advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weirdly I bought a box set for some friends in France. They live in Lyon.

I think Engrenages may be on Canal Plus over there.
I think you're right as that's one of the channels I can't get in my flat. In fact, flipping through the channels (100+) I wonder where any of the good TV in France is. All I see is endless politics and current affairs, studio-bound game shows, crappy sitcoms and repeats of old US TV. It's the same every day, all the time as far as I can see.

Yes, I’ve been watching @Swamp Thing on Amazon, and pleased to see him posting on pfm. I think I’ve watched seven of the ten episodes now.

Much to my surprise there is a new series of Mr Robot too, but I’ll finish Swamp Thing before getting to that.

Watched Swamp Thing but was disappointed eventually by the kip of his suit/makeup, really wild and 'of the swamp' sadly morphed into the Grinch.

On Netflix I'm really enjoying Raising Dion-a cute little black kid with mega super powers, whats not to like?

Just finished Twin Peaks: the Return on Now TV. By turns baffling, boring and brilliant, but mostly the latter.
I'm really enjoying this - we haven't got Sky so I pulled the trigger on the box set. Looking forward to episode 8.

Just watched Echo of the Canyon on Netflix, a look at the origins of the folk/rock music scene in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon in the mid 1960s, and featuring The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, and The Mamas and the Papas. Very enjoyable, with lots of great music and interviews.

I thought The King was excellent. No idea how historically accurate it was as history wasn't my best subject at school.

Also really enjoyed the third season of Atypical.

Last edited:
The King was an excellent historical drama, with a little sex and lots of violence. Agencourt as mud wrestling was quite a spectacle. Production values were excellent, period settings, costumes, armor and weapons, all just about perfect. Was impressed when they included a little drainage ditch at an inn gateway, complete with a little plank bridging it. Perfect medievality! But the moody, philosophical Henry owns his movie. I don't believe the real Henry was such a groovy millennial, so here we blow the historicality thing, but he is self- consistent, seriously engaging, and basically so fascinating a character that it's OK. Great TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back