’ll keep my eye out for some radfords then. Interesting to know about these below radar brands. Celef, even though Stuart Tyler was the head designer, seem to be one of these brands too. Those studio monitors were advertised for half a year before I bought them after the guy lowered his price! Crazy.

Speaking of Celefs, I owned a pair of their Monitors in the ‘70s.
Only sold them to buy a pair of Spendor BC1s.
I bought a pair recently, to refurbish, and sold them on.
The buyer was delighted.
A while ago I refurbished a pair of Radford Bookshelf speakers.
I was very surprised how good they were.
The buyer loves them.

Hello all.
A wee update.
The goodmans hmvs were in my system for a few months. They really are captivating in so many ways. Unbelievable for ten pounds. Really quite astonishing. I was in a high end audio shop and the offerings for a few grand didn’t have the same special information and seductiveness as these eBay bargains. They’ve only been put aside because I finally got round to restoring the crossovers in my big old rare Celef Studio Professional Monitors which, as the caps burn in, are sounding more and more spectacular. They really fill the room with three dimensional sound. So the restoration continues. I’ve ordered cloth to redo the grills. Does anyone know where I might find a couple of cheeky wee Celef grill badges? Hens teeth I would have thought. Perhaps I should start a new thread on this....

I can't recall Goodmans making speakers for HMV but it might have been after (or before) my time. What tweeters do they have? Are they the ones designed to be mounted from the rear of the baffle? Check the part number - DT3 or DT4? If so, I have a box of those somewhere, so if you need to replace the tweeters, let me know.
Hi Nero, do you still have those tweeters? I have recently bought a pair of Mezzo 3 and one of the tweeters is blown, it's a DT3. If you still have them I would be very interested in buying one.

i am just getting used to Goodmans tweeter and drive units in my rather quaint Naim NAM 402 not the biggest bass punch in the world but overall a very well detailed speaker

It's sometimes amazing what's out there undervalued by some.

My office system is a skip rescue Rotel amp with a pair of Sony speakers, expected nothing but shoved right into the corners in my office they sound rather good.

A friend had a passable system and blew one of the speakers; his wife did him a favour and bought a really horrible Bluetooth turntable with microscopic powered speakers.

He previously had a decent TT and amp, just needed some decent speakers which went through his wife's auction room for peanuts regularly.

Listening to those little actives was one of the saddest, funniest moments of my life!

Hi Nero, do you still have those tweeters? I have recently bought a pair of Mezzo 3 and one of the tweeters is blown, it's a DT3. If you still have them I would be very interested in buying one.

OK, I'll have a rummage in my office tomorrow and let you know. How big are the magnets on the back? Same diameter as the top plate or smaller? That should tell me the variant

Even with one tweeter not working they sound pretty good on the end of a Nait 3 in my office system. Not bad for £20!:)
I'm going to re-cap the crossover too, I'm not sure of the value of capacitance as it is glued to the casing and the label is on the side which is stuck down. I think something like 8uf

Thanks guys. I think the magnet is about the same diameter as the top plate, but at the moment the back is screwed on again, so I haven't checked. Will do so later today.
These speakers were very tatty, but the grill cloth is pretty good. I sanded them down and removed the worst of the water stains/rings etc, and applied a liberal amount of wax polish. They look pretty respectable now.

I might have to dig my hmv's out i only gave £5 for them 10 odd years ago i used them for 5 minutes to test they worked and chucked them in my garage with a view to tidying the cabinets up
Perhaps i've been missing out on something!

Mickhick...I have a spare DT3....I'll message a picture.
Hi. Do you by any chance still have that spare dt3? One of the tweeters on my Goodmans magnum k2s has gone. Nero, gent that he is, posted me two replacements, which look similar, but are a later iteration i think, and certainly with the crossover as is, they sound a bit spitty. Sounds like they arnt going low enough to meet the mids. I reckon they are supposed to be dt3s in the magnum k2s, so with any luck, would be be the perfect replacement.

advertisement

Back