advertisement

A new wireless bridge and ethernet cable.

With apologies to those of you who frequent other forums and may see similar there from me. I’m seeking advice from as large a pool as possible.

Having moved on from my Naim source I’ve spent much of the last year enjoying music more than I have in years. Still through Naim amplification. This despite using a very cheap wireless bridge recommended by a dealer as a way to get going. Outside of ludicrous amounts of music listening I’ve spent time to get the right resting place for 2,000 CDs and have finally purchased a separate solution for the covers/booklets so that they are accessible from under the sofa. So, it’s finally time to move forward on other matters.

Located next to the pre and streamer this cheap wireless bridge introduces audible noise into the system. It can’t be located elsewhere as it relies on a piece of very short and hard-wired piece of CAT 5. To make this worse I’ve run out of sockets and it currently shares a power socket with my Chord DAC. Extra sockets are not practical. Even if they were, they don’t solve the noise issue.

A run of ethernet from router to streamer would be ideal but can’t be done without a level of upheaval that would be unacceptable to all given other works which need to be funded this year and next. I appreciate that someone will always post with the best of intentions that “nevertheless if you could just run ethernet from…” but it really is off the table.

Now, I could in theory go to something like an Innuos PhoenixNET; plug it in on the other side of the living room (sorry, “lounge”) with a 3m run of ethernet across the front of fireplace but it seems to me that the more sensible first step is to replace the bridge with something better quality; plug that in the other side of the living room and run some ethernet from that.

I already have Chord Epic from streamer to DAC and from DAC to the 202 so the obvious choice of ethernet would also be Epic. However, it strikes me that my better first step would be a relocated and new, good quality bridge accompanied by relatively cheap ethernet (3m at most I think) to see how that impacts the audible noise and sound quality in general.

Best options on the former appear to be TP-Link. Best options on the latter appear to be… well I’m not sure. Where I come unstuck is that TP-Link have an array of available devices which is utterly bewildering. I have certain criteria but even when applied I remain bewildered. Any help to narrow down my choices would be much appreciated as would thoughts on cheap cables. Ideally I’d not want this to descend into a discussion on cables.

Current broadband is a rock solid 145Mbps. At peak there are, I think, up to 21 devices using wireless broadband.

My focus is very much on a good workable bridge. The ethernet cable, any ethernet cable, cannot be any worse than the thing attached to the current bridge so, whilst advice on cheap cable would be great my feeling is that the bridge is the priority.

The location for the new bridge will be very visible. I don’t want anything too big as we’re talking a run of sockets which already struggle to accommodate TV, DVD and a Sky Q box. I also don’t want anything with very conspicuous flashing lights. Current bridge ceaselessly flashes blue and green but is at least hidden from view via Blu Tac down the side of my Hutter rack.

Two reasons re: the flashing lights. Firstly, Mrs. H. will complain if there is something constantly flashing away conspicuously whilst trying to relax, watch TV or listening to music. Secondly, one of my eye conditions means my vision will be constantly drawn to said flashing lights.

So, having spewed all that, which TP-Link device and why? Anyone with experience of decent alternatives with Naim amplification would also be helpful. I get a sense TP-Link are both the best and rather prolific. If you think otherwise then by all means offer alternatives.
Any good WIFI to Ethernet adapter should work.

This is what I used to feed microrendu. Worked fine on an LPS.

IOGEAR Ethernet-2-WiFi Universal Wireless Adapter, GWU637,Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018YPW...abc_3C65C0XG0JPZE70E935C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks but surely a switch requires ethernet in and out? The ethernet in would need to be connected to… a wireless bridge. Thus that’s what I’m in the market for.

If I then wanted to improve things further my first step would be the cable and my second would be the switch. As I’ve an Innuos streamer then much further down the line I’d maybe look at a PhoenixNET but, again, it needs to be fed by a wireless bridge. Thus that’s where I’m starting. If I bought a switch now it doesn’t solve the issue of the DAC and cheap bridge sharing a power socket and it would thus be located on the side of the living room where there is no spare socket.

At the moment you have a 'noisy' wireless bridge, as I understand it.

Is this noise caused by the power supply to the bridge or on the ethernet output of the bridge?

If the latter, then an ethernet switch between your bridge and streamer may help.

If caused by smps psu then change to a LPSU

You could also try a decent mains distribution block that isolates each socket. Puritan and others make such things.

The "noise" happens when you open a streamer app on your iPad - have you tried a different app, make any changes to the bit rate etc or are you able to swap out the iPad for something different?

At the moment you have a 'noisy' wireless bridge, as I understand it.

Is this noise caused by the power supply to the bridge or on the ethernet output of the bridge?

If the latter, then an ethernet switch between your bridge and streamer may help.

If caused by smps psu then change to a LPSU

You could also try a decent mains distribution block that isolates each socket. Puritan and others make such things.

I’m sure the power supply must contribute but even switching to an LPS it would be sharing a socket with the DAC, which needs to change. I am aware that further down the line a switch will be needed but given the shortage of sockets it’s impossible on that side of the room or the other. Thus a better bridge which can be relocated first. There already is a mains distribution block for the main system (a Musicline PowerIgel). Ideally I’d put both the DAC and the bridge on that but neither have the appropriate sockets. I think you’re right that there’s something else to consider there. Impact on grounding?

The "noise" happens when you open a streamer app on your iPad - have you tried a different app, make any changes to the bit rate etc or are you able to swap out the iPad for something different?

No the noise is there all the time. All apps generate such noise on all systems but if you have a run of ethernet and a switch you’re not going to hear it. Happens with any app who any device. The noise is demonstrably the innards of the bridge and can be demonstrated by moving it about near the streamer and pre.

I really just need to identify a quality bridge which would allow a 3m run of ethernet. Thus the original post.

Been thinking about this, can't you put an extension between the hard wire out of the bridge to your streamer?

As a side note, i'm constantly amazed that the industry cannot adequately protect its products from the "noise" produced by common domestic appliances. Can't think of any other sort of application where placing the onus on the customer spend on solutions would be considered acceptable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Ray I could indeed. It doesn’t solve the issue of the device itself sharing a socket with the DAC but I’m looking at your link and thinking that the 3m version would solve that and given the cost it has to be worth a go. Given that I was looking at a more expensive bridge but cheap ethernet to begin to solve this I think your suggestion ticks the boxes. Thank you. I am on it now.

Long term this bridge isn’t especially robust but it does currently work so… why not. I can always upgrade the bridge later.

Edit: in my line of work I learned a long time ago that all human beings are crap at visually estimating distance. So, that 3m I needed is actually 4.5m :).

Next task will logically be an LPS for the router assuming this has the desired impact. All suggestions welcome although I may be better starting a separate thread.

I have the same or at least very similar as you in that I have a cable from my Vodaphone modem running around the outside of my house and then into my room, It then connects to a powered splitter or bridge as you call it and from that splits to my Linn ds and tv. It gives no hum or buzz and it doesn't introduce anything either so I can only presume yours is faulty.

Nope. Mine is housed in a small plastic case with green and blue flashing lights and about 8cm of hardwired cheap ethernet cable. It generates noise when placed next to the streamer and pre as it currently must be. If you take any wireless bridge and place it in similar proximity there is much you will hear through your speakers.

Nope. Mine is housed in a small plastic case with green and blue flashing lights and about 8cm of hardwired cheap ethernet cable. It generates noise when placed next to the streamer and pre as it currently must be. If you take any wireless bridge and place it in similar proximity there is much you will hear through your speakers.
I connected my bridge to the microrendu with a 10 cm Ethernet cable and had no issues.

You can always add an Ethernet gender changer and a longer cable to separate it from the streamer.

Deed is done. Instant removal of audible hash but the DAC also obviously benefits from it’s own socket and that’s likely as significant an uplift. The musicians have stepped forward and the clarity between instruments is now even better. Time to sit back and enjoy for a while.

advertisement

Back