advertisement

Accidentally bought some HMV speakers by Goodmans!!!

Hello all.

I wanted to share this discovery with the many who like me, had no idea. Last week A notification came in on my phone that I’d won an item on eBay. I hadn’t bid on anything so was confused. The incident must have happened while my phone was in my pocket, but what a fortunate incident this ended up being. Unsurprisingly, no one had bid on these old HMV branded speakers, I certainly wouldn’t have intentionally, so I won them for a tenner! Instead of contacting eBay to explain the unintended bid and get out of buying them, for the price, it seemed worth just taking them and seeing what they were like, especially since a quick google search led me to discover that they were actually made by goodmans for a compete vynil/radio system that HMV were selling.

My new HMV model 2406 arrived yesterday when I was out, my flatmate thankfully receiving them, so they were there to greet me coming home in the evening. After dinner, I set about cutting off the purpose made connectors for the original system off the ends of the extremely thin speaker wires, fitted banana plugs, and connected it up to an A&R Cambridge A60.

Immediate sound was pretty muddy, clarifying my lack of expectation, but very quickly, as they were reawakened after likely decades of being dormant, the sound started to declutter, and what a wonderful huge and involving soundstage started to emerge. I continued listening to them until the wee small hours, the sound wrapped all round me, with very seductive transparency in the upper mids, low treble, with things like reverb tails being much more apparent than I’ve heard on any of my current speaker collection. And so smooth too. These would appear to be keepers!

Okay, they are not tonally accurate, with fairly recessed mids, and although they have ten inch drivers, the bass is a little light and not particularly extended, although, not completely lacking. It’s there, in a ghostly way that, surprisingly for a bass player, I don’t mind, because these speakers do so much else so well.

I opened them up to have a look at the crossover and get cap values to get replacements ordered up since if they are original, they will be far out of original spec. The crossover is merely an inductor and an 8uf capacitor!! I’ve got a couple of Ansar super sounds on order as I’m dying to know if the roll off in the very upper frequencies could be due to the old faulty caps. I’m suspecting that this could just be that the tweeters are very old fashioned cone types so aren’t all that extended. What they do do is lovely though, very open and transparent.

The drivers themselves look to be very high quality with cast baskets and the tweeter is completely sealed at the back to stop the main driver interfering with it.

As you can tell, I’m enjoying these a lot. They’re so much fun to listen to, regardless of their limitations. I’m thinking that I’ll replace the internal extremely thing wire with some decent stuff, and put terminals on the back, so that I can run decent cable from the amp to them. This might help with the lower frequencies a bit.

As for the high frequency extension, if the Ansar capacitors, chosen because of their bright sound, don’t improve the upper extension at all, I’m wondering if it might be possible to add good more modern dome tweeters to these, with a very high crossover point from the original tweeters. I think I should perhaps put that to the DIY forum, but if anyone that reads this has any informed opinions and advice I’d be interested to hear them.

Basically, if we’re possible to sort the upper extension out and couple these with the right sub, the result would probably keep me entertained for years.

Goodmans speakers were excellent way back when, as good as anything else on the market, and better than most.
I think by messing around too much you'll spoil them. they will never be "right" by modern standards, changing a tweeter to a newer one wont make it blend with the mid-bass, you could well end up with a wish-list of tick-box specification, as opposed to a musical whole. Probably worth changing the ancient cap. and thin wires, play with dampling materials in the box if you like, but thats as far as I'd go. Enjoy !

Goodmans speakers were excellent way back when, as good as anything else on the market, and better than most.
I think by messing around too much you'll spoil them. they will never be "right" by modern standards, changing a tweeter to a newer one wont make it blend with the mid-bass, you could well end up with a wish-list of tick-box specification, as opposed to a musical whole. Probably worth changing the ancient cap. and thin wires, play with dampling materials in the box if you like, but thats as far as I'd go. Enjoy !

Yes, I’m with you on the added tweeter perhaps being a step too far, UNLESS, someone who has a really good idea ab It speaker design, thinks it may be a good idea. I wasn’t suggesting replacing the tweeter, it’s doing so much so well. I just wondered if a tweeter could be added, with a very high crossover, so that it didn’t interfere with the existing tweeter, but just picked up from where the existing tweeter rolls off. just an idea to put out there and have a wee online chinwag about.

Early days, I’m awaiting delivery of the replacement caps, and I’ll certainly replace the very thin wire that was presumably fitted as a decision by the HMV guys to keep costs down. I know speaker wire generally was thinner back then, but this stuff is just unbelievably thin. Several strands per channel. Surely some decent stuff will better the sound.

Anyway, I prattle. It’s late.

Good to hear you rate the Goodmans stuff. I’ve just discovered them. Crazy how cheap they go for if they really were as good as anything else around, given how much tannoys etc of the same era go for. I’m now very curious about what some magnums might sound like if this is what these lower budget efforts sound like. They seem to be very high efficiency, which is what my little A60 amp will like. There’s a chap posted asking about speaker suggestion for his A60, so I’m going to give him the good word about the Goodmans.

Reactions: fur
I was looking at them aye. There’s a pair on eBay for 125, which If they’re as good as I think they probably are, is a steal. 40 a pair though?! Really? Wow! So you reckon 125 is too much?

Could you tel me please why the k2 iterations are the ones to go for over other magnums? There isn’t much about them online. I take it you know what they sound like?

I'm not an expert, I dont know the difference between versions, if any.
These are very old speakers, compared to newer, the bass is woolly, sound is boxy, as stand-alone items they are full and musical. I used a pair for years, a friend has them now, his musical tastes are unrefined to say the least, so it doesnt matter.
I dont think they are worth any more than £50 a pair. Theres always someone trying it on.
Ive got a much better pair of speakers as my spares, cant sell them as no-one has heard of them. Not giving them away !!

Ah right, I had that assumption about the bass being a bit woolly, but I hear they have a nice weight and punch though. These Goodmans I’ve aquired, the bass is woolly too, but as I say, they are just so “musical” and enjoyable in other ways, that I can switch off and ignore the rounder edges to the bass, the recessed lower mids etc.

So by boxy, I’m genuinely unsure of what that means. I came to gather that it means that the sound is very apparently coming from two boxes, so the imaging is poor. By that definition, the hmv speakers I have hear are the least boxy I own. Okay, you’ve probably twigged that my speaker collection isn’t particularly high end, but I have some examples of speakers that are very well thought of for their price point, tannoy revolution floorstanders, monitor audio r352, which quite a few people on here run with fairly nice amps and enjoy a lot, but I’m going to sell, some old tannoy Saturn’s in a second system, that are fun enough for what I payed and look pretty, but then I have a very rare set of celef studio professional transducers. The top of the line celefs in 1976, bought for a mere 150, sold for 360 in 1976 which is around 2400 these days! They were described in a contemporary review as being able to disappear second only to quad electrostatics. Nonsense, because these Goodmans image much more convincingly than them! So, less boxy? Or am I way off the mark with the use of boxy? Haha

So are you not going to tell what these spare speakers of yours are? I could really do with a tip for a a great VFM speaker which I’m assuming they will be if no one knows about them. I’m a full time musician with very keen ears, listening to progressive instrumental music, classical, jazz, arty well produced electronic stuff etc. Being a musician though, there’s never a lot of spare budget for hifi gear. At least I can’t justify spending a lot when I know there are some real sonic bargains out there waiting to be discovered. My band have just been signed to a major agent though, so there should be more budget available in the near future.

By the way, it’s telling that it’s only yourself that has payed any interest to this thread about Goodmans speakers. They really are under the radar. It was a studio sound engineer in Spain that put me onto the magnum k2s. He says they’re the best he’s owned!

As I have posted before, I was lucky enough a while ago to pick up some Radford speakers that use Goodmans drivers and they are very, very good. The bass is rolled off around 50hz so despite being 12" units, they are not bass monsters but they sound relaxed and natural. I like these Radford speakers a lot so it has made me reappraise Goodmans as a brand and the Magnum K2 recommendation is not the first I have come across.

You could always get an external 'super tweeter' many of which have a selectable crossover built in, I think Realistic did a budget one that doesn't go for silly money, and the Tannoy ST-50's can be picked up for not a lot more.

As I have posted before, I was lucky enough a while ago to pick up some Radford speakers that use Goodmans drivers and they are very, very good. The bass is rolled off around 50hz so despite being 12" units, they are not bass monsters but they sound relaxed and natural. I like these Radford speakers a lot so it has made me reappraise Goodmans as a brand and the Magnum K2 recommendation is not the first I have come across.

Thanks for that! That’s very useful to know. It would appear that we perhaps have a similar taste in sonics. Relaxed and natural is definitely something that seems to seduce me to the extent of being able to deal with other deficiencies as in these goodmans hmvs I’ve found. I’ll keep my eye out for some radfords then. Interesting to know about these below radar brands. Celef, even though Stuart Tyler was the head designer, seem to be one of these brands too. Those studio monitors were advertised for half a year before I bought them after the guy lowered his price! Crazy.

You could always get an external 'super tweeter' many of which have a selectable crossover built in, I think Realistic did a budget one that doesn't go for silly money, and the Tannoy ST-50's can be picked up for not a lot more.
Thanks a lot! Yes, I was wondering about external supertweeters. I had the I,pression though that they were for inaudibly high frequencies, affecting more the harmonic resolution of the whole. I’ll look into those realistic sand tannoys, thanks.

I’m still curious about how easy it would be to add a tweeter to the cabinet with a really high crossover point. Given the crossover in the speakers is already so simple, I thought that perhaps a line could be taken from that, with a capacitor going through it. But I’m naive about these things so curious to know how it might be done.

good story. I bought a pair of Hacker LS500's from my nephew for a tenner. Looking inside, I think I remember them having 8 inch bass, 3 or 4inch midrange and cone tweeters, all Goodmans, with just a single capacitor to each of the latter two units. Boxes are made from chipboard, and the back is screwed (much loved by Tony L). The back shows a name plate, and a small diameter hole for the leads. Taking off the back, I noticed one was on upsidedown, and I could reverse it, and all the screw holes fitted! Box filled with polyurethane foam.
They sound very good compared to my Usher floorstanders, the Hackers being a little more forward
I have bought replacement caps (polyprop) and I will listen to the result to decide which I prefer.

I think I like paper coned drive units. My Ushers have twin paper/carbon fibre pulp cones, and the 'speakers I'm developing have just paper cones (Elac). Never got on with quacky Bextrene (KEF B110).

Last edited:
Thanks for that! That’s very useful to know. It would appear that we perhaps have a similar taste in sonics. Relaxed and natural is definitely something that seems to seduce me to the extent of being able to deal with other deficiencies as in these goodmans hmvs I’ve found. I’ll keep my eye out for some radfords then. Interesting to know about these below radar brands. Celef, even though Stuart Tyler was the head designer, seem to be one of these brands too. Those studio monitors were advertised for half a year before I bought them after the guy lowered his price! Crazy.

My Radfords are M90's. I found this advert for another pair and it gives you an idea of what they look like and the attention to detail that Radford went to when the produced these speakers. The cabinets are made of ply and the 12" unit sits in a separate section from the other drivers. The crossover is a Radford design and is probably part of the reason they sound so good.

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo7.php?prod_title=Radford_M90&p=&prod_id=70984&q=radford m90&offset=

Someone on ebay has some Goodmans 12" units as used b Radford in the M90 and it gives you some idea of how chunky that 12" driver is:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=352775470845

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a pair of these sat in my garage that i gave £5 for some years ago now.
Iirc the tweeters in mine are Goodmans dt2 and 2 X 8" drivers offset..been a while since i opened them up.
I have an A60 as well..may be a good excuse to dig them out and hook them up.

I bought a pair of Goodmans Ministers a while ago, mainly for nostalgic reasons, as they were my first ‘proper’
speakers.
After a tidy up and new capacitors, I set them up using an expensive Sony CD player and a Quad 34/303.
What a surprise!
OK, my little Harbeths are superior but the Goodmans didn’t disgrace themselves.
They were a joy to listen to, in a lovely non-fatiguing way.
I did eventually sell them, mainly for reasons of space.
If I could put my original system together ( Connoisseur BD1 / Goldring 850 / GL75 arm into a Sony TA1010 ) I wonder
what the Ministers would sound like...

I can't recall Goodmans making speakers for HMV but it might have been after (or before) my time. What tweeters do they have? Are they the ones designed to be mounted from the rear of the baffle? Check the part number - DT3 or DT4? If so, I have a box of those somewhere, so if you need to replace the tweeters, let me know.

Old Goodmans speakers are always a lot of fun - big and bouncy comes to mind

I can't recall Goodmans making speakers for HMV but it might have been after (or before) my time. What tweeters do they have? Are they the ones designed to be mounted from the rear of the baffle? Check the part number - DT3 or DT4? If so, I have a box of those somewhere, so if you need to replace the tweeters, let me know.

Old Goodmans speakers are always a lot of fun - big and bouncy comes to mind
Thanks. That's really handy to know and a kind offer. The tweeters are definitely working and there's a lot of energy and detail in the high frequencies and a lovely exciting dynamic kind of way. It's just that they are just a little rolled off sounding, like they don't extend as high as most speakers. Does that sound likely?

Could be they're a bit gummed up with the stuff they put on the domes. Assuming they're domes?

Could be they're a bit gummed up with the stuff they put on the domes. Assuming they're domes?
They aren’t domes is the thing. They’re paper cones. I reckon that they’re exactly the same drivers as used for minds on the Goodmans Magnums!
There’s definitely plenty of energy and detail in the treble, quite bright really, but just rolled off detention wise. They’re still extremely listenable. If I added tweeters to these they would be very very nice speakers indeed. I’ve got a pair of magnum k2s waiting for me to buck up though.

advertisement

Back