advertisement

Absolute Polarity - Anyone else can hear a significant difference?

You don't need an extra stage to invert the signal if your input stage is differential to start with. Allen Wright worked out a neat way to eliminate any extra switching as well with his differential Realtime Preamplifier - double up the choices on your source selector switch to include a choice of polarities for each source.

Indeed. I took the simplistic view thinking that the vast majority on here wouldn't be using a differential amplifier. I heard a few of Allen's designs over the years, including at a few Hi-Fi Shows. Let's just say the sound wasn't for me.

Having had both CDPs and DACs that can invert at the touch of a button, I gave up trying - even within the same track of electronica music for instance, playing with phase improves some areas, but not others. I don’t think absolute phase is really considered in the studio when mixing multiple sources. All IMHO opinion of course.

Having had both CDPs and DACs that can invert at the touch of a button, I gave up trying - even within the same track of electronica music for instance, playing with phase improves some areas, but not others. I don’t think absolute phase is really considered in the studio when mixing multiple sources. All IMHO opinion of course.

I don't listen to electronic music but with classical I find that in almost all recordings there's a "right" polarity.

I don't listen to electronic music but with classical I find that in almost all recordings there's a "right" polarity.

Have you ever tried to go the extra step and see if your preference corresponds to a positive or negative initial transient, i.e. really study a drum hit or whatever in a waveform editor?

PS Assuming your system is in absolute phase is a minefield in itself. I have absolutely no idea with either of mine. Honestly not a clue. I know the Quad 303 phase inverts (correct phase in a Quad system with a Quad pre which also inverts). I have no idea about the Verdier pre, my DPA DAC etc. Same upstairs; I’ve no idea about the Marantz SACD and Leak amps. The passive pre will obviously be correct, and I guess the LS3/5As phase invert the tweeter as most box speakers seem to in order to attain the best compromise across the crossover region.

I think I once had a Cyrus CD player with a phase button on its remote. Couldn’t hear any difference either way at the time, but then I didn’t know what to listen out for.

Have you ever tried to go the extra step and see if your preference corresponds to a positive or negative initial transient, i.e. really study a drum hit or whatever in a waveform editor?

PS Assuming your system is in absolute phase is a minefield in itself. I have absolutely no idea with either of mine. Honestly not a clue. I know the Quad 303 phase inverts (correct phase in a Quad system with a Quad pre which also inverts). I have no idea about the Verdier pre, my DPA DAC etc. Same upstairs; I’ve no idea about the Marantz SACD and Leak amps. The passive pre will obviously be correct, and I guess the LS3/5As phase invert the tweeter as most box speakers seem to in order to attain the best compromise across the crossover region.

Are you able to invert the polarity of your plugs?

If I have some free time I’ll install Audacity this weekend and have a look.

I think there are a lot of aspects of music playback that may not necessarily be easily audible when changed in isolation, but in aggregate with a host of other barely audible factors may add up to more realistic reproduction.

Are you able to invert the polarity of your plugs?

Yes, and I have the main system wired red to black as I know for sure the 303 inverts. I did play about years ago, I found it impossible to form a consistent opinion. The majority of my music collection is rock, jazz, electronica etc, there is no ‘absolute phase’ with this sort of stuff.

Yes, and I have the main system wired red to black as I know for sure the 303 inverts. I did play about years ago, I found it impossible to form a consistent opinion. The majority of my music collection is rock, jazz, electronica etc, there is no ‘absolute phase’ with this sort of stuff.

That makes sense to me. With jazz and rock I find the differences more dificult to determine, particularly with the latter, also when there are audible differences I often strugle to determine which sounds more "correct"...

The majority of my music collection is rock, jazz, electronica etc, there is no ‘absolute phase’ with this sort of stuff.

Agree with this. Though I would also point out that lots of classical recordings have outriggers and spot mics supplementing the main stereo pair - here's a Decca channel list from 1971.

Mehta-Planets1971ptEd2.jpg

28441841519_bd00c493dd_b.jpg

Here’s an interesting one. It is a 1978 Yamaha SC1200 and it has three little pickup-selecting switches, each one selects between ‘in phase’/‘off’/‘reversed phase’. This is obviously to give a remarkably wide range of combinations and sounds, but it shows how arbitrary a lot of this discussion is. The three oscillator Moog Voyager synth sitting in the other room is obviously vastly more complex again. Phase accurate to what?

PS I think my grand piano example upthread is actually the best. I understand how a piano works. Everyone does. I understand how microphones work. I have no idea how you’d frame an absolute phase argument in regard to that instrument. Genuinely not a clue. Obviously you’d want any mics used to be in phase with one another, and that may involve positioning as well as just electrical testing, but when one starts considering how the air is being energised by this instrument it get crazy complex real fast. I’d go as far as suggesting there is no absolute phase in this situation.

I didn't pass the blind test. Doesn't mean others might. One thing I learnt from nearly 50 years in HiFi is that different people can hear rather differently. After all, we are mere animals.

This thread is almost identical to the "which record company used what EQ when the record was cut" debate. The reality is that without any written evidence it is just pure speculation, or personal preference what EQ you prefer, or in this case, what polarity you prefer the sound of. As has been said earlier "life is too short to worry about such things"...

Having a look with Audacity at "Blackstar" and it looks like mixed polarity in that track. Bowie was never an audiophile, digital clipping too.

This thread is almost identical to the "which record company used what EQ when the record was cut" debate. The reality is that without any written evidence it is just pure speculation, or personal preference what EQ you prefer, or in this case, what polarity you prefer the sound of. As has been said earlier "life is too short to worry about such things"...

For some on the forum it seems arguing about measurement, tests and specifications of audio equipment IS their life.

Absolute phase matters only if the ship is in an “out phase” condition as it were. If that happens, reverse field will achieve closure, but — and this is very important — only if M Seven factor is maintained.

Mr Spock and Scotty illustrate this in a real-world scenario. Note: This is not hypothetical.

Joe

Reactions: GT

Back in the day some companies deliberately recorded classical 180 out of phase because it added depth. Most non classical music is in phase apart from Miles Columbia and some Mike Westbrook. This with LPs of the time, nothing to do with CDs.

Phase is more apparent with blown instruments rather than violins, drums etc.

advertisement

Back