advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Check out the new Alfa Mist video:

The visuals go properly mad as the video progresses...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Check out harpist Amanda Whiting. I loved her 'After Dark' album, and really liking this new one too:

Think Gondwana-vibe. Chip Wickham plays on it too.

Check out harpist Amanda Whiting. I loved her 'After Dark' album, and really liking this new one too:

Think Gondwana-vibe. Chip Wickham plays on it too.
Yes, I like this a lot, and as you say definitely Gondwana-esque.
Can anyone name a male jazz harp player?

I've played "nublues" by Joel Ross a few times recently - mellow vibes with Immanuel Wilkins on alto. Fits well with the mood of the Amanda Whiting album.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/nublues-Joel-Ross/dp/B0CPS71CRX/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Nice interview with Shabaka in the Graun. I suspect not everyone is going to be a fan of his new flute-y direction but I'm looking forward to listening to the new record.

Excellent interview. I think Shabaka is probably quite mad or at the least very neuro diverse as is so often the case with the artistically talented, but in the best possible way.

Interesting new album, Gratitude, from Cassie Kinoshi‘s Seed (Amazon). Side 1 (33rpm) is a lavish orchestral suite, side 2 (45rpm) is a single track and more of the spiritual soul jazz nature. It is all beautifully recorded and cut by International Anthem. There is a colour variant, and with a bit of google-searching around I managed to snag a signed black one (I’ll always take an autograph over a colour variant). Definitely worth a listen IMO.

PS For those unfamiliar with the name, other than Seed Ensemble she’s been part of Kokoroko, Nubya Garcia’s band, Nerjia etc.

Interesting new album, Gratitude, from Cassie Kinoshi‘s Seed (Amazon). Side 1 (33rpm) is a lavish orchestral suite, side 2 (45rpm) is a single track and more of the spiritual soul jazz nature. It is all beautifully recorded and cut by International Anthem. There is a colour variant, and with a bit of google-searching around I managed to snag a signed black one (I’ll always take an autograph over a colour variant). Definitely worth a listen IMO.

PS For those unfamiliar with the name, other than Seed Ensemble she’s been part of Kokoroko, Nubya Garcia’s band, Nerjia etc.

Sounds interesting. The Seed Ensemble record was great.

This album, titled Gratitude, was recorded at the Southbank Centre’s Purcell Room in March 2023 and brings her working band Seed together with the London Contemporary Orchestra and turntablist NikNak. Themed on the search for optimism in the daily grind, the four-part Gratitude suite finds sweeping strings juxtaposed with angular brass and a strong pulse.

The album ends with “Smoke in the Sun”, recorded by Seed at north London’s Total Refreshment Centre in 2021. Here, sheens of brass overlap and Kinoshi probes purposefully on ripe-toned alto sax. The track rounds the Gratitude suite up to album length, though at under 30 minutes, playing time remains short.

Yes, it’s definitely short, the main suite is 21:56, so was able to be cut nicely (it is a very good sounding record). I’d always far prefer a good short album to one with filler, this could maybe have done with another track on side 2, but I’m not complaining. Far too many modern albums are too long for one LP so tend to sound like crap. All those amazing Blue Notes had three 6 minute tracks a side, or two slightly longer ones. They sound so amazing because there was no compromise in cutting. I’m a fan of the short-lived 1980s ‘mini-LP’ format too; three or four short indie tracks a side, maybe cut at 45. They sound great!

…just stuck Driftglass on (vinyl long sold out, CD here) and I’d forgotten just how good it was. Such a great funky feel. I do miss That London, it would be great to have been around for this whole scene.

…just stuck Driftglass on (vinyl long sold out, CD here) and I’d forgotten just how good it was. Such a great funky feel. I do miss That London, it would be great to have been around for this whole scene.
...and i was listening to it yesterday (on vinyl) - side 1 is a constant whenever I want to evaluate a change tot he system. Hard to pick a standout, but Theon Cross' solo on track 1 always blows me away......

Thanks for the prompt. Picked up a signed one too! Should be here on Saturday.

There seems to be quite a lot of very good European jazz at the moment. Here's a young Polish trio that impressed me. Well worth searching through youtube to find this sort of stuff.

advertisement

Back