advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Twin Peaks: the Return on Now TV. By turns baffling, boring and brilliant, but mostly the latter.

You forgot "hilarious" and "terrifying" (often simultaneously). It's a masterpiece. Episode eight blew my mind and the last episode haunted me for weeks afterwards. The only downside is that every other TV programme now seems dull and unambitious in comparison.

Some credible rumours this week that there will be a fourth season. I have mixed feelings about that, given the perfection of The Return but, ultimately, I trust Lynch to get it right.

Yeah, that sequence in episode eight blew my mind. And as you say, normal programmes seem dull and unambitious by comparison. Thankfully, there is life beyond Twin Peaks 3, but it takes a while before anything else seems worth the effort of watching.

You forgot "hilarious" and "terrifying" (often simultaneously).

Yep, those too. There was Andy and Lucy's sweetly banal armchair purchase; Gordon, Diane and co silently smoking in a doorway; Gordon's fancy lady; the sweeping scene; everything Hawk; everything Candy; Audrey's dance; the wonder of Agent Cooper's eventual emergence. But let's not mention the phrase 'Got a light'.

I thought Shadow of the moon on Netflix was pretty good and not what it at first appeared to be on first glance. Boyd Holbrook (Dexter) is excellent.

It looks very good too and the historical scenes very reminiscent of some of Scorsese's '70s/'80s work. Considering it's low budget, it offers a lot visually.

It appears to have quite annoyed the Trumpians/NRA/Breitbart/Tea party too.

Stephen

I've got Netflix and love old Classic films from the 50s through to the 80s. Hitchcocks, War films, Westerns, Musicals etc etc. These seem almost impossible to browse for. There seems to be no browsable category that covers any of them, yet it sometimes turns out they are available if you search for one by name or they may turn up as a recommendation when you've watched something else.

Can anyone help me locate this sort of film genre more easily?

I've got Netflix and love old Classic films from the 50s through to the 80s. Hitchcocks, War films, Westerns, Musicals etc etc. These seem almost impossible to browse for. There seems to be no browsable category that covers any of them, yet it sometimes turns out they are available if you search for one by name or they may turn up as a recommendation when you've watched something else.

Can anyone help me locate this sort of film genre more easily?

These codes may help:-

https://www.zmonline.com/the-latest...-that-unlock-tons-of-hidden-movies-and-shows/

Mick

Undone, on Amazon Prime, looks interesting. I’ve watched the first two episodes and will watch more. It’s an sf drama, and looks animated, although I suspect It’s been rotoscoped* from live footage.

(*or the CGI equivalent).

House on haunted hill (series) on Netflix is rather good. Not a much of a horror fan, but this is more like the book. A psychological horror. It’s also extremely sad, but the acting is superlative.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back