advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Cool, just taken a punt on that as I liked the Night Dreamer direct cut. Recordstore.co.uk have a signed blue limited copy, so I went for that. No idea what the issue number is, can’t imagine too many if she’s signing them. Rough Trade have a 500 limited yellow one which I suspect will move fast too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
New Anthony Joseph album 'The Rich Are Only Defeated When Running for Their Lives' out today.

Great band with Jason Yarde, Shabaka Hutchings, Colin Webster and Denys Baptiste. I'm really enjoying stream on Bandcamp but £12 shipping on the vinyl (from France) - I'll use it as an excuse to visit Rays Jazz in person and see if they have it.

https://anthonyjosephofficial.bandcamp.com/

New Anthony Joseph album 'The Rich Are Only Defeated When Running for Their Lives' out today.

Great band with Jason Yarde, Shabaka Hutchings, Colin Webster and Denys Baptiste. I'm really enjoying stream on Bandcamp but £12 shipping on the vinyl (from France) - I'll use it as an excuse to visit Rays Jazz in person and see if they have it

https://anthonyjosephofficial.bandcamp.com/

Yes, this is very good.
The LP seems to be available from Sister Ray and is due in at Normans.

New Sons Of Kemet album Black To The Future has just landed (mine is bright orange vinyl). Very good so far, it has vocals at times which shifts the always underlying political content of Shabaka Hutchings right up into the foreground. It is a proper protest album and all the better for it IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
New Sons Of Kemet album Black To The Future has just landed (mine is bright orange vinyl). Very good so far, it has vocals at times which shifts the always underlying political content of Shabaka Hutchings right up into the foreground. It is a proper protest album and all the better for it IMO.

Been streaming this all day - so good. I’ve never come across them before but I think I’m going to have to buy this!

Been streaming this all day - so good. I’ve never come across them before but I think I’m going to have to buy this!

Look at Shabaka Hutchings other bands too if you are new to his work; Shabaka And The Ancestors and The Comet Is Coming, plus he crops up on other people’s albums now and again. A remarkably talented and creative force at present. There is just so much incredible music coming out of That London at the moment.

A very different prospect to Sons Of Kemet but some folk interested in Shabaka might also enjoy his work with Louis Moholo's 5 Blokes.

There's a 5 Blokes live album on Ogun from a few years ago (CD only) but here's a nicely recorded concert from Bimhaus.

For me this is some of the most emotive music there is - impossible for me to listen to without welling up.

Louis is 81 now and his health isn't the best but I hope I get to see 5 Blokes play again.

Look at Shabaka Hutchings other bands too if you are new to his work; Shabaka And The Ancestors and The Comet Is Coming, plus he crops up on other people’s albums now and again. A remarkably talented and creative force at present. There is just so much incredible music coming out of That London at the moment.
There certainly is although it can be a expensive if you go down all the various branches. Lots of great music and lots of appearances on each others music.

There is even this family tree which was done in 2018.
https://medium.com/@ktcita/the-london-jazz-map-c9650e615bb4

PDF version

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WYkW7H_pPIJajB9vaCbQQRS0NGlLsjgH/view

That is a really useful graphic/family tree! I’ve really deep-dived this whole area over the past year or two (and spent a fortune doing so!) so a lot is represented in my collection now. So much amazing stuff happening.

Jakob Bro’s albums are all remarkably fine. Listening to Bay or Rainbows after a few whisky’s watching the Leicester win, with the late evening streaming through the windows. The world is pleasantly mellow.

Black To The Future arrived this morning. Not had chance to listen yet. But if it’s possible to designate an album of the year purely by looks then this, in Impulse! orange vinyl is the winner!

advertisement

Back