advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a problem with Ohnson going for ride on his bike that far from home except
Saturdays Daily Mail front page read

BORIS : YOU MUST STAY AT HOME

As usual contradiction, say no more.
Johnson himself told us to stay at home ffs.

If two women during 5 miles from their home for a walk are surrounded by police, intimidated and fined, how is it ok to drive 7 miles for a bike ride? What damage does showing such contempt for his own rules do to the wider push for compliance?

If two women during 5 miles from their home for a walk are surrounded by police, intimidated and fined, how is it ok to drive 7 miles for a bike ride? What damage does showing such contempt for his own rules do to the wider push for compliance?
Presumably his police minders thought it was OK? Or maybe they just keep quiet and do what he tells them? :rolleyes:

PSB and Ks, no problem with your counterpoints. I’m speculating like everyone else. I saw another scaremongering headline an hour or so, 85,000 excess deaths in 2020. Taking flu as an analogy, the Independent wrote in Nov I think it was that lack of flu jabs the previous winter caused 55,000 excess deaths, same profile of those succumbing presumably ie. old and vulnerable. Except flu would not have been stated as the cause or dies with flu within 28 days where a heart attack or other major symptom were recorded. So, if measured like COVID that number would be considerably higher.

In other words, is it really worse than flu for most of us, do we need proper lockdown? The media and medical staff given a voice continuously say so but I’m genuinely scratching my head on whether most of us should going about ordinary lives. Meanwhile I’m obeying the rules and have done so since the beginning and will take the jab when available.

And he did get a lift, didn’t he? That they won’t deny this is pretty conclusive.

One rule for them as usual.

Stephen

And he did get a lift, didn’t he? That they won’t deny this is pretty conclusive.

One rule for them as usual.

Stephen
Yes. If Johnson had ridden his bike the 7 miles to the Olympic Park, the govt would’ve said so by now.

The hypocrisy is rank, but the danger of the government telling people to follow the rules and to stay at home while the government itself bends the rules and actually breaks them, is that infection will continue to spread.

Patel said today that one person breaking the rules is a danger to everyone. By this government’s own definition, Johnson is a danger to everyone else.

He should be impeached.

It’s around 20x more infectious than flu, and around 20x more fatal, so ask yourself: do I feel lucky? Well, do you?
I’m not obese or diabetic, old or have underlying conditions so yes I do, naively if there’s genuine data to support your condescension. I genuinely can’t tell amidst the chaos out there.

I am writing this from hospital recovering from Covid - I have been in since Boxing Day having developed high temperature the Sunday before Christmas. It hit my lungs pretty hard after day 10/11. I am 50 with no underlying health conditions slim and relatively fit. I should not have had it that bad but I did-the doctors say there is no certainty how the virus will interact with your body however young or fit you are. I have seen a lot of younger people in hospital too so do not make assumptions about your ability to “fight” the virus based on your age/ health / fitness. Statistically I am in the lower risk category but I still ended up in hospital!

I am writing this from hospital recovering from Covid - I have been in since Boxing Day having developed high temperature the Sunday before Christmas. It hit my lungs pretty hard after day 10/11. I am 50 with no underlying health conditions slim and relatively fit. I should not have had it that bad but I did-the doctors say there is no certainty how the virus will interact with your body however young or fit you are. I have seen a lot of younger people in hospital too so do not make assumptions about your ability to “fight” the virus based on your age/ health / fitness. Statistically I am in the lower risk category but I still ended up in hospital!

Sorry to hear you've had it so badly, and hope you're properly on the mend. Good luck.

Blimey. Scary stuff! Good to read you are recovering. Best of luck.

Best wishes for your recovery

The few people I have spoken to in the past year who have also studied viruses in their life have said this has been the wrong way to lockdown and isolate a virus. Lockdown has to mean lockdown either in its entirety for a short while (logistical nightmare) or isolate the old and vulnerable with state funded deliveries to them by the rest of us (cheaper for the economy) whilst the rest of us get on with it, have mild illness and develop herd immunity. If that is correct, ....

Erm, it isn't quite correct. It may misunderstand the meaning of "Herd Immunity".

1) Infections evolve and mutate. This means even when you may have survived one infection they can come back later and have another go, with a different variant.

2) The more people who we let become infected, the longer the infection is around, and the more chances we give it to do (1).

3) Having been infected and recovering doesn't automatically give you life-long total immunity to either the variant you had or to any new variants.

4) Neither previous infection nor vaccination ensure with perfect certainty that you can't get infected again later. Nor does it guarantee you then won't infect others. Even for the variation designed for the variant you were exposed to. Its main effect is to reduce the seriousness of any future infection by giving your immune system a 'head start'. So you may be less unwell (to the point that you don't even notice you are infected) or may then not generate enough infection 'load' to have much chance of infecting others.

The point of vaccination is to reduce deaths and serious illnesses, and reduce the infection rates. This then makes the infection easier to reduce further by other measures and get control of the situation and a state where most people are OK, and infections can be chased down without the NHS crashing and burning.

So: Without effective vaccinations and/or social measures to break the infection chains, "Herd Immunity" is either a myth, or means repeated infections, year after year, each time killing and maiming some people. Stress on NHS workers, etc.

Infections like smallpox were eventually eliminated by 'ring vaccination' which requires being able to find every case and then stop them infecting anyone else. Not by mass vaccination trying to 'catch up'.

Sadly, the common view of "Herd Immunity" seems akin to cows in a field feeling they are "immune" to the farmer sending them to the slaughterhouse because they weren't put on the most recent lorry!

Dose BloJo understand any of this, or even that water is wet? I doubt it. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back