advertisement

A user's guide to John Zorn

Yeah, well..I was talking about the CD Naked City, which I got for 5€ second hand.
Personally I would not aim for getting the complete Naked City, simply as I like hearing 1 CD every once in a while,
but I would not like to listen to like 5 or more in a row..

So if I simply pick the next offer from the Naked City series after like another 2 or 3 years,
then another 5€ is not likely to pose a great thread onto my financial situation..

I'm by no means a completist & doing it this way is a) affordable and b) I can enjoy the journey and can stop at any point when I feel I've had enough ?

I think getting the next isolated follow up CD to the 'Naked City' CD at , say discogs should not be difficult ?
I think if you're fighting over some collectors item with other dedicated Zorn fans that'll well become quite expensive, whereas if you're just after the music,,,I think that should be possible ?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
If the prices are kind of nuts, I'll happily pass and just go on discovering further on Ians list in the first post.
I'm sure there are a lot more nice things to discover..

For me, with artists like Zorn with an extensive and diverse output, Qobuz really shows its value as there's a stack of albums there and I can dip in as I please.

I've been playing Bar Kokhba: Lucifer: Book Of Angels Volume 10 all weekend. I'm not sure how to classify it but AllMusic says "evocative Sephardic melodies are accented by a multitude of global traditions, including Latin rhythms, surf guitar and moody exotica" which is probably about right!

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/lucife...0-john-zorn-tzadik-review-by-troy-collins.php

Highly recommended. And like so many Tzadik releases beautifully recorded.

Agree - It's a great record

Have you hear the Circle Maker/ Issachar double CD? - Circle Maker has the same players working with an earlier Masada Book, the other half is a trio of Feldman, Friedlander and Cohen. It's one of my all time favourites.

Here a taster

John Zorn - tevel - YouTube

Kevin

Both Circle Maker and Bar Kokhba seem to be companion albums. One of the early Zorn purchases that opened the flood gates for me...

Lucifer and The first Dreamers CDs were waiting in the garage when we returned from walking the dog and the boys this morning. Now enjoying them with a glass of Black Stump through the titchy audience monitors I bought here recently. They are both superb. Life in Tier 4 could be a lot worse.

Due to public demand (well, Tony L asked for it anyway), here’s a sort-of introduction to John Zorn. Rather than waffle on about him at great length, I decided to pick 10 records I particularly like (hence missing out another 20 I also really like, but what the hell), and only waffle about them a little bit. Be aware, however, that this only touches on the complexity and diversity of Zorn’s output, which ranges from death-metal to cartoon music via film soundtracks, free improv, electronica, children’s music, chamber music, and, with his most recent release, Rituals, even encompasses opera. It’s only a matter of time before he starts writing some kind of symphony. My feeling is that in 100 years time Zorn will be regarded as not only a great improviser and collaborator, but also as one of the most important of all American composers, but the sheer quantity and variety of his recorded work may sometimes seem daunting. Rather than add to the “where the hell do I start” feeling, here’s a simple list of 10 killer Zorn albums. All of these apart from Spy Vs Spy and Harras are available on Zorn’s Tzadik label, at http://www.tzadik.com/ which also releases lots of brilliant stuff by other people, and has the estimable objective of keeping all of its catalogue in print for eternity, regardless of its commercial viability. The Naked City records, The Big Gundown, and Spy Vs Spy were all available on vinyl on their original release, the others are CD only.

The Big Gundown (1985)

Zorn’s first major release, an album of Ennio Morricone film music recorded with around 40 musicians from the New York downtown improv and free music scene, including many stellar musicians who went on to become regular Zorn collaborators: Joey Baron, Cyro Baptista, Tim Berne, Mark Feldman, Anton Fier, Fred Frith, Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, Mike Patton, Robert Quine, et al.

Morricone summed it up well when he wrote, “Many people have done versions of my pieces, but no one has done them like this”. Too right. The first showcase for Zorn’s predilection for jump-cutting from style to style in rapid succession, he creates a complex multilayered soundscape out of which a mammoth guitar riff, or a bar or two of virtuosic sax playing, or a funky drum signature, will emerge for a few seconds, only to immediately transform itself into something entirely different. This is a technique Zorn would perfect with his later group, Naked City.

Spy Vs Spy (1988)

A small group record, two saxes (Zorn and Tim Berne), two drummers (Joey Baron and Michael Vatcher), one bass player (Mark Dresser), play the music of Ornette Coleman. Zorn was heavily influenced by hardcore metal at this point, a music he’s never lost his taste for, and he plays Ornette incredibly fast and aggressively, with virtually every piece on this record clocking in at under two minutes. Sonically murky and and stylistically single-minded and repetitive (quite deliberately so), probably not everyone’s first choice but an essential document nevertheless.

Naked City (1989) / Radio (1991)

The first and fourth of 7 Naked City studio albums, and one live album, all of the studio albums have recently been reissued in a single remastered box on 5 CDs, and the live album, recorded at the Knitting Factory in NYC, is also available from Tzadik. A small group which featured during its four year history some or all of Zorn, Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, Joey Baron, Wayne Horvitz, and, on screaming vocals, Mike Patton (of Faith No More) and, best of all, Yamatsuka Eye (of Boredoms).

Zorn: “The Naked City project (which, compared to the completely improvised ones, is based on composition) was to see how many kinds of music can be made with the same ensemble, to write very different things for the same group.” An incredibly diverse listening experience, which takes the jump-cut technique of The Big Gundown to its logical conclusion, resulting in a series of records which continuously teeter on the edge of chaos without ever falling apart. In one 2 minute track, the group will often play anything up to a dozen different musical styles, sometimes simultaneously. Amazingly, it works. Additionally, each record is liberally sprinkled with what Zorn describes as “hardcore miniatures”, short bursts of incredibly dense noise, some of the noisiest noise in the history of noise, but also some of the most exhilarating. By the time of the last studio record, Absinthe, the group were making beautiful ambient music, but around the same time they were also recording Leng Tch’e, a 30-minute piece of extremely potent hardcore guitar noise. I know of no other group in the history of recorded music who played so many different things, so well, in such a short time span. These two records are great ways to dive into the Naked City experience, but I can’t really think of any good reason not to own all the others as well.

The Bribe (1986)

A spin-off project from Zorn’s Spillane album, a hard-boiled film noir composition, a soundtrack to a non-existent film, almost Naked City-lite, but extremely good fun to listen to, more so than Spillane itself. Zorn is one of the most cinematic of musicians anyway, and the occasions when he scores music either for a real film or for one he’s invented in his head generally produce memorable results. This is quite an easy listening experience by the standards of some of Zorn’s music, and may be a good place for the uncertain to start.

Harras (1996)

A live trio record with Derek Bailey on guitar, William Parker on bass, and Zorn on alto sax. Bailey and Zorn are long-time collaborators, Zorn was a regular participant in Bailey’s Company Weeks of free improv in London in the 80s. One thing both Bailey and Zorn share is a commitment to small-group free improvisation, and they play together brilliantly, so much so that Parker, who’s usually a commanding presence on any record he’s a part of, is almost completely sidelined here. Proves, to anyone who doubted, that Zorn is a brilliant improviser on alto, and deeply indebted to the free jazz tradition, even if it’s an idiom he rarely explores so straightforwardly as he does here. A truly masterful record, one of the finest documents of free improv I know. As much Bailey’s record as it is Zorn’s, Bailey’s angular, argumentative style complements Zorn’s alto perfectly. Brilliant stuff.

Masada, Live in Middelheim (1999)

Masada has been a regular working group since 1993, releasing 7 live albums and about 10 studio records, and amassing an enormous catalogue of around 200 songs. The group is a pretty traditional jazz line-up, Zorn on alto, Dave Douglas on trumpet, Joey Baron on drums, and Greg Cohen on bass, and its two major influences appear to be Ornette Coleman and klezmer, the traditional Jewish folk music form, a conjunction of styles which works superbly. Zorn and Douglas’s muscular, very brassy brass breaks out at regular intervals into passages of beautiful, mournful, bluesy music which is both recognisably jazz and recognisably klezmer, while Cohen and Baron maintain an identifiably jazz rhythm section.

This recording was made after the group had had a 6 month layoff and came together, without rehearsal, for a concert recorded for Belgian radio, and is astonishing from start to finish. It opens with a blast of amazing kinetic energy with the definitive version of “Nevuah” and includes a version of “Ne’eman”, one of the most beautiful of all Masada’s tunes, which is simply gorgeous. I would strongly recommend all of Masada’s live recordings (the studio albums are less essential, this is a group which really flies in performance in a way it doesn’t in the studio), but this is the pick of the bunch.

If you want to see how hard-wrought this music is, get hold of the DVD of Masada Live At Tonic, 1999, watching the sheer physicality of the group playing is an instructive experience. The music’s great too.

The Circle Maker (1998)

2 CD collection of Masada tunes rearranged by Zorn (who doesn’t play on the record) as chamber music, featuring guitar, cello, violin, drums, and bass. A record which is, purely and simply, beautiful, revealing the haunting, majestic tunes at the root of the Masada project. A record which almost anybody can like, a long way from some of his more extreme experiments. Other rearrangements of Masada tunes can be found on the equally lovely Bar Kokhba (which adds trumpet, piano, and clarinet to the instrumentation of The Circle Maker), Masada Guitars (solo guitar, featuring Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, and Tim Sparks), Voices in the Wilderness (a goody-bag of wildly different interpretations by around 20 different groups, a great record), The Masada String Trio (fabulous) and The Unknown Masada and Masada Recital (neither of which I’ve heard yet).

Electric Masada (2004)

Recorded live at Tonic, NYC, as part of a marathon series of concerts by endless combinations of Zorn groups past and present held in September 2003 to celebrate Zorn’s 50th birthday, 10 of which were released on CD last year, this is Masada reimagined as a completely deranged, extremely loud mutant jazz-rock-fusion group, and is a complete hoot from start to finish. Less hardcore-influenced and more funky than Naked City, but still with a recognisably klezmer core, a group that completely blew my head off when I saw them live in London a year or so ago. Fantastically entertaining, they made me laugh out loud with their audacity almost as much as Naked City did. Potentially another killer group, this is, so far, the only recorded example of their work.

Songs From The Hermetic Theatre (2001)

An oddity, this, a mostly solo record of electronic music, but in the absence of Zorn making a record with The Aphex Twin (which I suspect would be the greatest record ever made by anyone, ever) this will have to do. Anyone can make bad electronic music, but Zorn brings a discipline and a compositional eye to the process which results in a record which genuinely seems to do things I’ve not heard before, a rarity in this genre. Not an essential record by any means, but one I play a lot.

-- Ian
I love Zorn. For me, his greatest album is Spillane.
Albert Collins and John Zorn, Bill Frisell, Bobby Previte, Big John Patton, Wayne Hovitz, et al.

image2160×1620 141 KB

Albert is playing and singing his ass off, obviously having a great time with this crazy gang.

Perhaps because it has substance..
In review I have to say I did not contribute to much substance,
but love coming back to here, grab another album and give my braincells something to bite on
until I'm ready for the next dose.

To me a very special thread.
In 20yrs I see myself saying with trembling hands: 'they don't make threads like this no more..'
And if I'm honest, for the most part not even today.

I’ve been looking for a copy of The Complete Naked City at a good price for a while. Last year I was in Manchester and went into King Bee to try my luck. “Naked City...” the owner frowned “...that’s John Zorn, isn’t it?” I said he was correct. Then he went online to take a look and winced at the prices. “I see your problem,” he said. Then he read the description. “Bloody hell, I bet that’s tough going!” he laughed.
Since this thread has resurfaced I’ll mention that I found an as new one on eBay last year and it cost me £26 (I’ve just checked, couldn’t believe it was that low.) I think I might have bid £60 or so in the last few seconds, but no-one else was interested. Possibly because the word ‘Complete’ wasn’t in the title of the listing.

advertisement

Back