advertisement

A list of the downsides of Brexit

That dreams been thoroughly pissed on, sorry. I thought similar, in maybe 7-8 years time. French Jura, or northern Spain. Nope. Not now. Caravan in Cleethorpes now.

As an recently retired French teacher, going to live in France was always the plan. Brexit (the vote was in the year I retired, and I was standing on a platform of a railway station near Düsseldorf with a school exchange group on the morning the result of the referendum came in) in its many forms put paid to that. Our plan was to go somewhere towards the Massif Central, la Creuse, maybe.

With the deal done, my gold plated pension doesn't even meet the earnings requirements to qualify us for residence in France, nevermind leave us enough to cover a mutuelle for the health care, and that's before the £-€ deteriorates futher.

We could have taken the risk when I first retired, I suppose, but both our fathers were on their last legs and have recently died, mine of Covid in May, and my wife's fortunately the Christmas before.

Worse things happen, but it's bloody annoying, and for what ? Just so that the rich Tory ******** can empty the state coffers.

Actually, it's all just bloody sh1t and I'm furious still. Not good for one ! I'm just so glad that two of my offspring are out, one in Ireland and the other in Barcelona. Neither has any intention of returning.

Actually, with gov't giving pay outs to send EU citizens back, maybe they could extend the deal to Remainers who want to get out, too. That would leave them a nicely "cleansed" state over which to lord their sovereignty.

Oh, and by the way, Aldi seems, mysteriously to be short of its "Special Buys" this week. From their website: "Unfortunately some Specialbuys may not be available as advertised. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and hope that these products will be available in store and online very shortly."

Yes, but EV, BarronBot and Brain are not on this thread yet. Make it a peaceful place. It's possible they may come back with some positives, in which case, we can link directly to the other thread.
I’m not aware of your posts or of posting anything to you. Have I upset you, my friend, and if so, how? From your post it appears you don’t respect the notion of a vote being a private matter. Is that correct?

No German Riesling in Waitrose. The guy said that they are having problems with shipments from all Europe -- not just wine but vegetables too (aubergines were mentioned)

I predict this thread will be bad for our collective mental health. Brexit is an enormous sh*t sandwich, but as Steve says it's done - now everyone must deal with it as best they can

I'm dealing with it by hoping we get independence to allow us back into the EU before I retire.

No German Riesling in Waitrose. The guy said that they are having problems with shipments from all Europe -- not just wine but vegetables too (aubergines were mentioned)

Don't worry there will be rieslings made in England. In a few years. Probably.

Serious discussion remains impossible.

Indeed it does when you post comments like this:

"I forget, though it’s possible I saw no point in replying to you. Your need to bicker about some inference you make, or misinterpretation is of no interest to me"

That's just belligerence. Apart from the fact that if you don't care whether you are misinterpreted or not, then that also rules out reasoned debate.

"I forget, though it’s possible I saw no point in replying to you. Your need to bicker about some inference you make, or misinterpretation is of no interest to me"

That's just belligerence. Apart from the fact that if you don't care whether you are misinterpreted or not, then that also rules out reasoned debate.
Oddly, Brian's posts are generally incapable of misinterpretation. Apparently. And any misinterpretation Brian does of others' posts, is always because the poster has not expressed themselves clearly.

Well, the other thread has been going for nearly 10,000 posts, without any benefits expressed that I can see, so maybe it would be quicker to list the downsides.

I'm au-fait with importing and exporting to/from EU, and I have my shiny new EORI number and have notified all the shippers that I normally use. So far, so good.

Except, I now find I have to get an EORI number for Norn Iron too? How does that happen? I thought Arlene's Army was part of the UK?

Many congratulations on gaining your EORI number - thats a start, I guess.
Do you have a comprehensive list of EVERY comodity code you need to go against every single item on an invoice?
What are you doing about VAT deferment?
Are you set up with a single transport agency to oversee all of your imports / exports?
If exporting, do you have evidence for the makeup of the item (if made of differing components / com codes and the exact % of those cmponents to state made in the UK? The country of origin of said components & %ages may need checking.
How long do you want me to go on?
As you are discovering - this does not include NI...

Not really. If you pose a loaded question that is an invention of a position I will reply accordingly. I didn’t say I’m not bothered about misinterpretation of posts, I just don’t have any interest in deliberate misinterpretation of posts, it’s obnoxious and infantile. It really is impossible to seriously discuss brexit with hard remainers posting in this thread. It’s a shame as it’s obviously such an important thing.

On topic though, the info you linked to is not a list of 186 downsides of brexit no matter how much you want it to be.

advertisement

Back