advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to watch PMQs on YouTube as I was busy at work.

What got my goat, and it shouldn't have, is the people sat next to him and behind, seemingly nodding in approval of Boris.

Found it bizarre. I genuinely feel slightly ashamed that Sajid Javid is my local MP.

Today's Guardian has an analysis piece on good old Dom. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...dominic-cummings-briefing-war-against-johnson

Cummings is said to have reacted to the negative stories by warning Johnson: “I have never briefed against you: believe me, when I do, you’ll ****ing know about it.”

In that sense, Cummings has certainly been true to his word.

Key advisers, bound usually by a residual loyalty, normally remain relatively quiet after they depart a prime minister’s side. But Cummings has always been different, and armed with his knowledge of a year and a half at the very top of government, he has been willing to fight back ever since.
And the final comment
Few believe that the public briefing will stop here.

“Cummings is the kind of person who, once he focuses on something keeps going and going until he feels he has won,” said one former political associate who worked with him on the Vote Leave campaign in 2016. “It’s what makes him difficult and what makes him brilliant.”

What got my goat, and it shouldn't have, is the people sat next to him and behind, seemingly nodding in approval of Boris.

This is the thing I can’t understand. I don’t get tribalism/blind loyalty etc. There is a seemingly endless supply of people on all sides of the house prepared to side with the clearly wrong/untenable and lie directly to camera for just £86k a year. I don’t understand it. There was yet another dickhead Tory MP, Brandon Lewis, on Sky earlier lying for Johnson. I was watching it thinking what an utter spineless prick he was to put himself in that position. It was obvious he was lying, we knew it, he knew it, Kay Burley knew it. Why go on? The lack of dignity that requires is astonishing. A concise TV broadcast to his electorate that he has absolutely zero integrity.

Any one of us would have been sacked from our jobs for the common MP fraud of fiddling expense claims.
As for putting our mistress on the payroll as BJ did they would probably call the police in too.
And for giving contracts to mates you would never work again. .....

except with one of those mates....

UK is not a banana republic only because it is not a republic.

I ask myself how poignant a memory will "Partygate" be in a couple of years time.
Not really in the same league as "Sexing Up" a weapons dossier in order to sanction a war.
What we might have here is a storm in a teacup, flash in a pan type thing with not enough substance to last until the next election.
Just my IMO at the current state of play.

I disagree. The point is that for many people in the UK this feels more personal than the lies wrt Iraq. I'll be painfully honest as I think many others will feel the same but may not say it:

My worse nightmare/fear now I'm 'old' is that I, or my wife, may die *without* us being together and say how much we love them, and say our goodbyes. Perferrably being able to hug or hold hands. Maybe this is because my wife has nearly died more than once in the past. And because I bitterly regret I wasn't present when either of my parents died. I suspect *many* people will see this issue as 'personal' in a way that is quite unlike the Iraq lies.

I did hesitate to write the above as it is quite personal and emotional, so embarassing. But I guess that's the point and why I decided to add it here.

Many will overlook BloJo's behaviour, but others never will, nor will their families. And anyone who votes for him will be tainted by what he did, and the way he has tried to lie, and lie, and lie, his way out of it.

I don’t want Johnson to go down in history as the PM who resigned/was forced out due to partying. I want this whole government to be recorded as corrupt, venal, and rotten to its very core, as that is the truth. They are all Boris Johnson. Every last one of them.

I don't agree with the last two statements. I've known some Tories who do good work of various kinds. Indeed, I've already heard some say BloJo shoud go and others never wanted him. But overall, those who float to the top and have supported him do tend to be as you assume.

I don't agree with the last two statements. I've known some Tories who do good work of various kinds. Indeed, I've already heard some say BloJo shoud go and others never wanted him. But overall, those who float to the top and have supported him do tend to be as you assume.

I would have agreed with you a few years ago before Johnson and Cummings took over the Tory Party expelling or forcing out all the moderates (i.e. the ones who hadn’t already fled to Change UK). This Conservative Party is the mirror of Trump’s Republican Party, I’d argue it had more in common with QAnon than Ted Heath!

I don't agree with the last two statements. I've known some Tories who do good work of various kinds.
I'm sure that's right, but by aligning themselves with a party whose ideology firstly elects BloJo as leader then keeps doubling down on the lies, corruption and hypocrisy not calling it out, they show themselves as willing to be in the same camp as these types. If we assume they do so because they can't countenance jumping to any of the other parties, that tells you something about where they think their heart and values lie. Doesn't it?

I had to watch PMQs on YouTube as I was busy at work.

Found it bizarre. I genuinely feel slightly ashamed that Sajid Javid is my local MP.
Peak irony was when The Culprit replied to to the leader of the opposition with “how he chooses to conduct himself in this house is a matter for him” after Starmer accused him of misleading Parliament. The known liar and cheat addressing a former Director of Public Prosecutions thus, brought forth spontaneous guffawing that was a delight to behold.

I don’t want Johnson to go down in history as the PM who resigned/was forced out due to partying. I want this whole government to be recorded as corrupt, venal, and rotten to its very core, as that is the truth. They are all Boris Johnson. Every last one of them.
The issue with the huge corruption around government contracts is they often appear abstract and remote from ordinary people. Whereas partying whilst ordinary people’s loved ones were dying alone in hospital wards and care homes- essentially pissing on their graves- hits home to a much bigger cohort. Personally I’m unconcerned with the issue that finally forces him out, as long as he is forced out. After all, they eventually nailed Al Capone for income tax evasion but they still got him.

All this tedious stuff currently on the media of people repeatedly saying ‘he’s taking us for fools etc’.

Well yeh...eh! Like, why change a winning formula?

Give it time and there will still be sufficient numbers willing to vote to return them (him even) at the next election.

In case this comes across as just a bit too cynical given some of what others have written here, I should add that on 12 May 2020, my then aged 89 yr old Mother fell in her flat, badly fracturing her shoulder and wrist. Of course I wasn’t able to get to see her in hospital, and with her existing health conditions I seriously doubted she’d come through it (she did – sort of). A distressing situation made even more difficult by the restrictions which we accepted as part of what the whole of society was enduring, together, for the common good. No such thing as 'society' of course.

I'm somewhat in two minds about Johnson resigning. One one hand he is an absolute tool and a hypocrite and really should be resigning for the way he's treated the public and parliament. On the other hand he is the biggest asset that the SNP current have, and must be shifting the electorate in Scotland further towards an independence Yes vote.

Of course the Tory party is definitely not short of arseholes so he will likely be replaced by someone that's also of assistance to the SNP.

Of course if Sunak or Truss or Gove were at any of the 'events' or other similar ones they can't really get rid of BoJo... I wonder if this is why other pictures have yet to emerfe

Before we wish for Boris' departure, let's just recall the likely candidates for his replacement. Firstly, do we think they'll do this important job at all well; and secondly, do we think they'll improve the Tories' chances of reelection? The party is likely to ask itself the second question, the first seems irrelevant to it, which is a big part of the problem.

The other big part of the problem is that being successful at reelection doesn't seem to depend on doing a good job on the first.

I'm somewhat in two minds about Johnson resigning. One one hand he is an absolute tool and a hypocrite and really should be resigning for the way he's treated the public and parliament. On the other hand he is the biggest asset that the SNP current have, and must be shifting the electorate in Scotland further towards an independence Yes vote.

Of course the Tory party is definitely not short of arseholes so he will likely be replaced by someone that's also of assistance to the SNP.
That's Kinda my thoughts too. He's doing as much, or more, than the SNP for Scottish Independence. However, there are plenty waiting in line who can do a similar job.

Ross called for Johnson to go. That seems to me a good move; distancing itself from the Westminster party.

No 10 spokesperson has announced that a member of the Johnson family tested positive for covid yesterday so the PM will be isolating for the next week and limiting his contacts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back