advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else finding the whole idea of Boris Johnson lecturing the BBC on the ins and outs of probity and ethics in journalism just too surreal? The hubris involved is staggering.

Lot's of folk will buy it. In tele-sales parlance, they are already on the suckers list.

Is anyone else finding the whole idea of Boris Johnson lecturing the BBC on the ins and outs of probity and ethics in journalism just too surreal? The hubris involved is staggering.

Indeed. A “journalist” who got sacked for lying, then travelled the country in a big red lie bus designed for lying, and later found his lies as PM to be in breach of national, constitutional and international law, and even lied directly to the Queen.

Boris-trousers-on-fire-small.jpg

Indeed. A “journalist” who got sacked for lying, then travelled the country in a big red lie bus designed for lying, and later found his lies as PM to be in breach of national, constitutional and international law, and even lied directly to the Queen.
Good one sentence resume.

I'm more surprised that such a fat, lazy git can jump so fast onto a moving Bandwagon.

The problem is that Johnson is submerged in lies and folk have become inured to his lying. It takes a whopper to get anyone mildly interested now. The lies have coalesced into a great turd of untruths, occasionally studded with uplifting yet fictitious slogans: levelling up, taking back control, bridge to Ireland, ‘I firmly believe our best years are still ahead of us’.

Last edited:
The media are starting to get in a tizz about Cummings' upcoming testimony. Of course, we all know that he's the bad guy, so the by-product is that Johnson will come out of this smelling of roses, regardless of what incompetence and lying is revealed.

Unless you are (in no particular order) his wife, his Editor, his Party Leader, the auditors for London, the Fishermen, the Farmers, Northern Ireland, family of the many avoidable COVID casualties, a health worker or in need of social care - Boris's toxic relationship with the truth is unlikly to have affected you directly - yet.

His ability to avoid scrutiny and tell those in front of him at any given time what they want to hear just to get him past the next problem, has yet to do enough damage it seems.

The media are starting to get in a tizz about Cummings' upcoming testimony. Of course, we all know that he's the bad guy, so the by-product is that Johnson will come out of this smelling of roses, regardless of what incompetence and lying is revealed.
Cummings won’t pull his punches in front of the Committee. Herd mass casualties as government policy.

It depends what Cummings actually has. If it's nothing more than reported speech, meh. Even if it's his own notes of what was said, verbatim, at various meetings. It will only matter if he's got something official, in writing, which shows Boris as endorsing a 'herd immunity' policy, with the implied acceptance of 100,000s of deaths.

Boris benefits from a rabid print media owned by foreign nationals, and bbc journalism beaten into submission by Blair over the sexed up dossier. Since that poor doctor committed suicide (maybe) Investigative journalism has died, bbc no more than lickspittle appointees happy to repeat government propaganda.
It’s reportage not journalism.

Dear British public,

I would like to apologise if I have inadvertently given the impression that Mr. Cummings is a genius political strategist, whose advice is invaluable, indeed totally necessary in the absence of any strategy of my own. It was essential that I stood behind his absurd breaking of our own COVID rules because the British people were suffering enough without being deprived of Mr. Cummings's enlightened stewardship at a crucial time in my government's, I mean our country's history.

I regret to report that it has been brought to my attention that Mr. Cummings is in fact an unspeakable bounder who on no account should be believed in anything he is about to say. The man is a wrong'un and I always suspected it. In future, when I require advice on misleading the HoC, the Queen or the British people, you can be reassured I will be looking elsewhere.

Love and kisses, Bojo.

Dear British public,

I would like to apologise if I have inadvertently given the impression that Mr. Cummings is a genius political strategist, whose advice is invaluable, indeed totally necessary in the absence of any strategy of my own. It was essential that I stood behind his absurd breaking of our own COVID rules because the British people were suffering enough without being deprived of Mr. Cummings's enlightened stewardship at a crucial time in my government's, I mean our country's history.

I regret to report that it has been brought to my attention that Mr. Cummings is in fact an unspeakable bounder who on no account should be believed in anything he is about to say. The man is a wrong'un and I always suspected it. In future, when I require advice on misleading the HoC, the Queen or the British people, you can be reassured I will be looking elsewhere.

Love and kisses, Bojo.
They’re made for each other. Cant wait to hear what Wednesday brings for the Lennon and McCartney of right wing sh*te.

That loony lefty Max Hastings and Johnson's need to surround himself with lightweights.

"People like me, who deplore the prime minister, nonetheless cannot dispute that he has remade British politics. This is an achievement that ensures his place in the history books, although it remains to be seen whether he winds up nudging his idol Winston Churchill, or instead Lord North.

The new party’s mastery derives from the prime minister’s personal popularity, rejection of Europe, a willingness to embrace any other policy that pleases a quorum of voters, and the brutal suppression of dissent. Even when the government incurs public wrath, as it has done by the chaos of its foreign holiday guidance, anger attaches to ministers rather than to their leader.

This evokes the wartime German catchphrase in the face of disaster: “If only the Fuhrer knew!” It explains Johnson’s stubbornness in indulging on his front bench proven inadequates and rogues. They serve as lightning conductors for failure; emphasise his own stature by their lack of political inches; rely for their bread upon his patronage. It is hard to imagine Gavin Williamson or Robert Jenrick, to name but two, reaching a shortlist for town dogcatcher if they lost their jobs.

As long as the pandemic persists, which seems likely to be many moons yet, so will the invisibility of other issues and of lesser politicians. Johnson’s licence to address the nation at will, without facing tough scrutiny from a shamefully tame media that defers to the national emergency, confers a huge advantage upon him. He has borrowed from the Trump playbook a contempt for rules and precedents: if he has the power to adopt a course, to promote a favourite or ignore a hostile regulatory verdict, he uses it, judging that his base does not care.

I wrote earlier this year that all politics has become vaccine politics. We remain so preoccupied with personal circumstances that our capacity to engage with other issues is slight."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fe2f5930-bc03-11eb-a904-b6ed9daa84aa

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back