advertisement

A new billionaire a day created in the pandemic

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
The pandemic has made the world's wealthiest far richer but has led to more people living in poverty, according to the charity Oxfam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60015294

"There's been a new billionaire created almost every day during this pandemic, meanwhile 99% of the world's population are worse off”

"Something is deeply flawed with our economic system"

Basically the study measures wealth as value of assets less debts. Of course, if governments continue to pour cheap money into the system the "value" of said assets will rise in tandem.

Everyone likes cheap money, it makes peoples' house go up in "value" and they can buy a posh car with their overvalued stocks or crypto (or lease one with the easy money).

Ergo we are screwed.

It would be less depressing if there was a hint that perhaps people will vote for change, but here in the US they're just as likely to put Republicans in the majority in both houses this year. I wonder how bad it has to get before the pendulum starts to swing back - I shudder to think how far.

It would be less depressing if there was a hint that perhaps people will vote for change, but here in the US they're just as likely to put Republicans in the majority in both houses this year. I wonder how bad it has to get before the pendulum starts to swing back - I shudder to think how far.
I’m deeply troubled by the scenario of a Trump comeback in 2024 (or his acolyte). The signs are there, extremely dangerous.

I’m deeply troubled by the scenario of a Trump comeback in 2024 (or his acolyte). The signs are there, extremely dangerous.

According to the link I left, he spends $70,000 a year on his hair!

Indeed, then programme The Decade the Rich Won on last week argued that most of the money created by Central Banks for quantitative easing ended up in the pockets of the already super rich.

Does anybody have ideas on how to ensure the state takes more wealth from these people?

Indeed, then programme The Decade the Rich Won on last week argued that most of the money created by Central Banks for quantitative easing ended up in the pockets of the already super rich.

Does anybody have ideas on how to ensure the state takes more wealth from these people?
Yes, stop voting for the lies that enable such corruption.

A lot of the super rich want to help. In the link (post #6 again). Leon Cooperman (the billionaire) said he would get a lot of emails from people, and he answered most of them, and in some cases gave them money. He gave a lot to charities, the government, and hospitals etc, but that's just equivalent to putting a sticking plaster over the problem, it's not getting to the source.
They need to start educating the population, to fight against the right-wing media, so that people stop voting for these assh*les (Trump/Boris etc). With the right people in power, life would be a lot better for everyone.

If feel you question deserves a longer answer than I gave just now.

If we want to take more wealth from billionaires, we must stop believing the economic lies that justifies enriching the rich and impoverishing the poor. We seem to accept that making the rich richer is a good thing and making the poor poorer is necessary. This trick is achieved by controlling the narrative. We are told that wealth is good and we all benefit from eye watering amounts of money going to rich people because they are wealth creators, which is a good thing. On the other hand we are told that relatively small amounts of money going to the poor or immigrants is money going to scrounges and people seeking to rip us off, taking money away from taxpayers and undermining the NHS, which is a bad thing.

We believe this narrative to such an extent that when the chancellor announces tax rises that come into effect in the very near future and make everyone significantly poorer, and the poorest especially so, there is barely a murmur of protest. There is no challenge to the underlying assumption that the government is like a household that can only spend from income. That government spending is constrained by tax revenue.

We believe that tax rises are necessary to fund our NHS. But if we stopped and thought about it for a moment we might ask how a government that issues the money we have in our pocket can run out of the thing that it issues? If government has its own money that it issues, why does it need more of ours to pay for the NHS?

So when it comes to ideas for stopping the wealthy getting wealthier while the poor get ever poorer, how about we start asking ourselves a few questions, and not accepting government narrative as definitive? not taking political assumptions at face value?

If we want to change wealth distribution, we need to start changing the narrative, and we can start by calling out any voice that says that taxes fund government spending

advertisement

Back