advertisement

A new billionaire a day created in the pandemic

A lot of the super rich want to help. In the link (post #6 again). Leon Cooperman (the billionaire) said he would get a lot of emails from people, and he answered most of them, and in some cases gave them money. He gave a lot to charities, the government, and hospitals etc, but that's just equivalent to putting a sticking plaster over the problem, it's not getting to the source.
They need to start educating the population, to fight against the right-wing media, so that people stop voting for these assh*les (Trump/Boris etc). With the right people in power, life would be a lot better for everyone.

One measure that seems simple and obvious (and hopefully not wrong) is to tax all income as income. Preferential tax rates for capital gains is so obviously morally wrong I would have thought it would be an easy sell to the electorate.

The very wealthy have relatively little income and a LOT of capital gain.

If feel you question deserves a longer answer than I gave just now.

If we want to take more wealth from billionaires, we must stop believing the economic lies that justifies enriching the rich and impoverishing the poor. We seem to accept that making the rich richer is a good thing and making the poor poorer is necessary. This trick is achieved by controlling the narrative. We are told that wealth is good and we all benefit from eye watering amounts of money going to rich people because they are wealth creators, which is a good thing. On the other hand we are told that relatively small amounts of money going to the poor or immigrants is money going to scrounges and people seeking to rip us off, taking money away from taxpayers and undermining the NHS, which is a bad thing.

We believe this narrative to such an extent that when the chancellor announces tax rises that come into effect in the very near future and make everyone significantly poorer, and the poorest especially so, there is barely a murmur of protest. There is no challenge to the underlying assumption that the government is like a household that can only spend from income. That government spending is constrained by tax revenue.

We believe that tax rises are necessary to fund our NHS. But if we stopped and thought about it for a moment we might ask how a government that issues the money we have in our pocket can run out of the thing that it issues? If government has its own money that it issues, why does it need more of ours to pay for the NHS?

So when it comes to ideas for stopping the wealthy getting wealthier while the poor get ever poorer, how about we start asking ourselves a few questions, and not accepting government narrative as definitive? not taking political assumptions at face value?

If we want to change wealth distribution, we need to start changing the narrative, and we can start by calling out any voice that says that taxes fund government spending
Thank you for the 12" extended remix version answer and I know, we all know, you are keen on MMT but it does not really answer the conundrum of how governments increase their tax take from the super rich. I suppose another way of looking at it is how do we prevent people from becoming this wealthy in the first place because between economic globalisation of Capitalism and Tax Avoidance schemes I am genuinely at a loss of how to stop this phenomenon.

Thank you for the 12" extended remix version answer and I know, we all know, you are keen on MMT but it does not really answer the conundrum of how governments increase their tax take from the super rich. I suppose another way of looking at it is how do we prevent people from becoming this wealthy in the first place because between economic globalisation of Capitalism and Tax Avoidance schemes I am genuinely at a loss of how to stop this phenomenon.
OK, here’s the 7” flexi version.

As I said, the answer is to realise that the narrative we are being sold on taxation at a personal level is false. If we don’t question that narrative at a basic level how will we ever step up to challenge it at a global level.

If we don't confront the corruption and lies that happens to us at the micro level to justify for example, the imminent NI tax hike, how will we gain the awareness to confront it at at a macro level?

——​

PS. I make this point about tax as a matter of logic and common sense. Yes I have read about MMT, and yes it makes sense in many areas, but that does not make me an MMTist anymore than reading about Christ makes me a Christian, reading the Koran makes me a Muslim or reading Marx makes me a Marxist. The falsehood about tax is not the conclusion of a theory, it is a conclusion arrived at from of plain common sense, questioning my own long held presumptions and realising that the narrative that justifies them does not add up.

I have therefore changed my presumptions. This has not been an easy thing to do. My presumptions are very old and quite embedded. But if we are serious about challenging the eye watering amounts of government generated money that supports the very rich (see The Decade The Rich Won) it should be obvious that our representatives will do nothing and we will have to do something ourselves. It won’t be easy.

I'll confine my comments to international taxation. I'm not an economist, but people like Gabriel Zucman study the effect of financial secrecy and tax havens. They argue for transparency - lists of beneficial owners of companies and property. So that's a start. But we also need to look at the current tax rules and what they allow.

We need to be much more robust about loans from offshore entities, especially to natural persons. For instance, Jacob Rees-Mogg was in the news having borrowed £6m from an offshore company wholly owned by himself. I doubt that he has done anything illegal but it is possible that, by taking it as a loan, he has avoided income tax. What are the loan terms? 0.8% interest. Who will enforce them? Who will check? Would Rees-Mogg take himself to the small claims court in case of non-payment? Anyway, he gets use of the money in the UK without paying income tax. He pays interest effectively to himself, which may be tax deductible in the UK if it's a 'qualifying loan'. And - who knows - the offshore company may not need to pay any tax on the interest income. Clearly, we could change the rules around personal loans from offshore. For instance, we could simply tax them as income.

Also, we should look at corporations. How do they avoid tax? There are 3 main routes (see the 'Tools' section of this Wikipedia entry on Base erosion and profit shifting): transfer pricing, debt-based manipulation, and intellectual property. The OECD is working on these (see Wiki) but it is slow and, in my view, too timid.
  • Transfer pricing: this is the idea that companies within a group should account for transactions between its constituent companies on an arms-length basis. This is a fair principle. But at scale, it is impossible to be perfectly accurate about the arms-length price. So, companies can often charge slightly higher than they might from low-tax jurisdictions and take a sliver of profits offshore with every transaction.

• Interest charges. Governments allow companies to take loans, and claim the interest charges as a tax deduction. So, companies can set up a Luxembourg company to loan money to a UK company. The interest payments flow to Luxembourg tax-free.

• Intellectual property. Companies charge royalties, licence fees, etc from offshore to reduce their tax liabilities in higher-tax jurisdictions.
At their heart, none of these methods are complex. You make your company pay for something in a tax haven/secrecy jurisdiction, and you claim the tax deduction/expense in the UK. That's all. So it's a matter of what tax deductions/expenses we allow.

The tax code is basically a hundred years out of date. Robust changes are scary to wealthy countries, who fear that they will kill the goose that lays the golden egg if they change the rules. So they prefer to think in terms of 'preventing abuses' of the rules. But it only takes the political will to change and the tax code could be tilted very much in favour of the average citizen of wealthy countries. It might hit 'competitiveness', but what good is 'competitiveness' if the mass of people in your country derive no net benefit from it? In those circumstances, i.e. our present circumstances (see 'The Decade The Rich Won'), 'competitiveness' sows the seeds of a discontent that corrodes the fabric of a society and opens the way to authoritarianism. If we want a democratic society, where power is accountable and wealth doesn't dominate and corrupt our institutions, things need to change.

I agree that competitiveness is overrated. Competitiveness tends to mean low pay. I would rather be well off and uncompetitive .

Last edited:
people like Gabriel Zucman study the effect of financial secrecy and tax havens. They argue for transparency - lists of beneficial owners of companies and property.
Talking of which, there's a story in the Guardian today about how Theresa May's government appear to have prevented the introduction of a public register of overseas ownership for UK property.
The Guardian said:
[Lord] Faulks, who has just completed a government commissioned report on judicial review, said “over a period of five years successive ministers [...] offered me emollient promises that the issue was in hand. What has happened? Absolutely nothing. In the meantime, frankly, we look like a laughing stock. We are not responding to the threat of economic crime. Instead, we are giving away golden visas and the rest of the world must think we simply do not care”.

I agree that competitiveness is overrated. Competitiveness tend to mean low pay. I would rather be well off and uncompetitive .
Competition is the opposite to cooperation. I know I'd prefer to live in a society where cooperation was more highly valued than competitiveness. Not sure how we get there, unfortunately.

If you ever need motivating, you're closer to being a multi-millionaire than Jeff Bezos is.

advertisement

Back