advertisement

A new wireless bridge and ethernet cable.

Mike Hughes

pfm Member
With apologies to those of you who frequent other forums and may see similar there from me. I’m seeking advice from as large a pool as possible.

Having moved on from my Naim source I’ve spent much of the last year enjoying music more than I have in years. Still through Naim amplification. This despite using a very cheap wireless bridge recommended by a dealer as a way to get going. Outside of ludicrous amounts of music listening I’ve spent time to get the right resting place for 2,000 CDs and have finally purchased a separate solution for the covers/booklets so that they are accessible from under the sofa. So, it’s finally time to move forward on other matters.

Located next to the pre and streamer this cheap wireless bridge introduces audible noise into the system. It can’t be located elsewhere as it relies on a piece of very short and hard-wired piece of CAT 5. To make this worse I’ve run out of sockets and it currently shares a power socket with my Chord DAC. Extra sockets are not practical. Even if they were, they don’t solve the noise issue.

A run of ethernet from router to streamer would be ideal but can’t be done without a level of upheaval that would be unacceptable to all given other works which need to be funded this year and next. I appreciate that someone will always post with the best of intentions that “nevertheless if you could just run ethernet from…” but it really is off the table.

Now, I could in theory go to something like an Innuos PhoenixNET; plug it in on the other side of the living room (sorry, “lounge”) with a 3m run of ethernet across the front of fireplace but it seems to me that the more sensible first step is to replace the bridge with something better quality; plug that in the other side of the living room and run some ethernet from that.

I already have Chord Epic from streamer to DAC and from DAC to the 202 so the obvious choice of ethernet would also be Epic. However, it strikes me that my better first step would be a relocated and new, good quality bridge accompanied by relatively cheap ethernet (3m at most I think) to see how that impacts the audible noise and sound quality in general.

Best options on the former appear to be TP-Link. Best options on the latter appear to be… well I’m not sure. Where I come unstuck is that TP-Link have an array of available devices which is utterly bewildering. I have certain criteria but even when applied I remain bewildered. Any help to narrow down my choices would be much appreciated as would thoughts on cheap cables. Ideally I’d not want this to descend into a discussion on cables.

Current broadband is a rock solid 145Mbps. At peak there are, I think, up to 21 devices using wireless broadband.

My focus is very much on a good workable bridge. The ethernet cable, any ethernet cable, cannot be any worse than the thing attached to the current bridge so, whilst advice on cheap cable would be great my feeling is that the bridge is the priority.

The location for the new bridge will be very visible. I don’t want anything too big as we’re talking a run of sockets which already struggle to accommodate TV, DVD and a Sky Q box. I also don’t want anything with very conspicuous flashing lights. Current bridge ceaselessly flashes blue and green but is at least hidden from view via Blu Tac down the side of my Hutter rack.

Two reasons re: the flashing lights. Firstly, Mrs. H. will complain if there is something constantly flashing away conspicuously whilst trying to relax, watch TV or listening to music. Secondly, one of my eye conditions means my vision will be constantly drawn to said flashing lights.

So, having spewed all that, which TP-Link device and why? Anyone with experience of decent alternatives with Naim amplification would also be helpful. I get a sense TP-Link are both the best and rather prolific. If you think otherwise then by all means offer alternatives.

Have you got a mesh system in your house? My NAS is connected to my internet router in the office (other end of the house), but the streamer is connected to one of my mesh devices in the lounge via an ethernet cable. Seems to work well.

Apologies. Missed out a detail I thought would be obvious. My streamer is an Innuos Zenith 3. There is no option to connect by wi-fi. Thus the bridge is needed.

Have you got a mesh system in your house? My NAS is connected to my internet router in the office (other end of the house), but the streamer is connected to one of my mesh devices in the lounge via an ethernet cable. Seems to work well.

No, mesh not needed because the wi-fi is rock solid in every room. Don’t want to mess about with mesh to be honest unless it was required for other reasons. Thus, simply a better wireless bridge.

I would try an inexpensive switch and see what that does for the noise issue.

Thanks but surely a switch requires ethernet in and out? The ethernet in would need to be connected to… a wireless bridge. Thus that’s what I’m in the market for.

If I then wanted to improve things further my first step would be the cable and my second would be the switch. As I’ve an Innuos streamer then much further down the line I’d maybe look at a PhoenixNET but, again, it needs to be fed by a wireless bridge. Thus that’s where I’m starting. If I bought a switch now it doesn’t solve the issue of the DAC and cheap bridge sharing a power socket and it would thus be located on the side of the living room where there is no spare socket.

So, to cut a long story short, is it a wireless bridge aka Access Point aka Wireless to Ethernet adaptor that sounds good that you are after?

It may well be a lot easier than you think to re-route a wire. My dealer put one under the stairs & under floorboards into music room. Took less than 20 minutes.

Houses are designed to allow the routing of wires.

At the very least look into it given the investment you have already made.

I think you already know the real solution is either get an IT cabling guy in or get in a sparky to run a dedicated mains supply for the Hi Fi.

Option - use a Router as a wireless bridge along with a 3rd party linear power supply.

No, mesh not needed because the wi-fi is rock solid in every room. Don’t want to mess about with mesh to be honest unless it was required for other reasons. Thus, simply a better wireless bridge.
But a mesh system can work like a (very good) wireless bridge because the nodes typically have Ethernet ports, so you would just stick a node somewhere handy and wire it into your hifi.

Two things.

No, as per the original post, a run of ethernet is not an option. Has already been done to death by two electricians and it would take weeks to do in this house. Would require ripping out several thousand pounds worth of study furniture just to get one carpet up and that’s just to start the process. Getting that cable to the living room would involve going through 4 walls and much more besides. I won’t bore you with the rest if it but I would not have posted the question if a decent run of ethernet was possible. So, thank you but wholly incorrect @Amber Audio and @Woodface although I did predict exactly those responses in the original post.

Also a router as a bridge is generally a poor idea. I will of course be adding an LPS to my router at some point though.

Abyway, anyone able to offer something on the actual question?

Wow, you’re a piece of work.

Not really. I put plenty of detail in my original post and, if I say ethernet isn’t an option, then I’d assume most people would take that as given else why not get it done and why post this specific question. It takes a particular sort of person to read all that and go “nah, they’re definitely wrong and just a little stupid so I’ll put them right”. I even gave a heads up that I was aware that some people would inevitably be unable to resist and… here you are. Presumably you’ll only be satisfied it can be ruled out if I post a house plan?

I’ve put you on ignore as I won’t be escalating further. I’m just looking for help on the original quest thanks.

Now, I really can’t be arsed with bickering so back on topic…

Two things.

No, as per the original post, a run of ethernet is not an option. Has already been done to death by two electricians and it would take weeks to do in this house. Would require ripping out several thousand pounds worth of study furniture just to get one carpet up and that’s just to start the process. Getting that cable to the loving room would involve going through r walls and much more besides. I won’t bore you with the rest if it but I would not have posted the question if a decent run of ethernet was possible. So, thank you but wholly incorrect @Amber Audio and @Woodface although I did predict exactly those responses in the original post.

Also a router as a bridge is generally a poor idea. I will of course be adding an LPS to my router at some point though.

Abyway, anyone able to offer something on the actual question?
Why is a Router a bad idea as a wireless bridge?

Mesh is a perfectly valid option too.

Jeez, if you knew anything about IT you wouldn’t be posting the questions you are, instead you’d be running a couple of routers as your wireless bridge both running DD-WRT Firmware with one as a Repeater Bridge - look it up on Google. There’s plenty of ways to run cabling discreetly in old buildings, I’ve done castles and listed buildings.

Anyway I’m out.

Not really. I put plenty of detail in my original post and, if I say ethernet isn’t an option, then I’d assume most people would take that as given else why not get it done and why post this specific question. It takes a particular sort of person to read all that and go “nah, they’re definitely wrong and just a little stupid so I’ll put them right”. I even gave a heads up that I was aware that some people would inevitably be unable to resist and… here you are. Presumably you’ll only be satisfied it can be ruled out if I post a house plan?

Now, I really can’t be arsed with bickering so back on topic…
Nope, only going off my own experience & it being easier than I thought it would be. No need to be so aggressive.

The other alternative is to go for a wireless based HD solution like a Melco? I have an Innuos myself but knew I would need a wired connection to make it work. But I’m just an average idiot.

Sorry, I’ll put my MCSE badge back in the drawer.

You can use a router as a bridge. There are multiple reasons why it’s not a great idea. Feel free to start another thread and I’ll happily answer there but not here.

Mesh is also a “valid option” in lots of scenarios but not here. A re-read of the original post should make clear why not. At least two reasons therein. There are indeed plenty of ways to run ethernet in old buildings. However, I don’t live in an old building and I am quite happy with the walk through both electricians gave me separately. It’s possible but at a cost financially and in time that make it a very silly, expensive impractical thing to do. It’s an unusual scenario in a 20 year old house but there you go. Every case is different. Thank you for your input. I am happy you’re out also. Ignore set to avoid further escalating and drift.

The question here is not about getting reliable wi-fi or a better streamer connection. It’s about getting a DAC and bridge off a shared socket and a different version of the latter on the other side of the room to address a noise issue. Longer term plans have already been laid out. The question is solely about which wireless bridge to set the ball rolling.

Last edited:
A sensible first step would seem to be to temporarily try a long ethernet cable from the broadband router to the streamer. That will confirm that the bridge is the problem.

Thank you. Apologies. Should have said. Already done. Instantly quieter. Not perfect. That would be adding an LPS to the router itself and eventually a switch/PhoenixNET.

The bridge works great but it’s a nasty small plastic thing with a centimetres long run of ethernet hardwired in and blue/green lights which are constantly on. That small run of cable goes into the back of the streamer and leaves the whole thing unavoidably next to the streamer and pre. That noise is audible across the room in some circumstances. So, for example, I currently have no music on. If I open up the streamer app on my iPad Pro I can hear that clearly through the speakers.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back