advertisement

A list of the downsides of Brexit

Nero

Re: Tired
Well, the other thread has been going for nearly 10,000 posts, without any benefits expressed that I can see, so maybe it would be quicker to list the downsides.

I'm au-fait with importing and exporting to/from EU, and I have my shiny new EORI number and have notified all the shippers that I normally use. So far, so good.

Except, I now find I have to get an EORI number for Norn Iron too? How does that happen? I thought Arlene's Army was part of the UK?

Just do as Johnson suggested in 2019 and throw the paperwork in the bin.

I did suggest that the customer did exactly that with his £500 VAT/duty bill. To be fair, he laughed, but now he has to return the goods, for me to send them again.

Something of a waste of server space as whatever might be listed here will be as nothing compared to the downsides that unfold, especially as, hopefully, the effects of C19 diminish, over the next 5-10 years, and beyond.

Yes, but EV, BarronBot and Brain are not on this thread yet. Make it a peaceful place. It's possible they may come back with some positives, in which case, we can link directly to the other thread.

No point dwelling on it. It's done. We can't yet undo it. The damage is going to be substantial. It's depressing, but from a personal point of view I'm in the group of people who will be least badly affected, so I'm taking some small comfort from that. Others will be more badly affected over the next few years, but as they are largely the demographic that voted for it, they can enjoy lying in the bed they have made.

It'd be useful if the BBC would ask the folks that are outraged by stuff like the additional customs duties, or issues with holidays or retiring abroad what way they voted on Brexit. I recall at the time that a lot of the expats living in Spain etc. voted for Brexit which seemed abject stupidity at the time and is manifestly so now. Another example was the fishery folks complaining about the changes when they also seemed mostly pro-Brexit.

Brexit always seemed racially motivated stupidity to me and so far it seems to be demonstrated as such with nothing but downsides as it comes into force.

Surely the biggest downside of Brexit is our decision the erect barriers to trade has, surprise, surprise, made trade more difficult and more expensive because of the, er, barriers that we’ve put up

I think one big downside is that it's revealed to the rest of the world just how dumb, nationalistic, ill-informed, and easily led, half the population of Britain really are. Or maybe they suspected that already, I don't know :D

No point dwelling on it. It's done. We can't yet undo it. The damage is going to be substantial. It's depressing, but from a personal point of view I'm in the group of people who will be least badly affected, so I'm taking some small comfort from that. Others will be more badly affected over the next few years, but as they are largely the demographic that voted for it, they can enjoy lying in the bed they have made.

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.

SSimNvd.jpg

No point dwelling on it. It's done.

Funnily enough that's the approach lots of small businesses took in the run up to January - no point in dwelling on it, best get prepared and do everything we can to make it work.

Except they're still going bust or being told by the government to set up in the EU if they want to stay in business.

I don't see why the government should be let off the hook (and yes, I fully realise the profound futility of moaning about it on a hi-fi forum! ;))

Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.

SSimNvd.jpg
I was saying this to Signora only today. We are the lucky ones who can weather this storm, largely because we are close to a planned retirement. But it's going to hit a lot of younger and less lucky people, and that will have consequences. I found out yesterday that I qualify for an Italian passport, as long as I improve my Italian - signing up for a course as a speak! All it will do, of course, is speed up my entry and exit to this septic isle

advertisement

Back